yet another RPG...if anyone's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rando

You know the drill...

McCully's Tavern sat in the center of town in Lowburg, a humble city of moderate size.

Lowburg sat in the center of Anthheer, an ancient land once glorious but now a collection of self-contained city states and crumbling ruins.

To the North of Antheer is Tor, a rocky wasteland of inhospitible wilderness filled with wild tribes of nomads.

To the East of Antheer sits the Breckfol mountians, home of the mighty Dwarven empire, recently victorious in war with the goblinoid armies, slaying every man, woman and child with goblin blood and becoming supreme rulers of the mountain strongholds.

To the South is the Tanglewood, home of one of the last Elvish kingdoms in the world. Thier numbers in decline the Elves of the Tanglewood have become xenophobic and reclusive.

And to the West is the kingdom of Talia on the sea, a great and powerful nation who's new, young king has set the ball in motion for spreading his empire to the east.

And so it is on a cold and windy night at McCully's in Lowton. There are several farmers, some townsfolk and a few travelers just passing through there. But, there is a heaviness in the air and everyone seems a bit on edge. No one sings or dances or even talks very loudly.

Thus are the conditions at the taven when you find yourself there...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
A dwarf in travel-stained gear comes stomping through the door. The other patrons could see flashes of armor through the folds as he moves towards the bar.

"Barkeep! Gimme some ale! Westford's Best, if you have it!"

R

Rando

To Dorgath...

"coming right up sir!" says the barkeep. You notice that you are the only non-human in the place, and as such you are attracting several funny looks. No one seems to mean any harm, though.

The bartender hands you your drink. "So short yet stocky traveler, what brings you so far from your mountain home? Are you out to spend the spoils from the great goblin war, now that that epic struggle is finaly won?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Naw. We've been hearing rumors that a goblin outpost is out this way and I've been sent to check it out. You heard anything like that?"

R

rkoelsch

A tall, broad man covered in fur skins and carrying a large club comes in. " I am hungry enough to eat a horse. Oh wait, I had to do that 2 days ago. Damn tradesman promised the horse was in good condition. It was way too tough though."

Morgoth looks around for an unoccupied table. As he makes his way to it he looks for a serving wench.

B

BigBlue

A cloaked figure in blue with silver emblems embroidered on his cloak sits at a table at the back of the tavern. The emblems range from the obscure to the recognizable, and occasionally glimmer with an eerie briliance. By his side is a large staff with a glowing blue gem atop it. He wears a pointed hat which hangs low on his head. He has elvish features and a pale blue skin with white hair.

In front of him is a plate of the taverns specialty, and a glass of wine.

He appears to be listening intently to several conversations.

When he finishes his meal, he reaches into his cloak, puts down a few silvers, collects his staff and his wine glass and heads over towards the Dwarf.

"Dorgath, is that you? I've not seen you since that earlier unpleasantness by the sea. How have you been?"

To the Barkeep - "We'll have another round."

R

Rando

To Morgoth...
you find that the fat man behind the bar is the only employee in the place, and he''s having a tough time keeping up. Also, as crowded as it is in here, there are no empty tables.

To Dorgath and Vertioch...
The barkeep says "Another round it is. Well fancy this. Two particularly strange strangers in my pub who just happen to know each other. Odd indeed. And, no, my Dwarven friend. I've heared nothing about any goblins around here, at least not in many years. You may wih to ask to town sherrif, Ezeikiel. The jailhouse is right across the street. Of course it's closed for the night now, but you might want to stop in in the morning."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Vertioch! How have you been, my friend! Indeed, after that last "adventure", I returned home to find my nation in a full-scale war! We crushed those green pipsqueaks though... what have you been up to?

Thanks for your help, barkeep, I will do that."

R

rkoelsch

If that is the case I will head to the bar.

"Barkeep, I need first a pint, then food then a place to sleep it off."

Throw a few silver coins on the bar.

B

BigBlue

Seeing now that there is only one employee . . . I will revise my earlier action to include returning the plate to the bar closest to the kitchen entrance and placing my silvers there...

To the Barkeep - "Odd indeed, that two friends would happen to meet in your establishment. How fortunate for you for surely we will drink more together than either of us would have alone."

To Dorgath - "I've been roaming the world, still following my curiosity wherever it will lead. I'd heard of the latest goblin wars, but alas it was over 'ere I arrived."

To All - "Perhaps an exhibit of my latest adventures is in order, eh?" Vertioch stands, grabs his staff, and mutters under his breath, "Where to start, .... Hmm."

His gem at the head of his staff starts to grow more brightly, sparks can be seen dancing across the floor towards the staff, the hairs on the backs of peoples neck slowly starting to rise.

Suddenly the room seems to transform into a clearing in a wood, the tables more rustic in appearence, but still there. the walls have faded away, and the barkeep stands behind a large log upon which rest all the patrons drinks. A counter behind him carrying all the wares of his profession in their right place looks very out of place, but otherwise it seems midafternoon in a serene meadow.

"It was a lovely afternoon in June. I was seeking the cause of a town much like this ones problems. They had recently been beset by a small band of orcs who made midnight raids on the homesteads..."

The tale continues, some patrons coming and going through what seemed a break in the trees where the door should have been. