APOCALYPSE cards

F

Firestorm

As soon as it is out the cards I need are Fire/Ice and Lightning Angel.

Drool...

D

Duel

I dunno, seems a little odd. BTW, Gerrard's ability is confirmed. He really sucks that badly.....

Z

Zadok001

Fervent Charge

Unimpressed. Attacking enchantments are not favorites of mine, and this one is no exception - It's just too limited for me.

Guided Passage

Impressive, this has been discussed previously, and I consider this confirmation.

Overgrown Estate

Is it Dark Heart of the Woods? Is it Zuran Orb? Is it just neat? Thought so. This is a blatently powerful effect, but with the cycling out of Armageddon, it's power is greatly weakened.

Fungal Shambler

A 6/4 for 7 mana isn't too hot. A 6/4 for 7 mana that nets TWO cards each time it deals damage to an opponent AND has Trample? Ok, now it's getting good. This guy's a monster, but an expensive monster. Worth the cost? Anyone's guess is as good as mine, but this thing will make an undeniable impact in multiplayer, at least.

and the complete Flagbearer texts are revealed:

Bleh. The Flagbearers have an interesting but useless ability.

M

Mikeymike

I don't know, those flagbearer's can be a real pain in the arse. Them with Mother of Runes will be nasty.

I'm curious to hear other people's opinions about the split cards.

Anyone know the exact release date of the new set?

I

Istanbul

Okay, my take on some of these cards.

Bloodfire Dwarf - Bleh. 1/1 for R. Yawn. Pay R and kill him: Tremor. Double yawn.

Phyrexian Gargantua - Hey now! Nice. A 4/4 monster for 6...sure, he eats 2 life when he comes in, but he gives you two cards in response! His little brother is a better deal, though.

Suffocating Blast - I LIKE this. Counterspell with creature smacking attached. What's control's biggest problem? Oh, that's *creatures*, isn't it?

Penumbra creatures - Not bad. A bit overcosted, but two creatures in one.

Gaea's Skyfolk - 2 mana for flying Bears? Me likey!

Jilt - Steaming pile of donkey flop, party of two...hey, what if we overcosted Unsummon, then put a more limited, overcosted Shock along with it as kicker?

Gerrard Capashen - ...what? 3WW for 3/4. Okay. 1 life per card in...opponent's hand? Um. Pay obscene amount of mana: tap a creature, but only if he attacks. Uh, no. This guy is the hero I've heard so much about?

Phyrexian Rager - THAT'S what I'm talking about. 2B for a 2/2 is okay, but letting you get another card along with him is pretty good!

Mystic Snake - Nabad. Counterspell that brings a 2/2 creature into play...amusing, but is it worth it? Depends on whether or not you can find some way to abuse it. Equilibrium?

Spectral Lynx - Not even close to River Boa. Still not altogether bad.

Suppress - Weak. No lasting effect.

Goblin Ringleader - Not bad, not bad. 2/2 with haste for 2R isn't bad, and the ability to go find more buddies is nice.

Savage Gorilla - A retread of the Phyrexian Debaser/Denouncer/etc. cards, but with three colors. The Phyrexians never got used without the Big Guy, and neither will this.

Lightning Angel - Amusing. But compare it to Serra Angel.

LA - Three colors. SA - One color. Advantage: SA.
LA - Haste. SA - No haste. Advantage: LA.
LA - 3 power. SA - 4 power. Advantage: SA.
LA - Four mana. SA - Five mana. Advantage: LA.

Real advantage: Serra Angel. 3-power haste doesn't match up to 4 power.

Last Stand - Quite weak. Something with five colors in its casting cost needs to be a VERY strong effect. None of these are.

Legacy Weapon - OUCH. Nasty. It's almost impossible to permanently destroy it, and domain decks will use this thing to optimal effect. Combo this with Pulse of Llanowar...

Quagmire Druid - ...but if you have green mana, what do you need HIM for?

Pernicious Deed - Nasty! Usable whenever you want, and it's an actual Disk effect! Me likey.

Dragon Arch - Mark my words: This Will See Play. Any card that lets you play any friggin' color mix you want for TWO mana per activation just begs to be abused.

Phyrexian Arena - Could very easily see play. A Howling Mine that works only for me for 3 mana and 1 life per turn? Quite nice.

Guided Passage - Mediocre. One creature, one land, and one 'other'. Can be nice, or can be useless.

