You make the card

N

Nightstalkers

HOLY RAT DROPPINGS! Finally they listen to us!

Mechanic E
Players play with their hands revealed.
During each player's turn, that player may play cards in other players' hands as though they were cards in his or her hand.
During each player's turn, other players can't play spells.

N

Notepad

Was that your submission, Nightstalkers?

I personally find that one way too crazy, which means they'll make the cost like 8 or 10 or something. A casual card, but way too psychotically costed.

The choices are all pretty bland, though the + counters one would be fun, if not for the fact it was so friggen limited in use.

I

Istanbul

Well, there's something I didn't expect. It's like the Presidential Elections...choices, choices everywhere, and not a one I LIKE.

Mechanic A
You may play land cards in your graveyard as though they were in your hand.
Yaaaaaaawn. Wow, a sideboard against land destruction. Woo-hoo. Let me get out the noisemakers now.

Mechanic B
If a card would come into play with one or more counters on it, it comes into play with one additional counter instead.
Or how about a card that won't interact with about 90% of the cards out there in any noticeable way whatsoever?

Mechanic C
If a spell or ability would return a permanent to its owner's hand, that permanent stays in play instead.
Ooooh. Don't you mean "spells can't be countered"? Instead of hosing counters, we hose bounce now. Zzzzz...

Mechanic D
At the beginning of your draw step, draw a card.
Spells you play cost 1 more to play.
Well, this one is borderline. But when you're drawing an extra card each turn, odds are you can afford to pay that 1 more. Expect to see this with a CC of 4 or so.

Mechanic E
During each player's turn, that player may play cards in other players' hands as though they were cards in his or her hand.
Okay. So...no countermagic, gotcha...and instants in either players' hands are now downgraded...oh, and there's no real surprise value anymore. Bleah.

Mechanic F
M: You may pay target creature's mana cost. If you do, you gain control of that creature. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn. Mana cost includes color.)
Two words: Ice Cave. Next.

Mechanic G
M, , Sacrifice CARDNAME: Each player secretly chooses a number. Then those numbers are revealed. For each number chosen by exactly one player, destroy all artifacts and creatures with that converted mana cost.
This one actually looks sort of interesting. Sort of like a Powder Keg crossed with a Void. And doesn't give the coveted Enchantment Removal to red or black. If I vote, this will probably be my choice.

Mechanic H
There is an additional upkeep step each turn, before the draw step.
....whatever. Next.

Mechanic I
Discard a card from your hand: Remove target spell you control from the stack and return it to its owner's hand. (The spell has no effect.)
Just seems boring somehow. Whoops, I pitch a card, your countermagic has no effect. La dee da. If I see another counter-hoser, I'm gonna puke.

Mechanic J
T: Choose a player. Add 1 to that player's mana pool.
During your end step, I add 1 to your pool. Again. Take 1 or dump it into a mana sink. Or I tap it for a colorless mana. Booooooring.

So...the only cards I'd even CONSIDER are D, the personal Howling Mine that makes your cards more expensive, or G, Menacing Ogre / Powder Keg cross.

Bah.

T

train

A lot of the mechanics looked okay... I think I voted for I or something... I don't even remember...

N

Nightstalkers

Just love getting some recognition for something we made up in .3 seconds!

M

Mikeymike

Mechanic A

I LOVE this card, but it could almost be a problem card because of all the different things you can do with it - and specific interactions with cards that allow you to pitch lands from your hand for an effect like Seismic Assault Compulsion. Beyond those cards (which it'd be awesome with), its sweet with
Wasteland/Strip Mine/Fetch Lands/sac lands of any sort
Mass Land destruction
Zuran Orb/that Apoc enchantment
The list goes on and on

Mechanic B
If a card would come into play with one or more counters on it, it comes into play with one additional counter instead.

Neat, but uncommon neat. Pretty cool ability, but there are plenty of cards that have a similar effect already. It'd be cool if fading came back though.

Mechanic C
If a spell or ability would return a permanent to its owner's hand, that permanent stays in play instead.

Dumb, and limited. Although it'd be nice to combo with effects you control that force you to bounce (Gating, Viashino's).

Mechanic D

This is actually a very nice alternative to Howling Mine, and you don't have to play black to run it. Cool card.

Mechanic E

Too complicated, and SeFro nailed it that it would end up costing an insane amount of mana because its also and City of Solitude on top of being a deck stealer. Cool, but I don't want the "Make your own card" to end up in the junk rare box.

Mechanic F
M: You may pay target creature's mana cost. If you do, you gain control of that creature. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn. Mana cost includes color.)

Can be very strong, WILL be very annoying because you'd just be trading creatures back and forth. Fun with Haste and Altar of Dimentia though.

Mechanic G
M, , Sacrifice CARDNAME: Each player secretly chooses a number. Then those numbers are revealed. For each number chosen by exactly one player, destroy all artifacts and creatures with that converted mana cost.

Wow, this card is bitchin. An very neat combination of Power Keg and Nev's Disk.

Mechanic H

Too limited, I'll pass. Probably designed for some crazy combo.

Mechanic I
Discard a card from your hand: Remove target spell you control from the stack and return it to its owner's hand. (The spell has no effect.)

This card is awesome, but probably too strong because it just (once again) nueters counter. I do like that my Capsize's and Rancor's can't fizzle anymore though, or that I can't have Urza's Rage Misdirected at me.

Mechanic J

Again, neat but uncommon neat. As a team playing MPer I like this ability a lot, but I don't want it to be rare.

I'd probably go
A
G
D

T

train

MM - for A...
The seismic assault/compulsion won't work... being able to play it as though it were in your hand, and discarding(being from your hand) are 2 different things...

