Yet MORE Planeshift, rare info!

• Thread starter Cateran Emperor
  • Start date
C

Cateran Emperor

After much persuasion, my good pal pwrchild from MTGNews has disclosed the following to me from Planeshift (she also opted to post this in their rumors forum if you don't believe me ;) ) I've got the following for ya here:

Doomsday Specter
2UB
Creature - Specter
Flying
When Doomsday Specter comes into play return a Blue or Black creature you control to its owner's hand.
When Doomsday Specter deals combat damage to a player look at that player's hand and choose a card. That player discards that card.
2/3

Gaea's Herald
1G
Creature - Elf
Creatures cannot be countered.
1/1

Terminate
BR
Instant
Destroy target creature, it can't be regenerated.

Cavern Harpy
UB
Creature - Harpy
Flying
When Cavern Harpy comes into play return a blue or black creature you control to its owner's hand.
pay 1 life: return ~this~ to its owner's hand
2/1

More to come as I pry more away (so far she has still refused me the complete spoiler for 7th, Planeshift, and Apocalypse even, but she's now considering it.

I'll get back to everyone on this. Until then, have a bite of PS with these. :cool:

D

DÛke

...a second, you mean to tell me that Pwrchild is still alive? Wow! It's been long...(Take that Almindhra, you're not the only female who "dislike" me :)).

Anyway, I was hoping a bit more for the Specter. The Red/Black one seems better, since it's almost drawback-less. Though, FOR sure, I will play the Doomsday Specter. I like it. It even survives Shock/Seal of Fire. It could ruin an opponent.

Gaea's Herald is ok for Green lovers. Now Green is more powerful than ever. I hate it.

Terminate seems good. It could destroy any creaure, unlike Terror or Snuff-Out. I like it. I don't play Red though. Too bad.

Cavern Harpy seems a bit really good. I think Dark Skies (is that what it is called?) will be even more powerful now. A couple of Cloudskates, Cloud Sprites, some Cavern Hapries, and we have nasty little fliers hangin' all over the place. Good, but I'll have to play it before completely judging.

Planeshift seems good right now...

P.S. Do you all notice the "...return ---- to owner's hand..." phrase in most of the cards? This IS related to Cursed Scroll's power, and I think that Cursed Scroll WILL be in 7th. Serra Angel is in 7th, what makes them not bring Scroll?

C

Cateran Emperor

Yep, pwrchild is alive and well. I'll tell her you said hi (unless you'd rather she didn't know you still lived ;) )

She has told me that scroll is not in 7th. Period. I believe Neuro has another post in this forum with the list pwrchild has provided the public so far (I should have a few more soon I hope)

A

Apollo

These are all rares? Some of them seem like nice cards... but some of them seem like they could easily be uncommon. I never bought Invasion packs because it seemed like half the time I was getting an uncommon in the rare slot.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Doomsday Specter is very nice. I play mostly red, so it's another creature that's gonna make me think about how many 2-damage burn spells are too many in a deck. Luckily, there will be Terminate to make a splash of black very worthwhile in red burn. I like the Harpy the least of the four, but they're all nice cards.

N

nodnarb24

Who is this pwrchild? All I know is that she posts at MTG News. What's here credibility?

P

Purple_jester

The Doomsday is evil. It survives Shock and Seal of Fire. It allows you to CHOOSE which card gets discarded!

ROUND 1: Island. Cloud Sprite.
ROUND 2: Swamp. Attack with Cloud Sprite. Dark Ritual. Doomsday Specter. Return Cloud Sprite.

What a nightmare! It's like the good old days of Hypnotic Specter.

Terminate has no drawbacks, other than requiring both red and black mana. THAT'S why the darn thing is rare, I suppose.

And the war against Counterspell continues.

Interesting. Now I have to get me a box.

D

DÛke

...the Doomsday will surely be one of the hot cards in the new T2. It's really good. The ability to CHOOSE and discard is enough by itself.

They're all rares? No way! The Harpy doesn't even look like a rare! A 2/1 for 2 mana with Flying, a drawback, and semi-immortality: why is that a rare?Oh well, it's still good.

Cateran Emp, please DO tell PwrChild I said "hi", I think she'll be surprised that I'm still alive <laughs>.

Nodnarb: PwrChild and I go all the way back to the old days, the VERY old days...mid 1997 if you must be picky. You could say she and I are like the "past" Almindhra and I. I think she and Doe could be great friends. :)
And ONE more thing, whatever PwrChild says MUST be true, trust me. Her words never lie.

I

Istanbul

Oh my GAHD.

Doomsday Specter is easily cast second-turn, and its discard power rivals Hypnotic Specter's...it's Class A discard attached to a creature! (I'll explain that to anyone who wants to know.)

Gaea's Herald is the card that green decks have been waiting for; it's another brutal strike against blue, but it's a Scragnoth in reverse...IT can be countered, but if it gets into play, forget it. Four go into my green deck, if they're not rares.

Terminate is friggin' AMAZING. Terror wishes it was this good. So what if it's dual-color? Red/Black just got a lot more menacing.

Duke is right on target with how to play the Cavern Harpy, though I dunno if it's REALLY good...it's solid for Dark Skies, though, and should definitely be included (two copies at least).

And I really hope that among these, only Doomsday Specter is rare. Herald, Terminate, and the Harpy are good, but not rare good.