Wild Research - WOW. Reuseable Gamble for enchantments OR instants! Just fill up your hand first, perhaps via FoF, and you should clean up. You notice it doesn't sacrifice...

Squee's Revenge - Potentially quite good, if you use it right. Worst-case scenario, choose 1, and you pay 1UR for nothing...or 1UR for 2 cards, not bad. If you manage to get 2 through, that's VERY good, four cards for three mana.

Disciples - Suck. I'm sorry, not a single one of those effects is worth activating.

Volvers - I'll say more when I know base power/toughness.

Order/Chaos - VERY strong. Remove an attacker altogether (do you see 'nonwhite' anywhere in there?) or prevent all blocking? Screws up an opponent's math big-time.

Fire/Ice - Mediocre. 2 damage ain't much 'round these parts, and tapping a permanent and paying 1U to draw is basically a slightly more utilitarian form of cycling. Eh.

Illusion/Reality - Okay, this is worse. Color-changing effect (only mediocre, even in this environment), or an overpriced Shatter? Blech!

Life/Death - Another very strong one. Pay B and 4 life to return Blasty to play? Sure! Aw, look, I discarded a Dragon Legend. B and 6 life later...alternatively, get a slew of attackers to push a kill through with the Life ability. I'm impressed!

Night/Day - Mediocre, again. Night works on one creature, and is a tiny effect...Day is okay, but you won't need it if you play right.

Sanctuaries - Generally pretty strong. Ana and Ceta are especially nice when pumped up.

Emblazoned Golem - Not worthy. Give it +1/+0, and we'll talk, but...2 for a 1/2, 3 for a 2/3, 4 for a 3/4, 5 for a 4/5, 6 for a 5/6...do any of these sound like they're optimal in their casting cost classes?

Whirlpools - Amusing, but what if you LIKE your hand? Notice the lack of 'may' in there.

Fervent Charge - Quite possibly worth the cost. Turns *anything* into a pretty nasty attacker; your Drudge Skeletons are suddenly 3/3s!

Overgrown Estate - Hmmmm. Combo this with Groundskeeper for 3 life a turn.

Fungal Shambler - Oof! Nasty. More costly than Doomsday Specter, but gives better card advantage, and isn't prone to three-point burn. Tramples, too, so you can't chump-block it unless you *mean* it.

Flagbearers - Color me impressed. Combo this with some effect that grants protection. You play an effect. It targets the flagbearer. I give the flagbearer protection in response. Fizzle fizzle...

V

victorfrost

another place that i have to check to find out new cards...... is there no end to the magic related boards online?

p.s. this place would rock with avatars....

C

Chaos Turtle

Please, no. Some of us are still using 56k modems, and the avatar-ridden message boards take forever to load. I like having a place to post that doesn't take so long to load.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What are these, exactly? I think this came up in the Suggestions forum and Ed already said No, but I'm still slightly unclear as to what they are.

L

Lotus Mox

Evasive Action
1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its caster pays <1> for each basic land type among lands you control.

Bloodfire Colossus
6RR
Creature - Giant
6/6
R, Sacrifice Bloodfire Colossus: Bloodfire Colossus deals 6 damage to each creature and each player.

Bloodfire Dwarf
R
Creature - Dwarf
1/1
R, Sacrifice Bloodfire Dwarf: Bloodfire Dwarf deals 1 damage to each creature without flying.

Bloodfire Infusion
2R
Enchant Creature
Bloodfire Infusion can enchant only a creature you control.
R, Sacrifice enchanted creature: Bloodfire Infusion deals damage equal to the enchanted creature's power to each creature.

Bloodfire Kavu
2RR
Creature - Kavu
2/2
R, Sacrifice Bloodfire Kavu: Bloodfire Kavu deals 2 damage to each creature.

Desolation Giant
2RR
Creature - Giant
3/3
Kicker WW
When Desolation Giant comes into play, destroy all other creatures you control. If you paid the kicker cost, destroy all other creatures instead.

Dwarven Patrol
2R
Creature - Dwarf
4/2
Dwarven Patrol doesn't untap during your untap step.
Whenever you play a nonred spell, untap Dwarven Patrol.

Z

Zadok001

Avatars (little pics under each user's name) are insanely distracting, but let's leave that conversation for a thread devoted to it.

