Bush, anyone?

Z

Zhaneel

Wow, lots of NPR listeners around here.

Protests are necessary, if only to unsettle Bush, to show him that there's a lot of the country that isn't behind him, maybe to even make him think a bit before rushing off to become the next emperor. No protest is ever wasted.

T

train

but when the protested action finally occurs
The reason I said that is because not all protests are a waste... but when the above stated happens... and nothing has changed... that individual protest seems to have been a waste...

I am actually glad that some protests have won over situations... i am happy the purpose those people devoted time to has come to fruition... but on a sliding scale, a slide rule if you will... everything is miniscule to what the government has on it's agenda...

and it is sad to realize that our only say in the matter happens every 2, 4, or 6 years...:rolleyes:

But such is the government our fore-fathers set up...:rolleyes:

Z

Zhaneel

I for one can't wait to vote. I wish more people felt the same way.

A

Apollo

No protest is ever wasted.
Well, actually, when I was visiting Ohio State, there was a group of maybe 15 students protesting out in front of a parking garage. And they all had signs protesting different things. I'm pretty sure nothing came of THAT protest. :p

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I really wish they re-examined voting age. I turn 18 two months after the next president is sworn in... so I get to live with whatever he does from the beginning, despite not being able to vote for him. They should allow you to vote in presidential elections from 17 because you know how they will affect you when you turn 18.

Apollo: I want to say "That's Ohio State for you," but Kent State is in Ohio, right? so never mind... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind that all you're doing is the popular vote; you (the people) don't actually elect the president.

You do get to elect your congresspeople, and since the House Representatives come up every 2 years, you can get in on that pretty easily :)

T

train

And it's the congresspersons who seemingly do the most...

But in visting both senators, and congresspersons... there is just so much more prestige as a senator... and the offices ar emuch nicer...

and on a personal note...

newt was a rude @#$^^%&#@%$^%@#...

Bob dole was really nice though...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by Spiderman
Keep in mind that all you're doing is the popular vote; you (the people) don't actually elect the president.
Whose fault is that? Not the young people.

I might remind you that we wouldn't be in this situation now if the president were chosen along the popular vote... (although I admit that Gore is in no way perfect).

T

train

no we wouldn't be here had the popular vote landed the winning decision...

but we would have seen gore begging for Al-Qaeda to stop bothering us... and watching Gore constantly remove his face from someone's arse!...:rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You'd have to blame the Founders.... :)

And you'd also have to second-guess the other occasions where the popular vote differed from the electoral vote... we might be here yet.

T

train

I'd just like to mention that everything I'd said, from seeding a new government, to aiding Iraq in humanitarian ways was all repeated by Bush last night...

Does that make me psychic...:eek: :cool:

And thoguh he didn't harshly rag on the UN - he should have...

There is no more let's get it over with discussion...

Action is now taking precedence...

The preceding message was brought to you by your local CPA psychic - Train!...:p

E

EricBess

There's a reason for the electoral college. Don't kid yourself about the popular vote being a better way. Gore made a mockary out of the system by declaring Florida before it was clear and before much of the pan handle had voted. Then, insulting our intelligence by claiming that he only wanted to make sure that every vote was counted. Please....

Clinton has come forward and said that he wished he had taken out Hosain. He sat for 8 years without lifting a finger towards that end. Still, makes you wonder if there is information that you don't have, doesn't it...

Regardless, I fear the breakdown of the American family far more than any war that might happen. I saw an editorial wishing for the "good old days" when all we had to worry about was Monica. The breakdown of the American family is far more dangerous than what's going on now.

Anyway, Housain has been lying to us and only cooperating when forced to. He has known terrorist ties. We all want peace, people, but don't kid yourself into thinking that you never have to fight for it.

I'll admit, I don't know enough about the situation to say that war is the correct solution. But I also know that there are many people behind this decision (not such George), so saying that Bush is simply upset about an attack on his Father's life is rediculous.

