Call for Second Singleton Ultimate Draft

B

Budget Player Cadet

Hey... The clan I'm in on MTGSalvation is taking part in the clan contest, In gleemax, I have to support a few YMTC contests, I moderate RealMTG... It's hard, but I'm still here! I don't forget my roots, guys.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We're not asking you to forget your roots.... just remember that we can find you...... and force you to listen to the stylistic renditions of Drunk Spiderman singing "Bohemian Rhapsody"..... over and over again. It's funny the first few times, but you'll start to notice that part of soul if gone....

:D

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

Budget Player Cadet

I mean that THIS is my roots. This here was my first forum site ever, and I'm sticking with you guys.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Modus Pwnens said:
Shattering Spree, you really hate me, don't you turgy? :(
You and everyone else. I'm not sure if you noticed, but there's some pretty good artifacts in this format.

M

Modus Pwnens

Ransac, keep your comments in here please, Creeper of the Netz is obviously Spiderman, and BPC simply forgot to change Turgy into BigBlue

B

Budget Player Cadet

Teh Oopz. Youze guyz don't have much Netz Lingo, mIrite?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It's not that I don't know "Netz Lingo," it's that I refuse to acknowledge most of it. It saddens me to see that intentional mispellings are acceptable forms of communication: pwned, teh, etc.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

Budget Player Cadet

Yeah, yeah...
Sorry, had to do that.
Stopping now.
pwned is misspelled... what?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Budget Player Cadet said:
pwned is misspelled... what?
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Get someone young enough and they don't even understand the retardness of it's origins...

Like most internet talk, "pwned" is derived from a mispelling or abbreviation that goes unchecked because the typer doesn't think it's important to double check what they've wrote. The "p" key is right next to the "o" key, so the word "owned," as in "You got OWNED on that last game, man!!" would commonly be mispelled as "pwned." For some retarded reason or another, this caught on and proves that the masses love to be stupid.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ransac said:
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Get someone young enough and they don't even understand the retardness of it's origins...

Like most internet talk, "pwned" is derived from a mispelling or abbreviation that goes unchecked because the typer doesn't think it's important to double check what they've wrote. The "p" key is right next to the "o" key, so the word "owned," as in "You got OWNED on that last game, man!!" would commonly be mispelled as "pwned." For some retarded reason or another, this caught on and proves that the masses love to be stupid.
Actually, I believe you're a little off on the origins of "pwned" as well.

Obviously, "owned" is slang, meaning getting beaten or embarassed badly. But the "p" didn't come about simply from hitting the wrong key. If that were the case, I don't think it would have stuck around as well as it has. (Unlike "teh", which is a misspelling of a much more common word.)

Back in the day, when people only communicated over the internet through IRC chat rooms, limitations were set up to prevent cursing, usually through a filter that searched out specific words and censored them. So, if someone wanted to tell another person that they were owned to a very high degree, it was difficult to include the "F" word as an adjective. So the "F" was replaced with "PH". Eventually, the censors caught on to this and removed those words as well. Undeterred, the users simply created an abbreviation for the phrase: p'owned. Gradually, this got shortened simply to pwned, although I've also seen it spelled pwnt.

However, I do agree with the premise that it is an extremely stupid word, used by stupid people (or smart people who want to sound stupid), allthough I feel it has more to do with the herd mentality or seeing something and repeating it regardless of merit, as opposed being done in order to propogate ignorance. But that's just my opinion.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
turgy22 said:
Undeterred, the users simply created an abbreviation for the phrase: p'owned.
What is this phrase? p'owned means nothing to me... pounded? I am an internet oldtimer, but I never saw this stuff......

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wouldn't owned be faster to type then p'owned and just as fast as pwned.....
I'd have to go with Ransac's take on this.... seems it's just plain slang....