Are you ready for some football?

A

Apollo

It's almost football season, and you know what that means: FANTASY FOOTBALL!!! Come join the CPA Fantasy Football league at yahoo. The league id# is 193285, and the password is browns. The draft is the evening of saturday the 24th, but it's all right if you can't make it; the computer will draft for you (though you'll do better if you do it yourself).

J

Jigglypuff

Alright! I'm definitely in, although I don't know if I'll do better drafting for myself.

(- Steve -)

S

Svenmonkey

I'm gettin' me arse kicked so bad at fantasy baseball that I don't think I'll join. Yarr! Pirate!

T

train

I'm a big FFL player, so hopefully the computer won't draft too poorly for me...

Saturday is our Family night... I spend it with the family.

B

Bob

Well I have absolutely 0 knowledge about football, even the fantasy type, but what the heck? I might join.

A

Apollo

Steve, Train, Bob, go get in the league! Hurry! Time is of the essence! The draft order is based on the order you join, so you might wanna get there quick.

And Svenmonkey, who cares if you're getting your arse kicked? That just means it's time for you to go out and give us a whuppin or two. :)

R

rkoelsch

ready to kick some well you know. I won't be on live but I will be ready.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm gonna try this time. But I can't be there for drafting and this is my first time doing this, so don't be surprised if I ask dumb questions :)

M

Mikeymike

I'm in, but unfortunately I won't be able to get both Bonds and Berkman again :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, can someone explain to me how this whole game works? How do your teams play? How does drafting work (like the NFL?)

A

Apollo

OK, here goes. In this game, each week you'll play against somebody else from the league. Each of you has a team of real-life NFL players (that you choose during the draft), and you get points based on how well the players on your team do in their real-life games that week. The scoring system is up on the page somewhere, but the basic idea is that a touchdown scored or thrown gives you 6 points, while 30 yards passing get you a point and 15 yards rushing or recieving get you a point. There are a lot of other little ways to score, and you can see 'em all in the "League Settings" section, but these will be your biggest sources of points.

So, a simple sample game. Spidey plays against Jigglypuff. Puff's team has Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, and Isaac Bruce. Spidey's team has Tim Couch, Jamel White, and Kevin Johnson (in the real game, you'll have many more players than this, including defense). In their actual games that week, Puff's players do the following:

Warner: 250 yards passing, 2 touchdowns
Faulk: 125 yards rushing, 1 recieving touchdown
Bruce: 85 yards recieving

This translates to 20.3 points for Warner (250/30 + 2*6), 14.3 points for Faulk (125/15 + 6*1), and 5.7 points for Bruce (85/15). Puff has a total of 40.3 points.

Spidey's players do the following:

Couch: 300 yards passing, 1 touchdown
White: 90 yards rushing, 1 touchdown
Johnson: 110 yards recieving, 1 touchdown

This translates to 16 points for Couch (300/30 + 6*1), 12 points for White (90/15 +6*1), and 13.3 points for Johnson (110/15 + 6*1). Spidey has a total of 41.3 points, which is more than Puff, so he wins that week. He is now 1-0, and Puff is 0-1.

Now, that scoring seems really complicated, and it's actually more complicated with all of the other categories, but the computer takes care of all of the scoring itself. Your goal as the owner is just to put in the players that you think will do the best that week.

Now, for the draft. The pool of possible players to draft is anybody that is currently on an NFL team (excluding a couple that didn't allow themselves to be used). Say it's a 3-person league, with Apollo, Spidey, and Puff. We signed up in that order, so we draft in that order.

Apollo picks Marshall Faulk
Spidey picks Robert Fick
Puff picks Trent Dilfer

Now, we go back through in reverse order.

Puff picks Kurt Warner
Spidey picks Jeff Garcia
Apollo picks Warren Sapp

Then it would be my turn again, then Spideys, and we continue drafting until our teams are filled. The players you have at the end of the draft are your team. At any time you can drop a player on your team and pick up a player that is not currently on anybody else's team. You'd want to do this if one of your players gets hurt, or isn't playing as well as you thought he would, or if some other guy is playing really well and you'd like to have him on your team. You can also trade any number of players with anybody else in the league if you both agree on it.

As for weekly stuff, you'll have your starting lineup and a bench. You have 19 starting players, but you'll draft 25. The ones that don't start are on your bench, and you can rotate them in instead of a starter if you think the bench guy will perform better than the starter that week, or if your starter isn't playing. Most weeks, this is all you have to do; just visit the league once and set your starting lineup, taking out injured players and players with bye weeks and putting in replacements.

OK, that's the huge, scary intro to fantasy football. Got questions? Go ahead and ask, that's what the commish is here for. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
And more questions:

I assume your offensive/defensive line gets points for sacks/tackles/blocks/interceptions, etc?

Drafting: So we're drafting 25 players but we have no idea what everyone else wants so it's good to rank a lot of players. How many generally is good? 100? 200?

Do injuries and recoveries mirror real-life? What if someone retires (like Terrell Owens is contemplating)?

T

train

You don't necessarily have to rank more than 25, you can if you like, you use this so the computer will choose your next-ranked player.

If all of your rankings are taken, the computer will draft the highest ranked player left in the draft. So if for some reason the 3rd ranked player overall is left and it's your turn to draft, if all your pre-ranked players are gone - you get the 3rd best overall FFL player.

The computer will do what is in your best interest.

As for the points - the entire scoring system can be found here

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
When you draft, how are the positions filled? There's only 1 QB spot; do I get just one QB and then move on to fill the other positions? Then when all are filled, I go back to my ranked list or the pre-ranked and take the first available?

Or does it work some other way? I'm asking because I have no idea who good D and DB players are and so I haven't ranked any yet.

T

train

The positions don't necessarily "fill"

If you want to draft 3 QBs - you can - but only 1 can be in your starting line-up each week. It is usually good to draft at least 1 more player per position than slots available per week.

For example if you can start 3 WRs each week and you draft 3 - then when 1 of them has the week off - you'll only have 2 to start, leaving an open slot. If you drafted 4 you could put the 4th in the open slot.

Also, if you're not sure about ranking D-players - there are different ways to go about it... Go here .

Look at the top-ranked D teams for last season and pick a few players from their team - These usually don't change from year to year.

Reminder - if you rank - the computer will go by your list first, then if all your rankings are already drafted - you'll get the highest ranked overall player left - this could be any position.