Whaddya look like?

A

Apollo

Hey! I had that hat! But mine mysteriously disappeared... I think we have a thief in our presence!

THAT MAN STOLE MY HAT!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

TheFunkyNose is Chinese, by the way.

Now, having said that, I am going to have to respond... darn...

I'm about 5'6" (or thereabouts), with brown hair, just ordinary brown. I was hoping for jet-black or reddish-brown, but noooo, I had to get stuck with brown of all colors... grumble grumble grumble...

I weigh about 140 pounds or so, but it seems to be fluctuating daily. I wear glasses that don't look one way or another. I have a large pimply nose, with way too much facial hair for someone who recently turned 14. I'm a pasty white boy. I don't look fat (except to really really thin people [TheFunkyNose included] who got the idea that I was fat two years ago, when I was fat), because I have somewhat wide shoulders.

So I don't quite fit into the stereotypical image of a Magic player - I'm a little too young for that, and my facial hair is still a little too clean. However, I do smell bad.

D

DÛke

...but that's natural for me to do:

Why do most people, EVEN Magic players, "stereotype" the Magic community.

I've heard the "fat" too many times. I've heard the "smelly" so many times...and those come from many people, even Magic players.

I've heard that Magic players are "nerdy". I've heard that they have "no lives"....these came from people who don't play Magic.

All are wrong. Just in my school, there were about 12-17 Magic players. That was the time I was a sophomore, 1998-1999. We had a player, which also happens to be my friend, from the football team. We had a cheerleader, soccer players, myself, and at one point in time, my girlfriend.

Sure we all quit the game, but still, we did play it, we did enjoy it, and non of us were nerdy at all. Not even close...and I'm sure we're NOT the only group of that sort...heck, there are Magic players who're really cool...they just happen to play Magic...or is that a curse?
I think it's insulting when people assume things. I'm tired of it by now. I'm not from the United States, and I hope you could imagine how much assumptions and judgements people based upon me when I first arrived to the U.S.; just because I was from a certain part of the world. That's unjust and childish.

See into the people themselves, not into what you've heard or even think you have knowledge of.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ok...on a lighter note, Ransac sounds exaclty like I pictured him to be.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you go into a room of people playing Magic, what are the characteristics of the people in there? Has anyone done a study on this?

How many photos are there of tournaments (since hardly anyone ever takes photos of "private" Magic duels)? What information can be gleaned from them?

What about personal experiences? Of all the Magic tourneys you've been to, what can be said about the people (aside from the obvious that "they're all different")?

Offhand, I know ONE person who has commented on the smell from a going to a tourney...

A

Almindhra

These are pictures from the Origins website...They have ones of CCG players:

http://www.wizards.com/origins/ORG2K/Virtual_007.asp

Heres the Pro Tour qualifiers there:

http://www.wizards.com/origins/ORG2K/Virtual_ProTour.asp

And in this pic, look for the kid with the yellow shirt, thats Luke:

http://www.wizards.com/origins/ORG2K/FRI_ProTour/MVC025F.JPG

I've made the remark before about the Magic scene being smelly...Sometimes you do sit next to someone that really smells, but most of the time you don't...Now after you've been to a tournament pretty much all day, where the doors are closed, you open those babies and you don't even need to step in, this smell just grabs you by the throat and starts choking you...

When I think of the typical magic player, I think late teens, early 20s, with a baseball cap, skinny...

I like being a gamer, and I like the people who game...They're somewhat different than your regulars...But they're normal people too...Only a few are downright wacky...

C

Chernobyl Hamster

Hmmm.
Height:0 feet, 3 inches(counting wings) 1 inch not counting wings.
Green fur, red eyes. Prone to explode.

D

DÛke

...wow, Almindhra, you must be very impressed by Apollo's looks. Luke should REALLY keep his eyes open after all! ;)

...when it comes to gamers, especially TCG gamers, I really have no idea what to think. In one hand, I know the people from real life that do play Magic, yet, on the other hand, I know MORE people that play Magic on the net (that would be the CPA and MTGnews). Each side completely contradicts the other.

Although what Almindhra percieves is probably the most thought of, it's not what I've seen.

I don't think it's right to "average" the gamers, and on a bigger issue, people who come from different
backgrounds. It's impossible to "see" what certain people look like or whatever based on "stereotyping", and is down right wrong. We don't know who exactly plays the game, we know that many like Magic though.

There's no "average". Not every gamer is fat…or smelly…or is average on physical appearance; not everyone comes from the same nation. We're all different, and we each have special skills and talents that are natural to us.

The best thing to do is not think about it at all. When you meet a person, keep all opinions you learn from that person ABOUT that person. Do not transfer any information given by that person to all others who come from the same background, have a certain occupation, or likes to do certain things.

C

Chernobyl Hamster

yes i agree. it is wrong to be stereotypical. also, there is no "average person". all people are "average" unless they have 5 foot tumors sticking out of there heads, or straws coming out of their eyes, or cds permenantly encrusted in their jaw, or...

A

Almindhra

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I know they're all different..I've been going to Magic tournaments for a couple of years now...I'm saying that most of the players look how I described vs. how everyone else (in the world) thinks how they look...

E

ErinPuff

Let's see, out of the people I've played with (not many), only a couple of them smell.. one smells really bad, but refuses to admit it.. :p

D

DÛke

...I couldn't describe Magic players.

Once, a German asked me what Americans looked like. When I answered with "?", he wanted me to stereotype Americans..."average" them...so I can easily describe them.

Pathetic, isn't it?

HE believed they were ALL cowboys...sitting on horse backs...etc...

Oh YES, he was civilized...

...he just didn't know WHAT to think...turns out he's been watchin' too many American cowboy movies.

Personally, if you ask me to describe a Magic player, I wouldn't be able to answer. They're individual people.

Z

Zhaneel

Puff, who smells? Weeg?

Me, I'm... average. 5'5", brown medium-length hair, hazel eyes. whoopee. I've only ever played 3 other people in magic, and i've known them for most of my life, so i'm used to them. *shrugs*