D

Deadman

WOW!
I LOVE Doomsday Spectre.
Black/Blue is among my favourite deck colours, and I think this card alone may upgrade it to my favourite colour combo.
I can't believe they give you the power to actually choose what they discard. That's an incredible ability.
I wouldn't say it's EASY to cast on the second turn, but those moments will occur.
I think I'll bring up a random point about Gating now.
Ever considered what can be done with 2 gating creature (costing 3 or less) and Aluren?
If one in play dies, you can cast the other as an instant to save it!
After that, if the other one get's targetted you can just cast the first one again!
That's just the beginning, I'm sure theres lots that can be done with that, or things like that anyhow!
Ooh, I just had a thought, combine that with Pandemonium and you have a kill!

A

arhar

One word: FAKE!

C'mon, give me a friggin' break. A Terror that can bury a black creature, artifact creature, for only BR?

Sorry to be a party pooper, but this is as fake as Britney Spears's -=[censored]=-

D

Duel

You wanna bet, Arhar? I've seen nothing here that looks either broken or unbelieveable. Terminate is good, but not THAT good. Remember what you said about the invasion spoiler? Be careful how disgusted you are with the cards. None of these are amazing, you know.

In fact, the one card I have trouble believing is Gaea's herald. How would you like to cast this on tyurn 2 when counter-rebel taps out for a lietuenant? All of a sudden, your creatues get through!

S

superguy

I think that the mag is right, they were right the last time and I don't think that they'd lie, because that would put them in a really bad position. Anyway, the 1/1 elf seems like a cool sideboard or maybe evn maindeck card, and the magpie can used in blue/black weenie. If Terminate is a real card, I luv it, and I hope its not a rare. The Specter seems very well balanced in that it has a pretty big drawback but also gives you great benefits.

A

Apollo

Regarding Terminate: well, it does look good. But as Zadok once said, right now you can sorta build your decks assuming that black doesn't exist.According to this thinking, Terror isn't much worse than this. Unless Planeshift makes serious changes (and I'm sure it will, but not necessarily in favor of black) to the environment, I wouldn't splash red just to play this rather than Terror (as someone suggested).

Just a thought.

C

Cateran Emperor

Actually Apollo, the one thing this does that Terror doesn't hit is Chimeric Idol, and trust me when I say that is a HUGE advantage.

I didn't ask for the rarities, but no, they aren't all rares (Specter is though).

Duke old pal, I'll tell her you're alive and well ;)

Unfortunately, pwrchild is moving to a new location and as such I cannot continue to speak with her via e-mail. You can possibly see more by her if you go to the MTGNews rumors forum, but I'll not be able to fill you in with nearly so much stuff any more. Sorry.

D

DÛke

...Emp. :)

As for Terminate being "too powerful"...well, since when is a creature removal card is "too powerful"? First off, Terminate IS good...like Cateran Emperor suggested, being able to destroy a Chimeric Idol is a REALLY big advantage, since the Idol is starting to show its ugly face in many decks...though, being "good" and "broken" is nothing alike. Terminate is good, and that's at that. Yes, it will see play, and yes, it is powerful, but no, it's not broken. You see, even though it may not matter ALL that much, Terminate counts as both, Black and Red, meaning that creatures with either protection from Black and/OR Red will not be effected. I know it may sound like a "useless" way to judge Terminate's power (especially in current T2), but yet again...think about it...

Here's what I think of the of the each card's rarity:
Doomsday Specter (Rare, for sure)
Gaea's Herald (Uncommon)
Terminate (Uncommon, it better not be Rare)
Cavern Harpy (Best as Uncommon, otherwise, WTF?)

There.

C

Chaos Turtle

Doomsday Specter (rare)
2UB
Creature - Specter
2/3

Flying

When Doomsday Specter comes into play, return a blue or black creature you control to its owner's hand.

When Doomsday Specter deals combat damage to a player, look at that player's hand and choose a card. That player discards that card.
Wowzers.
Okay, the only trouble here is making sure you keep a little critter in play long enough to get through the gating thing, which might be harder than it seems, especially if the black/red kill is any good in this set. It's worth the risk, though, if the "chosen" part of the ability is correct.
We may even see strong BU decks trying the discard/Avatar thing again soon.

Gaea's Herald (uncommon?)
1G
Creature - Elf
1/1

Creature spells can't be countered.
Looks good on the face of it, and it is an elf, meaning it works with Elvish Champion and Priest of Titania. In fact, this might make a good addition to extended, if only they'd weaken the combo decks a little more...

Terminate (uncommon?)
BR
Instant

Destroy target creature, it can't be regenerated.
Now this really is good.
It screams, "Draft me!"
If you were trying to get me to play red/black, you just gave me a good reason. We really could have used this one in Urza's Block, too.

Cavern Harpy (uncommon)
UB
Creature - Harpy
2/1

Flying

When Cavern Harpy comes into play, return a blue or black creature you control to its owner's hand.

Pay 1 life: Return Cavern Harpy to its owner's hand.
Not bad, pretty good in limited.
It's a cheap flyer that can bounce, and I'd be willing to pay 1 life to do that (it's certainly better than trying to hold back 2U).

D

Duel

I think those are all rare.

WOTC has fallen into the dangerous habit of making the good cards rare. That bugs me. I liked it better when rares were combo pieces or fuel, and the uncommons ruled......

Rares that were actually broken uncommons/commons:
Rancor
Windfall
Overrun
Voltaic key
Blastoderm

Rares that should have been broken uncommons:
Absorb
Undermine
Grim monolith
Noble Panther
All The Leeches

C

Chaos Turtle

I'm certain that the Harpy is not rare, as that would make 2 rare blue/black gating creatures; and I'm pretty sure there will be only 1 for each allied color combo per rarity.