Magic: Commander #1

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we were using those rules. I guess I'll wait before taking my turn so we can sort this out.

Hey, glad to see you following the game! :) I thought you didn't frequent this forum.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Really? This deck was made a long time ago..... just change it to a Swamp and put it back in my hand........
I guess I should check the rest of the deck.
Nothing to see here, move along.......

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wait a minute.... the Mox is only restricted in Vintage not banned.

EDH is played with vintage legal cards, with two exceptions:
  • cards are legal as of their set's prerelease
  • Shahrazad is legal for play in EDH

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I built my deck based on that too. Now, I'm not using Mox Jet in particular (I happened not to use any Power 9 cards out of habit, even though this is a highlander format, and I can't recall ever playing a highlander format that used power-level bans). But if the rest of you had some banned list that Mooseman and I didn't know about, I might need to change my deck too...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
EDH is played with vintage legal cards, with two exceptions:
  • cards are legal as of their set's prerelease
  • Shahrazad is legal for play in EDH
Well, you sure can be very creative with how you look at the Commander banned list. It's just a recommended banned list, but if you go anywhere outside your own playgroup and don't stick to that list I think it's fair to expect to be punched in the face. I'm not in this game, but if I were I'd have assumed everybody would stick to that list.

Personally I don't understand why the moxen are on that list though, it's not as if they'd be format warping. Yeah, warping your wallet...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, reading it more closely, the list is more a "suggested list" of cards to help promote fun and fair play, not a strict "banned" list. Since we all didn't discuss whether to use the list before starting, why don't we just play with what we've got right now and agree on such a list for future games before starting :) We're all fair-minded people anyway, right? :D

So I'll go ahead and take my turn - but we can back up if the majority says we should adhere to the list anyways.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains

Done
turgy22: 39
Hand: 7
Library: 89
Command Zone:
Uril, the Mistwalker (5/5; ~ can't be the target of spells of abilities your opponents control.; ~ gets +2/+2 for each Aura attached to it)

Battlefield:
(UT) Temple Garden (GW Shockland) x2

Graveyard: Windswept Heath
Exile:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mooseman: 40
Hand: 5
Library: 90
Command Zone: Crosis, the Purger (6/6, Dragon Legend. Flying Whenever Crosis, the Purger deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 2B. If you do, choose a color. That player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards of that color from it.)
Battlefield:

(T) Watery Grave (L. T:B or U. As Watery Grave comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Watery Grave comes into play tapped instead. )
(T) Volcanic Island (L. T: U or R )

(T) Mox Jet (A. T:B)

(S) Fog of Gnats (1/1, INSECT. Flying. B: Regenerate Fog of Gnats. )
Graveyard:
Exile:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oversoul: 40
Command Zone: Zur the Enchanter (1/4; Flying; Whenever ~ attacks, I may search my library for an enchantment card with converted mana cost of 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield. If I do, shuffle my library)
Battlefield:

(U) Island
(T) Watery Grave (UB Shockland)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Spidey: 20
Hand: 6
Command Zone:

Rakhsa Golden Cub (3/4; Vigilance; As long as ~ is equipped, Cat creatures I control get +2/+2 and have double strike)

Battlefield:

(U,U) Plains x2

(U) Skullclamp (Equipped creature gets +1/-1.; When equipped creature is put into a graveyard, draw 2 cards.; Equip 1)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Ransac: 20
Library: 92
Command Zone:

Vorosh, the Hunter (6/6; Flying; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I may pay 2G. If I do, put 6 +1/+1 ctrs on ~)

Battlefield:
(T) Faerie Conclave (CIPT, T: B, 1U: : Faerie Conclave becomes a 2/1 blue Faerie creature with flying until end of turn. It's still a land.)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I have no problem with no refined banned list this time, though I'd prefer playing with the suggested banned list for future games.

Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Sunken ruins, Done.

turgy22: 39
Command Zone:
Uril, the Mistwalker (5/5; ~ can't be the target of spells of abilities your opponents control.; ~ gets +2/+2 for each Aura attached to it)

Battlefield:
(UT) Temple Garden (GW Shockland) x2

Graveyard: Windswept Heath
Exile:

Command Zone: Crosis, the Purger (6/6, Dragon Legend. Flying Whenever Crosis, the Purger deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 2B. If you do, choose a color. That player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards of that color from it.)
Battlefield:

(T) Watery Grave (L. T:B or U. As Watery Grave comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Watery Grave comes into play tapped instead. )

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone: Zur the Enchanter (1/4; Flying; Whenever ~ attacks, I may search my library for an enchantment card with converted mana cost of 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield. If I do, shuffle my library)
Battlefield:

(U) Island

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Rakhsa Golden Cub (3/4; Vigilance; As long as ~ is equipped, Cat creatures I control get +2/+2 and have double strike)

Battlefield:

(U,U) Plains x2

(U) Skullclamp (Equipped creature gets +1/-1.; When equipped creature is put into a graveyard, draw 2 cards.; Equip 1)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Vorosh, the Hunter (6/6; Flying; Whenever ~ deals combat dmg to a player, I may pay 2G. If I do, put 6 +1/+1 ctrs on ~)

Battlefield:
(U) Faerie Conclave (CIPT, T: U, 1U: : Faerie Conclave becomes a 2/1 blue Faerie creature with flying until end of turn. It's still a land.)
(U) Sunken Ruins (T: 1. (B/U), T: UU, UB, or BB)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
I made a mistake on my first turn and accidentally grabbed a card (Temple Garden) from my library that was already in my hand without even thinking that it didn't make any sense to have two in play. I'm going to switch it to a basic Forest. Sorry about that.

