Yet MORE Planeshift, rare info!

• Thread starter Cateran Emperor
  • Start date
N

NeuroDeus

Cateran Emporer cannot you go ask pwrchild to join the CPA :). It would be a pleasure to open a Rumors Forum for her to tell about the new cards etc instead on mtgnews :). Also Emporer ask her about the Morphling being in 7th please.!

A

Apollo

Cat: the Idol example is definitely true. I freely admit that Terminate is a lot better that Terror. I was just contending that splashing red into a constructed deck for this wasn't a good choice (as someone else had suggested).

And I completely agree with Duel. Rares aren't supposed to be the best cards, just the most complicated. Do Noble Panther, Undermine, Leeches, etc. have wacky effects? Nope. Therefore, they should be uncommon. Yet all the good cards are becoming rare lately. This is not a good thing (tm Zadok).

H

Hetemti

My friend keeps mentioning Invasion rares and I keep replying, "that should've been an uncommon."

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, this isn't rare, but I didn't want to start a new thread for just one common card.

This is from Mag2 ( http://www.mag2.cjb.net/ ) again.

Gaea's Might (common)
G
Instant

Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of basic types among lands you control.
You have to play 3 different land types fopr this to be as good a Giant Growth, so don't expect to see this anywhere except in Sealed Deck tournaments, maybe draft if someone is hogging all the Explosive Growths, Aggressive Urges, and Waxes, which are all better than this card.
(Well, maybe it's as good as Aggressive Urge.)

C

Cateran Emperor

Seems that everyone misinterpreted the thread name, I meant rare info as in "hard to find info". I didn't mention the rarities (for the record, Specter is Rare, the other three uncommon I'm fairly sure)

Neuro - I already metioned it to her. No reply yet. What I DO have though, is some more cards!

Allied Strategies
4U
Sorcery
Draw a card for each basic land type among lands you control

Uncommon

Draco
Artifact Creature - Dragon
Flying
Draco's mana cost is reduced by 2 for each basic land types among lands you control.
During your upkeep, pay 10 or sacrifice Draco. Reduce this cost by 2 for each basic land type among lands you control.
9/9

Rare

For the record, Draco's mana cost is SIXTEEN mana, that wasn't a typo. This is now officially the most expensive casting cost ever. (More than the BFM, who was BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!) I know Draco's going to confuse some of you, so let me give you all scenarios:

1: You control no basic lands for some reason
Draco
Flying
During your upkeep pay 10 or sacrifice Draco.
9/9

2: You control a mountain (just for argument's sake, any land'll do)
Draco
Flying
During your upkeep, pay 8 or sacrifice Draco.
9/9

3: You control a mountain and a plains
Draco
Flying
During your upkeep, pay 6 or sacrifice Draco.
9/9

4: You control a mountain, a plains, and a forest
Draco
Flying
During your upkeep pay 4 or sacrifice Draco.
9/9

5: You control a mountain, a plains, a forest, and a swamp
Draco
Flying
During your upkeep, pay 2 or sacrifice Draco.
9/9

6: You control a mountain, a plains, a forest, a swamp, and an island
Draco
Flying
9/9

Got it everyone?

I

Istanbul

Hmmmm.

Allied Strategies only becomes halfway decent with three kinds of basic lands in play. Otherwise, Inspiration is cheaper, and an instant.

Draco, IMHO, becomes good when you control three kinds of basic lands. Before that, he kinda sucks, and with more, he's really good.

Did I mention that I think Pillage is going into most decks that can play it?

H

Hetemti

Both be crappy...though Draco is broken in one of my decks...

D

Duel

Draco goes into chump.dec
5 color deck based around cards that don't suck.

C

Chaos Turtle

Allied Strategies blows.

Draco sucks at 16, 14, and 12, is fair at 10, playable at 8, and a monster at 6.

If you get him in your sealed packs, play him, but don't put him in your constructed decks unless they are 5-color and only then if you can't put something better in there (like Shivan Wurm).

D

Duel

I dunno. I just hope they don't actually manage to make harrow the best reprint in invasion cycle....

N

NeuroDeus

I can see a 5 color deck with Tek and Draco at its main sort-of mechanic

Tek will be a 4/4 first strike, trample and flying monster...

Draco you will already know...

C

Cateran Emperor

...only one new card today, although it is one of the first names released (not to mention one with the most speculation ;) )

Death Bomb
3B
Instant
As an additional cost to play Death Bomb, sacrifice a creature.
Destroy target nonblack creature. That creature's controller loses 2 life.

A

arhar

Originally posted by Duel
You wanna bet, Arhar? I've seen nothing here that looks either broken or unbelieveable. Terminate is good, but not THAT good. Remember what you said about the invasion spoiler? Be careful how disgusted you are with the cards. None of these are amazing, you know.

In fact, the one card I have trouble believing is Gaea's herald. How would you like to cast this on tyurn 2 when counter-rebel taps out for a lietuenant? All of a sudden, your creatues get through!

You are probably right, it's not fake. In that case, I'm stopping to buy packs on Invasion now and putting all my money in the back until Planeshift comes out :D

Z

Zadok001

Well, Death Bomb is certainly an interesting card.

It's not very good, IMHO, but it's certainly quite strong. It'll be a bomb in Limited, allowing for a small amount of damage and a dead creature in trade for a dying creature. The effect is not as strong as Attrition, but still quite powerful, and probably a 1st to 5th pick in limited, power and colors depending. Also an excellent splash card. I can't see myself using it in constructed, though.

Terminate is just... Wow.

It'll fit wonderfully into my Machine Head deck, replacing some random removal. It's cheap, fast, and powerful. Very few creatures can dodge it outside of protection and untargetability, and it's only 2 mana. I'll definately use that thing.

[Addition, new green card:

Gaea's Might - (C)
Instant
Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of basic types among lands you control.

Not too bad... Not Giant Growth, though.]

I

Istanbul

Well, between Gaea's Might and Draco and other cards like it, WotC is sending a very clear message:

PLAY A FIVE-COLOR DECK.

I'm thinking of doing just that. On, Silverglade Pathfinder! On, Harrow! On, Elfhame Sanctuary!

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually I'd take Death Bomb a little later in draft... about 4rd-6th.

It's generally inferior to Dark Banishing, and I'd rather have Agonizing Demise in almost any case.

In the coming constructed seaons, thuogh, this seems to be a treat for black players who don't want to be stopped cold - as they once were - by Worship (which is rumored to be making its return in 7th edition).

D

Duel

The problem with death bomb is the hideous hideous card disadvantage! In a draft, you only trade creatures, not kill them. And in any other format, it's 2 cards for 1.

I

Istanbul

Actually, I could see this as a stall card vs. Fires. "I'll block your Derm, then throw my 1/1 blocker at your Chimeric Idol, killing it."