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by EricBess
He has known terrorist ties.
So far there has been no evidence on that.
He's a cruel dictator, true, but right now he about as threatening to the US as the Jews were to the Germans in the thirties of the past century.
(I obviously don't want to draw a comparision between Saddam and Jews here, just between the level of threat to USA/Germany)

Originally posted by EricBess
I'll admit, I don't know enough about the situation to say that war is the correct solution. But I also know that there are many people behind this decision (not such George), so saying that Bush is simply upset about an attack on his Father's life is rediculous.
Definitely, but it's also ridiculous to think that he does it because he wants to free Iraq.

In all reality George probably also wants to show that he's not the loser of the family, he might even be so delusional to think that he's on a crusade of Good against Evil.

These reasons are actually quite unimprtant, because, obviously, he's a puppet, and his masters are the guys who you should ask for the real reasons for war.

Which are OIL, and a test to see how loyal the other nations and the UN would be to an imperium americanum.

And I guess tax payers want some show for all the money they pump into miltary industry. :rolleyes:

--------

Not that I'm particularly unhappy about Saddam being removed from power. If this war were just about freeing Iraq (such righteous reasons for war are unfotunately always very dubious), I might actually support it as a neccessery evil, if all the diplomatic ways for solving conflicts fail.

--------

Also what's up with Patriot Act I and II? Could you enlighten me on it, are the US on their way to a fascist state? was the 9/11 even a Reichstag fire?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gore made a mockary out of the system by declaring Florida before it was clear and before much of the pan handle had voted
It was my impression that it was the Voters Results Network or whatever reports the results of the vote that was in error and prematurely announced that Gore won Florida.

I agree with the first statement in that I don't know enough about the situation nor am I privy to the info that the government has. However, Bush has surrounded himself with people who are keen on getting Hussein out and while I agree that saying that he's doing this simply out of revenge is foolhardy, one cannot also dismiss the possibility that it is a factor either.

his masters are the guys who you should ask for the real reasons for war.

Which are OIL, and a test to see how loyal the other nations and the UN would be to an imperium americanum.
Again, I disagree with this as there are plenty of other places where the US is getting their oil.

And I guess tax payers want some show for all the money they pump into miltary industry
Which has only really been increased during Bush, I believe... however, I doubt this is a factor at all.

T

train

And I guess tax payers want some show for all the money they pump into miltary industry.
You pay for a show - there should be a show...

So far there has been no evidence on that
The man's married to a family financially supporting Al-Qaeda...

if all the diplomatic ways for solving conflicts fail
Which they have... and only continue to waste more time...

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Spiderman
It was my impression that it was the Voters Results Network or whatever reports the results of the vote that was in error and prematurely announced that Gore won Florida.
My understanding (which may be in error, I admit) was that Gore's people were putting the pressure for them to declare Florida. I don't know who first made the announcement. Regardless, my point was more to the fact that Gore was claiming that he wanted every vote to count due to the fact that there might have been voter error due to a butterfly ballot and sloppy voters. That claim was a bit of a mockery when, at the same time, he didn't call for any revote in the pan handle and was trying to discount military votes due to a clerical error.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I am not informed about that part. Based on my impression that if the Voters Results thingie prematurely announced the resultsst because of confusing early data, I'd say Gore would be well advised to call for a recount. However, I don't know the details of that recount enough to know whether he didn't know when to quit when it looked like he was behind anyway.

T

train

If he'd get his face out of Clinton's patootie he'd know he was behind...

That pun kind of turned in on itself... hmmm...:rolleyes:

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by train
The man's married to a family financially supporting Al-Qaeda...
Could you give me some more informations about this?

Which they have... and only continue to waste more time...
This is not completely true, Saddam began to show more cooperation with the weapon inspectors, with more time, and maybe a bit more pressure to Saddam, this could've been solved in a more peaceful way.
But I guess in your screwed world image, diplomacy probably has no place.

Spidey: The USA needs OIL badly, it could do without the iraqi oil, true.
But it still needs some oil outside of the US, and since they don't want to be too affected by random decisions of the OPEC, they need some way to destroy its power.
Conquering Iraq and making it a non-OPEC oil export country would go a long way towards that goal.

9+11+2+0+0+1=23