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by train
MM - for A...
The seismic assault/compulsion won't work... being able to play it as though it were in your hand, and discarding(being from your hand) are 2 different things...
Thanks Train

Good, I'm glad it works that way. They still work really well, with Compulsion you can pitch any land from your hand during your main phase and simply re-play that land you just pitched. You can generate some very nice card advantage.

Basically anything that allows you to pitch or sac lands would work very well.

T

train

Now that you can do...

Also - cards like Hermit druid can be stronger than before...

B

BigBlue

Mechanic A
Hmm... Fastbond anyone? Armageddon is even more playable when I get back my own lands. How bout the recurring fetch-land? Strip Mine becomes a beast...

Mechanic B
Blastoderm for another round? Spike Deck anyone? Eh.

Mechanic C
Pretty stupid ability. I think someone hates Cavern Harpy....

Mechanic D
Seems balanced. Personal Howling Mine with a drawback. Not bad.

Mechanic E
Too many abilities. nuff said. You got your City of Solitude/Telepathy/bizarro.

Mechanic F
Doubtful little auction card. So, all Tokens are freebies?

Mechanic G
Interesting, offering both players the opportunity to rid themselves of other's stuff, but probably too random for WotC, this just reeks of unglued to me.

Mechanic H
And why pray tell would I want this? Armageddon Clock? Weak at best

Mechanic I
Not with madness. Too weird for my taste. I'll return the spell you were countering, and get an Arrogant Wurm to boot.

Mechanic J
So, it's a weak tim during EOT, or it is an expensive land.

O

orgg

I personally like the Upkeep hoser.

Anyone remember what the Upkeep was originally for? Penalties attached to cards to make them more balanced.

Pay (B)(B)(B)(B) for that Efreet, OINK!

Sac two creatures to the Pitlord!

Pay for Donate TWICE!

My OOZE gets bigger!

...And so on... I wanted that mechanic quite a bit... and everyone I've read critique it says that it's crap.

Well, at least I didn't make a big deal about it being chosen... but it is funny that two CPA members have choices up on MTG.com-- Congrats, Nightstalkers. I have the feeling your not-tournament-calibre-but-fun card will make it through. But its casting cost will be (10), no doubt.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is it known if the mechanic chosen is the "favored" mechanic of the set (like morph) or will just be on a couple of cards like double-strike?

L

Lotus Mox

Since it is called "You make the card", it will be just on one card.

But maybe some other submitted mechanic will be expanded upon. (like double strike)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So if it's just one card, then any mechanic can't be overly broken, right?

Well, scratch that... I guess one card could dominate... ;)

M

Mikeymike

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to be critical and I didn't mean to offend if I did. Its much easier to not hold your tongue when you don't think your subject is listening.

Out of fairness to Nightstalkers (I didn't realize that YOU made that card, right on dude) and orgg I'll extrapolate on my feelings on E and H.
PS - Congrats on getting chosen guys.

E
That 3rd line of text that WotC added was necessary but it simultaneously near ruined the mechanic. Without it, the card would be a mess to play...who gets priority, revenge casts, wasting resources, lots of arguing.

Limiting the mechanic to your turn neutralizes (for the most part) all of those nasty little side effects, but it has now turn it into a counter-hate card for ANY deck (keep in mind its' an artifact). The ability is a blue hoser about 90% of the time, it should not be colorless. It also doesn't make much sense because the original mechanic is such a blue mechanic.

So to make the card work, you've got to give it one ugly casting cost...

H
Orgg, after reading your response I see its purpose better and it does seem like a cooler effect - and I'm glad its initial birth wasn't due to some sick combo. However there are 2 specific things about this mechanic that would prevent me from choosing it:
1 - IMO There aren't enough detrimental upkeep effects that an opponent would play in a single game of Magic (even in MP) that warrant dedicating some spots of your deck to this card. Maybe making Blastoderm die 1 turn sooner, or maybe making Grining Demon eat 4 life just isn't worth it to me.
2 - I personally am not inspired to build a deck around this card as a weapon. There are definitely cards that can benefit from it: Umbilicus, Reya, Phy. Arena, Form of the Dragon...but it just doesn't yank out my vote. If it also gave you an extra untap step then that would be very cool - and would most likely be fairly balanced since you wouldn't be able to cast sorcery speed stuff twice.
From Orgg
I have the feeling your not-tournament-calibre-but-fun card will make it through.
I'm assuming that this was directed at my "I don't want the "Make your own card" to end up in the junk rare box", and if it was I stand by it. I want the card to be good enough to be usable in many different styles of decks - like Forgotten Ancient is. Mechanics like these are not versatile, hence they'd stand a very good chance of ending up right in that junk rare box.

If this card(s) were printed would I consider building a deck with it? Definitely. That doesn't mean I want it to be the ultimate Johnny card. 'Make your own card' should be coveted by ALL styles of player, so it could become a truly classic card.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by orgg
I have the feeling your not-tournament-calibre-but-fun card will make it through. But its casting cost will be (10), no doubt. [/B]

Ugh! No insult to Nightstalkers, but I hope that card loses. It'll be the next Aladin's Lamp.

O

orgg

Hmmm... I thought there would be more discussion on the entries, since two of them were submitted by CPA members.

N

Nightstalkers

Your just envious of our brilliance after three gallons of coffee, fifteen Yoohoo's, and ten cans of Mountain Dew: Code Red. :D ;)

But in the spirit of fairness, I was surprised to see it when I came across the article. It takes thems so darned long to post a response to the items that the search program came up with it and placed it on the end of the list as an "irrelevant result."