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Arid Mesa. Pay 1 life and sac it for a Plateau.
Verduran Enchantress.
Done.

turgy22: 38
Library: 87
Command Zone:

Battlefield:
(T) Temple Garden (GW Shockland)
(T) Plateau (T: Add R or W)
(T) Forest

(S) Verduran Enchantress (0/2; Human Druid; Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you may draw a card.)

Graveyard: Windswept Heath, Arid Mesa
Exile:

Battlefield:

Graveyard:
Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Island

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

(U,U) Plains x2

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:
(U) Faerie Conclave (CIPT, T: U, 1U: : Faerie Conclave becomes a 2/1 blue Faerie creature with flying until end of turn. It's still a land.)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So I missed that list, and I did look around for it.
We can just make the mox a swap and put the Volcanic Island back in my hand.... Since the mox would have been a swamp or land that makes black.
I'll have to check the rest of my deck against that list... Looks good
UUD
Volcanic Island
Done.

Command Zone:

Battlefield:
(T) Forest

(S) Verduran Enchantress (0/2; Human Druid; Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you may draw a card.)

Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Watery Grave (L. T:B or U. As Watery Grave comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Watery Grave comes into play tapped instead. )
(U) Volcanic Island (L. T: U or R )
(U) Swamp

(U) Fog of Gnats (1/1, INSECT. Flying. B: Regenerate Fog of Gnats. )

Graveyard:
Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Island

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

(U,U) Plains x2

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

Graveyard:
Exile:

turgy22

Nothing Special
Did you need to make changes, Oversoul? If not, you're up.

Edit: Yeah, actually, you're up either way.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Why would I make changes? Not to be blunt, but I do want to be clear about what we're playing here. The site that list is from doesn't refer to it as a banned list and frankly, it's sort of a nonsensical list anyway. I mean, not that I agree completely with the official DCI lists on every single thing either, but this is neither comprehensive (some cards that could be more degenerate than most of the ones on the list are absent) nor very sound (some of the things on this list are just bad cards that I wouldn't find threatening at all). I'm of the opinion that since...

1. This is clearly not a banned list. It doesn't even call itself a banned list.
2. It's a dumb list anyway. Actually, I should be nice and say that it looks like it's incomplete (like some people were developing a possible banned list and never got around to finishing it, but left the rough draft posted somewhere on the site anyway).
3. There was no agreement prior to this that we would be using this list. As far as I can tell, no mention of it was made until Mooseman played Mox Jet.
4. I am so lazy I don't want to sift through my decklist for cards on that list.

...we should just ignore that list for this game and discuss whether we are using any banned list (other than the Vintage banned list) for future games. If the consensus here is that no, we are totally using this as a banned list, then fine, I'll change my deck. Not like the removal of one card is going to ruin a highlander deck. Anyway, I should stop ranting and just take my turn...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Draw, Ponder and shuffle, Underground River, Legacy's Allure, sac Allure to gain control of Verduran Enchantress, done regardless of whether anyone responds to that or not..

Command Zone:

Battlefield:
(T) Forest

(S) Verduran Enchantress (0/2; Human Druid; Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you may draw a card.) *Stolen by Oversoul?*

Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Watery Grave (L. T:B or U. As Watery Grave comes into play, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Watery Grave comes into play tapped instead. )
(U) Swamp

Graveyard:
Exile:

Oversoul: 39
Library: 88
Battlefield:

(T) Island
(T) Underground River (UB Painland)

Graveyard: Ponder, Legacy's Allure
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

(U,U) Plains x2

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

Graveyard:
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: I think you missed the boat. We've already pretty much agreed to move on with the game since we hadn't agreed to such a list beforehand.

However, if you haven't played EDH/Commander a whole bunch and a website devoted to it comes up with a suggested "banned" list, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they probably know what they're doing and have good reasons for why they came up with the cards they did. If you do have specific questions about why such a card might be on a list, perhaps you should contact the admins of the site and/or pose the question on the forum and see what they say.

Anyway, my turn isn't going to matter whether anyone responds, so I'll go ahead and take it

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains
Spectral Searchlight

Done

Command Zone:

Battlefield:
(T) Forest

(S) Verduran Enchantress (0/2; Human Druid; Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you may draw a card.) *Stolen by Oversoul?*

Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Swamp

Graveyard:
Exile:

Battlefield:

(T) Island

Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3

(U) Spectral Searchlight (T: Choose a player. That player adds one mana of any color he chooses to his mana pool)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

Graveyard:
Exile:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I went to Armada Games this past winter break and had the pleasure of playing an EDH game with Sheldon Mennery, Level 5 judge and considered to be the creator of EDH. He is in charge of this banned list and the one responsible of collaborating with Wizards to create these new EDH pre-con decks. I had asked him why Emrakul was banned this past month, to which he replied "Emrakul, as with every other card on the list, was banned because it made the game not fun to play for everyone else involved." He then explained that this format is more about the experience of the format rather than trying to make the most busted deck.

Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Forest, Done.

Command Zone:

Battlefield:
(T) Forest

Exile:

Battlefield:

(U) Swamp

Graveyard:
Exile:

Battlefield:

(T) Island

Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3

(U) Spectral Searchlight (T: Choose a player. That player adds one mana of any color he chooses to his mana pool)

Graveyard:
Exile:

Command Zone:

Battlefield:
(U) Forest[/url]

Graveyard:
Exile: