9th Edition voting by the users

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, am I going to have to split this off to the Issues forum? ;)

With WOTC's thinking and classification on sets, I don't think that's the proper focus for a "beginner" set.

And it's pretty much a moot point, as they said they're pretty much never going to reprint those cards. Why get worked up into a lather? :)

R

Reverend Love

Can't say I agree with reprinting the power cards of yonder. That'd be the equivalent of a priest with Tourette’s overseeing confessions...yea the ensuing chaos would be funny as hell. But would it really be in the best interest of Magic?

HOWEVER I'm a strong proponent of reprinting the dual lands. All these things do is encourage multiple color strategies. Which in my opinion is great for magic.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I could live with reprinting dual lands. After all, why should WotC dictate that you should be playing B/R instead of B/W?

So what if dual lands are better than basic lands? If they are limited to 4 per deck, and there are appropriate hoser cards available, where's the problem?

As for Power 9, etc., I don't understand why people would object to reprinting them. I am 2 moxes short of a set of power 9, and I would love for WotC to reprint them.

I love Type I, since you can build a deck to do just about anything, and the cards are just so much fun to play with. But, I feel guilty at Type I tournaments sitting across from a kid with a starter deck, who doesn't even know what most my cards do, or what a HUGE disadvantage he has.

Only 20,000 of each power 9 card was printed, and when you consider how many of those cards were destroyed, forgotten in show boxes, or otherwise lost, the available pool of cards is incredibly small.

Since I have no other vices and am otherwise pure of heart, I have the resources to get the cards I want, and I plan to complete my set at this year's DragonCon.

I would just like for other people to be able to have the same access these classic pieces of cardboard.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Mr_Pestilence
I could live with reprinting dual lands. After all, why should WotC dictate that you should be playing B/R instead of B/W?

So what if dual lands are better than basic lands? If they are limited to 4 per deck, and there are appropriate hoser cards available, where's the problem?

As for Power 9, etc., I don't understand why people would object to reprinting them. I am 2 moxes short of a set of power 9, and I would love for WotC to reprint them.

I love Type I, since you can build a deck to do just about anything, and the cards are just so much fun to play with. But, I feel guilty at Type I tournaments sitting across from a kid with a starter deck, who doesn't even know what most my cards do, or what a HUGE disadvantage he has.

Only 20,000 of each power 9 card was printed, and when you consider how many of those cards were destroyed, forgotten in show boxes, or otherwise lost, the available pool of cards is incredibly small.

Since I have no other vices and am otherwise pure of heart, I have the resources to get the cards I want, and I plan to complete my set at this year's DragonCon.

I would just like for other people to be able to have the same access these classic pieces of cardboard.
My thoughts exactly. Well, I don't have any power 9 cards. But I am probably going to try to get them in the future, and I have some other cards on the reserved list or power cards unlikely to see print. Really, I wouldn't mind them being reprinted...

I would much rather the game be based more around strategy and less around money...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's a money game no matter how you look at it, even in Standard.

So are you saying Type 1 is near impossible to play without the P9? There aren't any viable decks that don't use the P9?

I

Istanbul

Pesti, you GOTTA lay off the crack. Seriously. It's making you all crazy.

Reprinting dual lands, the power 9, Strip Mine, or other similarly powerful cards would be the death of Magic. And I'm not just crying wolf here; the power level of the game would suddenly spike so high that it just wouldn't be fun anymore.

I pray that your wish never comes true.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming he's thinking they'd only be legal for Type 1 and get around the current convention of having newly released cards/sets go into the appropriate formats (Standard and Extended, I guess)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I have always disliked Standard and have disliked Extended ever since they banned Dark Ritual (that was just too much). I do not care about the deaths of those formats...

Although this type of set would certainly not be a normal expansion or block even, since it would be all reprints and many of them of reserved cards. It would have to fall under a different category and would probably not be used for Standard or Extended. Sort of like Beatdown, Battle Royal, Anthologies, etc...

If I remember correctly, those types of sets weren't used for Standard or Extended. But yeah, these would be legal only in Type I or 1.5 (assuming they're not banned there).

Then again, if I had my way, I'd unban Chaos Orb and Falling Star as well...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Sorry, I can't agree. The best cards will always be the best cards, and will therefore be played in the best decks. If the best card was Camel, people would play that. If it's the power 9, then people will play that.

I don't see how reprinting these cards would ruin anything - Type I is more popular than ever, and prices for Type I power have roughly doubled in the past year alone.

Sure, it is possible to play Type I without power 9, dual lands, etc. I have several decks I play that are technically Type I, with nary a power card in sight. These decks are fun, and I enjoy playing them.

I also carry a Type I Academy deck, which I pull out when I run into players who want a "serious" game.

I'll play anybody, any format, any time, any where. I just want to have access to the same cards as my opponent. It's no fun taking a knife to a gun fight, and even gunning down knife-wielding peasants can get boring after a while.

On to this weeks selection:

Mana Leak vs. Memory Lapse

I thought about this for a while, and decided I didn't care, so I didn't vote.

If we're choosing counter magic, how about Mana Drain vs. Force of Will?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Now, if anyone here chooses Mana Leak over Memory Lapse, you are going to find a shoe mysteriously occupying your Rear Crevice.

*Ransac eyes all of the CPA. The CPA hen promptly beats him down with watermelons on strings.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Mr_Pestilence

Sure, it is possible to play Type I without power 9, dual lands, etc. I have several decks I play that are technically Type I, with nary a power card in sight. These decks are fun, and I enjoy playing them.

I also carry a Type I Academy deck, which I pull out when I run into players who want a "serious" game.

I guess what I meant was it possible to play competitively in Type 1 without the P9 cards. If it was, I'm thinking you wouldn't see that much of an outcry to reprint the P9 cards (in fact, you'd probably see a bigger outcry from those P9 owners who are spending all this money and getting beat by cheaper cards :) ).

M

Mr_Pestilence

The only "cheap" competitive deck in Type I is Sligh, or a burn deck siding in Pyroblasts and Red Elemental Blasts. These types of decks can generally kill in 4-5 turns, assuming no disruption.

Unfortunately, modern, fully-powered Type I decks are so fast (killing in 1 or 2 turns) that even this strategy is usually too slow.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mana Leak beat Mana Lapse out by ~ 65%/35%. How can people think that that card is better. I usually don't complain about stuff like this, because it's usually R&D that strips out better cards to level the game. But, when put in our hands, even WE can't get it right and pick the card that can literally be a time warp over a card that becomes useless in the late game . I'm glad I gave the game up.

Ransac, cpa trash man

T

train

because lapse gives the card back...

It actually becomes a 2-1 card disadvantage...

N

Notepad

Mana Leak is the better choice. Now, we have two demons fighting it out. I know Yawgmoth's Demon is going to lose, but I really wish I could see it in a set again. It was fun using it back in the day with The Hive.

I

Istanbul

I'm voting for Yawggie's Demon for two reasons.

1) Havoc Demon was recently in print, and
2) I do NOT want a 5/5 flyer that wipes the board clean if you happen to kill it to be placed into the basic set. Can we say 'Bomb Rare in Limited', boys and girls?

N

Notepad

They aren't going to just up and delete a hard counter from the base set. No way in hell. There is really a phantom running mate on the ticket. Those scoundrels are just hiding it from us.

Persuasion vs Confiscate makes sense. But why throw in Rewind? Oh, because they don't want us to know that if we choose to get rid of Rewind, they'll throw in whatever counterspell fancies them.

"Well, we had to fill a counter slot" they'll say after the fact, when we get something like Counterspell back in the main set. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Was Persuasion supposed to be a "fixed" version of Control Magic? Because they look the same, only Persuasion is 1 colorless more expensive...