9th Edition voting by the users

E

Ephraim

Originally posted by orgg
That's one reason I am actually supprised that Shard Phoenix won. That's the first 'non-timmy' card that's won a vote this time.
To be fair, the choices haven't always been tremendously distinct. Dawn Elemental vs. Blinding Angel, for example. I think they're both about even between Timmy/Johny. They both have a lot of potential to be used for interesting interactions, but are also likely to just do a lot of head-bashing. For myself, I voted for Blinding Angel because I hate monochrome decks; you can splash another colour into a deck running Blinding Angel. You can't even pretend that Dawn Elemental is anything but a mono-white deck card.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I haven't been following this very closely, but haven't a lot of them been a card vs. another similar, but basically inferior card?

C

Chaos Turtle

Originally posted by Oversoul
I haven't been following this very closely, but haven't a lot of them been a card vs. another similar, but basically inferior card?
Most of them have been between a card that wouldn't matter and another card that would matter even less. Would that be the same thing?

The only two of note IMO are the Hammer/Phoenix vote and the Addle/Blackmail vote. Only one of those went the right way as far as I'm concernced. I think people just voted for the card with Braids' pic on it. :rolleyes:

N

Notepad

Braids is a psychopath, or dementia summoner, working for an evil crime syndicate known as the Cabal. She's very powerful, even one of the right-hand-persons for the Cabal leader, known as The First (or the Patriarch). Her card is pretty cool, forcing everyone (even her controller) to sacrifice cards. Evil black mages love using her card. She was a major part of the storyline, having served The First, captured Jeska so she could become Phage, eventually killing The First, and all-around acting like a raving lunatic. A lot of good quotes come from her, as well. Sadly, this awesome character was killed off rather matter-of-factly by Akroma, a total pile of crap, and an even crappier card.

As for what dementia mages are. Well, the nightmare cards in Torment protray the powers of dementia summoning. Supposedly, mages of the Cabal are able to go into "dementia space" and bring out nightmarish versions of anything they have ever killed. Thus, they kill something, use the nightmare version to kill something bigger, and keep going like that until they have a whole arsenal of nightmare creatures to use. Chainer, a legend and character from Torment, depicts a normal dementia summoner, though in the storyline he had the power of the Mirari and was actually better at dementia magic than normal mages.

T

train

I'm trading for crucibles...;)

I don't think the votes have been timmy or newbie votes - but WoTC doesn't seem to give us much that can affect the game to start with...

:rolleyes:

N

Notepad

I'd like to see Great Wall vs. Aven Trooper. It would matter more than a lot of the votes presented for 9E and the ons in 8E. Man, You Choose the Chaff is worthless! Worthless, I tell ya!

Can you see it? Aven Trooper, a flier for limited, pitted against Great Wall, who would benefit from the "I hate Antelopes" group of voters, who are a strong block of voters, I hear. Quite the 50/50 statistical deadlock, I'd say. Which is Bush? Which is Kerry?

Next:

Sorrow's Path (with a naked Japanese angel/dragon/vampire/alien/cat in the artwork) vs. Black Lotus.

Guess which one would win? Yeah, yet another nonbasic land.

T

train

go furnace...:D

I like the harvest idea... it makes for interesting plays already...:D

N

Notepad

I'm a big fan of almost every John Avon piece, but the Wisp sketch looks rather pale in comparison to the other sketch. Sadly to say, if I were voting, I'd have to vote against one of my favorite artists on this one.

As for the vote...I hope Furnace wins. Its hella good. Then again, at the local card shop, a lot of the players a like the moronic voters in the You Choose the Chaff. Their opinion?

"Violence is better because it doesn't help your opponent!"

Yes, one of them actually yelled this at me when I noted how much worse Violence is than Furnace. All the rest concurred with the yeller. I was shocked at their utter stupidity.

I am filled with nothing but confidence knowing people like that will decide the votes. :rolleyes:

E

Ephraim

Hey, I voted for Gratuitous Violence. Maybe a bit selfish of me, since I don't really play red. First, I like choosing something that wasn't in 8th Edition. Second, how can a card with a name like "Gratuitous Violence" be the wrong choice?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't know what Gratuitous Violence is. It must not be good enough for me to care about...

Go Furnace!

D

Doombringer

I vote for gatituous violence. If they have something you don't expect in their hand the furnace is just as deadly to you as it is to them. Then again, I never saw furnace in action, so what makes it better other than one manas difference?

Edit: just saw the burn shunning on violence, FURNACE TO THE END(as long as your ready with a full hand of blaze, shock, and fireball.)

O

orgg

Furnace of Rath won.

Glorious Anthem vs Shared Triumph, Fear, Naturalize, and Shock flavor text.

Well, one of my eight flavortexts for Fear was chosen. I thought I submitted a more subtle one, but I guess not.

Mine's the Poop Joke. Vote for it, please? :D

Additional editing by Spidey

T

train

I have to go with anthem... as it allows you to not have to play tribal for the best effect...

O

orgg

For the actual card vote, I abstained again.

I wanted a Crusade vs Anthem rematch. Instead, they give us... Anthem, a card that should not be included in a precon, versus a card that should not even exist in a basic set, and just isn't as good.

Totally mismatched power levels. It's just not a vote I'm going to bother with. All I hope is that the card that wins isn't in one of the Core Deck precons.