APOCALYPSE cards

M

Mikeymike

Order/Chaos is great. Creature removal is always good, but I've always felt the bedlam ability was underrated. Well, R/W is my favorite color combination so I'll be getting 4 of these ASAP.

Fire/Ice is very solid also. For 1R that's a good burn spell by itself. The Ice seems weak in comparison but its a cheap cantrip that could save your butt in the right situation.

Life/Death has serious potential. Turning your lands into 1/1's is a pretty good idea if your packing Death Pit Offerings or a Coat of Arms (surprise!). Death is stupid powerful, but it comes at a price. Should I grab my Blastoderm that faded away?

The other 2 smell like toe-cheese though.
-
Ceta, Necra and Rakavolvers all look tasty too.

I really hope these cards are for real, this set looks amazing.

C

Cateran Emperor

Ah, soon you shall not doubt us Mikey ;) Our track record of full spoilers before release is already the best and getting better:

Destiny
Masques
Nemesis
Prophecy
Invasion
Planeshift
7th

And still people doubt us...

M

Mikeymike

You guys nailed 7th on the head. I'm just trying to prevent myself from getting all hot and bothered (but its not working too well).

I'll be accepting all trades for Lightning Angels, Penumbra's and R/W pain lands. :)

Anyone notice that the first Red White & Blue card ever is Lightning Angel? Beautiful Irony, hmmm......

L

Lotus Mox

Emblazoned Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem
1/2
Kicker <X>
Spend only colored mana on X. No more than one mana of each color may be spent this way.
If you paid the kicker cost, Emblazoned Golem comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it.

very playable in limited, a tad too weak for constructed, though.

and the Whirlpool mechanic:

Whirlpool Drake
3U
Creature - Drake
2/2
Flying
When Whirlpool Drake comes into play, shuffle the cards from your hand into your library, then draw that many cards.
When Whirlpool Drake is put into a graveyard from play, shuffle the cards from your hand into your library, then draw that many cards.

Whirlpool Rider
1U
Creature - Merfolk
1/1
When Whirlpool Rider comes into play, shuffle the cards from your hand into your library, then draw that many cards.

Whirlpool Warrior
2U
Creature - Merfolk
2/2
When Whirlpool Warrior comes into play, shuffle the cards from your hand into you library, then draw that many cards.
<R>: Sacrifice Whirlpool Warrior: Each player shuffles the cards from his or her hand into his or her library, then draws that many cards.

interesting mechanic, the rider is simliar to Tolarian Winds with a 1/1 creature attached to it. the Drake could be useful in Skies to shuffle away the Islands :)

M

Mikeymike

That's another strong ability in this set and the whirpools are splashable. I would love to get some of those suckers in a sealed or booster draft to get the filler out of my hand.

Whirlpool/Teferi's Puzzlebox deck = The longest games ever.

N

Necrosavant

I could be wrong, but instead of shuffling your hand into your Library, doesn't it go into your graveyard?

Z

Zadok001

Heh. The Whirlpool things are funny with Phyrexian Tyranny. "How to Get Yourself Killed in Multiplayer, Part 1..."

D

Duel

Alright, that's it! A Whirlpool/tyranny deck. The name? "Potty Training"

N

NeuroDeus

Anybody talked about Mystic Snake... will I have to start playing green to put this great card in?

I

Istanbul

Could you really justify splashing into a non-allied color for a small creature and a counter?
If anything, I'd splash red for Suffocating Blast.

M

Mikeymike

Suffocating Blast has the inherent weakness that it HAS to deal 3 to a creature, which of course could be your own, like the flamtongue you mentioned earlier. Its still playable though, but too expensive for my tastes.

Mystic Snake is a creature, which means it's re-usable with bounce (as mentioned) and graveyard manipulation. AND it's got virtual haste. Plus being green its mana cost will be easier to achieve.

You probably won't need to splash him b/c I have a funny feeling 5c green is going to make a strong showing come Apocalypse.

I'll be a-making a Corpse Dance deck with him when Apocalypse comes out.

N

NeuroDeus

How about CounterDerm ? with Counterspells protecting anything from yourself and the Blastoderm protectiong himself and attacking... I'll try the deck...

S

Sammy Dead-O

CounterDerm could be fun. Maybe U/W/G, using Fleetfoot Panther to gate back the Snakes and the Derms.

I also think CounterElf is possible...very Fish-like, with Llanowar and/or Quirion Elves, Nomadic Elf, Elvish Champion, the Skyfolk, and maybe Mystic Snake. Throw in a couple Dream Thrushes to assist the forestwalk. A U/G painland will help a lot in this deck.

N

NeuroDeus

CounterElf and CounterDerm seem interesting...

Gaea's Skyfolk and Elvish Champion and with counterspells...yummy...

I was thing Artic Merfolk... instead of splashing white?

I

Istanbul

It might be the key component to getting the underrated Rushing River put into a deck.

T

theorgg

Does anyone think that the flagbearer ability is a coincidence?

check out this:

Attachments

Z

Zadok001

U/G has a good chance, now, between Opposition, Squirrels, and some of the new cards we've been presented with. Unfortunately, Power Sink is rotating out...

L

Lotus Mox

Fervent Charge
1WBR
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control attacks, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Guided Passage
URG
Sorcery
Reveal the cards in your library. An opponent chooses from among them a creature card, a land card, and a noncreature, nonland card. You put chosen cards into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Overgrown Estate
BGW
Enchantment
Sacrifice a land: You gain 3 life.

Lightning Angel
1RWU
Creature - Angel
3/4
Flying, haste
Attacking doesn't cause Lightning Angel to tap.

Fungal Shambler
4GUB
Creature - Beast
6/4
Trample
Whenever Fungal Shambler deals damage to an opponent, you draw a card and that opponent discards a card from his or her hand

and the complete Flagbearer texts are revealed:

Standard Bearer
1W
Creature - Flagbearer
1/1
If an opponent plays a spell or ability that could target a Flagbearer in play, that player chooses at least one Flagbearer as a target.

Coalition Honor Guard
3W
Creature - Flagbearer
3/4 (possibly a typo, 2/4 sounds more reasonable)
If an opponent plays a spell or ability that could target a Flagbearer in play, that player chooses at least one Flagbearer as a target.

Coalition Flag
W
Enchant Creature
Coalition Flag can enchant only a creature you control.
Enchanted creature's type is Flagbearer.

M

Mikeymike

Fungal Shambler is the new creature everyone is going to try to play in Multiplayer. But like the Doomsday Spectre, he MIGHT get to stay in play for one attack before he's blown off the board. That's one ugly fungus.