Are you ready for some football?

A

Apollo

Spidey's questions, in order:

I assume your offensive/defensive line gets points for sacks/tackles/blocks/interceptions, etc?
You don't draft an offensive line. There just aren't enough really objective stats for them, because of all the chaos that goes on during blocking. The defensive line, and all other defensive players, get points for tackles (.5 pts/tackle), sacks (3 pts/sack), interceptions (3 pts/interception), fumbles forced/recovered (3 pts/fumble) and touchdowns they might score.

Drafting: So we're drafting 25 players but we have no idea what everyone else wants so it's good to rank a lot of players. How many generally is good? 100? 200?
Well. 25 players per team, times 10 teams, is 250 players that will get drafted. The computer has it's own pre-set rankings, so if you only pre-rank 25 it will draft the rest for you and do a decent job. For that reason, you only have to rank as many as you want. The only problem is that the computer rankings for defensive players are messed up, and it will draft crummy guys for you. So you have 3 choices: A) you can pre-rank 250-300 guys, with defensive players at the end (offensive players are more valuable than defensive, so you want to draft defensive towards the end) B) you can only pre-rank as many as you like, and then get on to the site later and drop all the defensive guys the computer picked and pick-up new ones--the best defenders will be gone, but you'll get decent guys C) you can come to the draft and do it yourself. This is the best option, since it makes the draft more fun for everyone, but I guess it doesn't work for you, so you'll have to choose one of the 1st 2 choices.

Do injuries and recoveries mirror real-life? What if someone retires (like Terrell Owens is contemplating)?
That's Terrell Davis that is contemplating retirement. :) If a player gets injured in real life, obviously you want to take him out because he's not getting any stats for you, and put him on your bench. If he's out for the season or a similarly long amount of time, you want to drop him and pick up someone that will play. And if he retires, and you're unfortunate enough to have the poor sap, you just drop him and, again, pick up someone that will play.

When you draft, how are the positions filled? There's only 1 QB spot; do I get just one QB and then move on to fill the other positions? Then when all are filled, I go back to my ranked list or the pre-ranked and take the first available?
Well, I haven't missed a draft yet, so I don't know exactly how it works. But my understanding is that it will follow your pre-rankings until a position is filled. So if you've drafted 2 RB, and the #1 guy left on your list is a RB, it will pick him to fill the RB/WR spot. But if you've drafted 3 RB and the #1 guy is a RB and the #2 is a WR, it will pick the WR because there are no starting spots left for the RB. Then, once all positions are filled, it goes back to your pre-rankings (or the computer's rankings) and picks the top guy each time, no matter the position, to fill bench slots.

I'm asking because I have no idea who good D and DB players are and so I haven't ranked any yet.
Usually a defensive player is particularly good in one category. But the best sack artists will have 15 sacks, while the best interception guys get 7-8 picks. Yet an interception and a sack are worth the same. Similarly, a guy that gets lots of solo tackles will have 100 or so, giving him 50 points for tackles, compared to the 24 the interception guy might get. So you see, tackles and sacks are weighted slightly higher than any other category (and fumbles are often a matter of luck, so I ignore those). So, here's what I'd do: go to the "available players" link on the league page, and first sort them by tackles, then by sacks. If a guy gets good numbers in both categories (like Michael Strahan), he is a defensive stud. So rank the guys with the most tackles and most sacks at the top.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But I keep getting an error:
We are experiencing some minor server problems. Please try your request again shortly.
I hate it when stuff like that happens...:(

A

Apollo

You can try going to www.yahoo.com and searching for fantasy football. It'll give you a link to their own game (which is what we're using), and then you can take that through to the page my link takes you to. Perhaps the long way will work for you where the link didn't.

T

train

Apollo,

When I got to pre-set rankings - and I have completed them, I got a little confused...

There are 3 spots on our weekly roster for "D" positions, but there are not any "D" positions listed for rankings... What is this position?

T

train

Apollo,

I noticed there weren't any rookies available for us to pre-rank, will we be able to select them once the season begins?

A

Apollo

"D" is any defensive position. You can either have a DB or a DL fill this role.

As for rookies, they are all there, they just aren't ranked by the computer. To get a rookie, choose to sort it by name, then find him alphabetically in the list. If a rookie isn't there (all the ones I looked for were), he hasn't signed a deal with the NFLPA yet.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apollo: Thanks. The reason I'm just slightly "concerned" :) about this ranking stuff is that I can't make it to the draft (that it's on a weekend night is the least of it) so I have to trust in my dopey brain and the computer :) I hope it goes okay.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Should you be checking to see if your players are in the starting lineup of their respective teams to make sure that they have a chance to earn points for you?

R

rkoelsch

Only if you want to win otherwise you could go for style points and try to outscore the others with the most non playing players;)

A

Apollo

Spidey--most of your guys you know will start every week. Just make sure they aren't injured or something (usually a little icon will appear next to their name telling you if they're injured).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, again, it has to do more with my unknown-to-me defensive linemen. My offense I'm pretty familiar with...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If your team reaches the semi-finals, how does it earn points if none of your players' teams are in the actual NFL semi-finals?

R

rkoelsch

FFL is actually a shorter season than actual football. The Superbowl is set to play the last week of the regular season and depending on how the league is set up the playoffs start 2 weeks before that. There can be a problem if the team is heading into the playoffs and the last game has nothing on the line. Some quality players could be riding the bench.