Magic: Commander #1

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So, what's the plan regarding deckbuilding? Commander now has a sanctioned banned list through the DCI, but it's only for Magic Online, of course. I know that when we started this one, there was some confusion regarding whether any cards were banned, and Mooseman generously changed his Mox Jet to a Swamp to sidestep the issue while Oversoul ignored it and continued playing with his deck (that had Recurring Nightmare and Necropotence). I also see that the EDH site has changed their list from "suggested cards not to use" or whatever to "official banned list."

Note: they also have Braids, Rofellos, and Erayo as allowed cards, but disallowed commanders. So is this the list we're using? That would seem to be the simplest solution and I, for one, have no problem with it. I might make fun of the list a lot and say things like, "It sure is a good thing that I can't use Coalition Victory right now." Seriously, some of these cards are just terrible, but like I said, this would seem to be the simplest solution.

Also, I'm not sure if everyone is sick of this or if it's something you'd be interested in, but we could do the thing we did with the tribal games and make a house rule excluding commanders that have previously been played. If anything, that sort of rule would seem to make more sense here. With the tribal games, it made things sort of uneven, at least in my recollection. At a time when I wasn't paying attention to a lot of the (at the time) recent cards and didn't realize just how powerful some tribes had become, I ran out of ideas and built a deck based around skeletons, while Mooseman grabbed faeries, one of the most powerful tribes possible. Then later, I realized that no one had taken spirits yet, another very strong tribe, while Spiderman was clearly out of ideas and using a weaker tribe (orcs). Figuring out what the strongest tribes were that had not yet been played became a part of the game. I don't think it would be so extreme with commanders because there are so many viable potential choices.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
On closer inspection, the banned list for Commander in Magic Online, which actually is official, appears to simply be derived from the banned list on the EDH site. The DCI-sanctioned list is missing Black Lotus, the moxen, Time Walk, and Ancestral Recall, presumably because they were never released for Magic Online, although I have no idea if that's even true (I don't play Magic Online). The list on the EDH site is missing Lion's Eye Diamond, presumably because it hasn't been changed in a while and someone found a way to break Lion's Eye Diamond in a highlander format (maybe with the Bomberman engine or something like that, although it seems rather farfetched). and it turns out that, according to their changelog, LED used to be banned on the list on the EDH site, but was unbanned. For some reason, the DCI list still has it banned. Anyway, the two lists are pretty similar either way. I still don't know which one Ransac is saying he's in favor of (because one calls itself "official" but isn't really, and the other is official, but is only for Magic Online, but is ripped off from the not-technically-official list anyway).

Of the two lists, I guess I'm in favor of the one on the EDH site, which I quoted in my post #203.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We can use the EDH site list.

Oversoul said:
we could do the thing we did with the tribal games and make a house rule excluding commanders that have previously been played.
I did suggest we could unban tribes after x years to take advantage of newer cards that have come out, but I don't think anyone either responded period or responded in agreeing.

See as how we don't even have one full Commander game under our belt, this all could be premature, but again, we could exclude commanders for x years and have them allowed to take advantage of new cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I tried to post here on Saturday and got an error message. Today's the first day I've been able to actually post since then. And judging by the lack of posts in that time, I might not have been the only one with this problem. Anyway, the gist of my post was something about what Spiderman said, but I forget exactly what, and also that I'd build a deck.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The same thing happened to me. I was trying to post that I wanted to announce my general as The Mimeoplasm.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Been busy with school, but I did hastily throw together a decklist at some point, I think. Might need to trim it down, but whatever.