Evasive Action is VERY cool. It's almost a Mana Leak like effect (God, that should be reprinted), and it's got some really nice synergy with the rest of the wierd-o Domain decks running around - After all, countermagic is in short supply for those decks, and this supplies it with flying colors. Or something.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Even better (or worse, depending on your perspective):

Mystic Snake/Equilibrium.

M

Mundungu

WHIRLPOOL ability + Land Tax

... Yeah baby Yeah ....

BTW, is there now a comprehensive list of the cards or do we have to shop around within the various posts ?

L

Lotus Mox

Goblin Legionnaire
WR
Creature - Goblin Soldier
2/2
<R>, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Goblin Legionnaire deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
<W>, Sacrifice Goblin Legionnaire: Prevent the next two damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.

Razorfin Hunter
UR
Creature - Merfolk Goblin :eek:
2/2
<T>: Razorfin Hunter deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Gaea's Skyfolk
GU
Creature - Elf Merfolk
2/2
Flying

Llanowar Dead
BG
Creature - Zombie Elf
2/2
<T>: Add <B> to your mana pool.

Putrid Warrior
WB
Creature - Soldier Zombie
2/2
Whenever Putrid Warrior deals damage, choose one - each player loses 1 life; or each player gains 1 life.

Bonus cards: :)

Illuminate
XR
Sorcery
Kicker <2R> and/or <3U>
Illuminate deals X damage to target creature. If you paid the <2R> kicker cost, Illuminate deals X damage to that creature's controller. If you paid the <3U> kicker cost, you draw X cards.

Urborg Elf
1G
Creature - Elf
1/1
<T>: Add <G>, <U>, or <B> to your mana pool.

You can view a complete list of these cards in the MTGNews.com Rumors Forum.

I

Istanbul

Goblin Legionnaire is moderately nifty. Especially for the red ability.
Razorfin Hunter is *kewl*. Fetchable with Seahunter in a Fish deck, a two-mana 2/2 Tim!
Gaea's Skyfolk is similarly nifty. Especially with Quirion/Urborg Elves, it grants green a bit of flying.
Llanowar Dead fails to impress. Tap for B? Whichever.
Putrid Warrior is okay, but I can't imagine ever choosing lifegain...choose life loss, turning it into a 3/2 for WB.
Illuminate can be NASTY. Either kicker effect could be a game-winner. If there was ever a good reason for red decks to splash blue...
Urborg Elf is on par with Quirion Elves. You don't get to choose your color (it'll never make red or white), but you get to tap for one of three colors, instead of one of two. A fair trade-off.

Z

Zadok001

Illuminate... Oooh... Pretty lights... Wow... Now THAT'S a multiplayer card! Wow! Slow, but just BRUTAL. The first kicker is inticing and certainly impressive with values of X >= 3, but the second Kicker just makes the card. I mean, I know intellectually it's not that good - X3RU is NOT a friendly casting cost to start with. But when you get THAT kind of bonus from it... The sheer power amazes. In multiplayer, that thing will be absolutely game breaking - And it's a GREAT reason to play XR in Mental Magic! :)

M

Mikeymike

Illuminate will fit nicely into the thousands of different R/U Mana Flare decks out there. At least I'll build a R/U Mana Flare deck specifically for this card. I am really liking this set a whole lot.

What do you think of Illuminate: uncommon or rare?

D

Duel

Rare, though I hope it'll follow in the tradition of great uncommons.

Think about it: early removal, midgame removal + damage, and lategame removal + SERIOUS card advantage.

E

Ephrils

The Whirlwind creatures remind me of Winds of Change not Tolarian winds. Winds of Change is far more annoying and it affects both players, and has the same effect of those new creatures. I'll be getting some of those.

Illuminate is just wow. Not broken because of the large amount of mana needed to get it off, and the kickers are good enough to be useful for R/U decks that concentrate on Burn or card drawing. With this card you could theoretically Fireball someone to death and draw the other out. I LIKE IT! :D

I like Dragon Arch, it makes all those messed up Legends casting cost creatures much simpler to cast.

Legacy Weapon is awesome. I play 5 colors a lot, and this'll cut down on the amount of graveyeard recursion spells I need for my Jester's Cap. Oh yeah, it'll be fun in Type 2 as well :D

I like Last Stand. It's funny, it'll mess up a player just trying to figure out what the hell it does. When they're confused, THEN do something tactical :p I suppose, with the saproling tokens it could work well with another like-themed card, Last Ditch Effort.

D

Duel

Well, no. illuminate says "you" draw the cards. It's still great, mind you, just not broken.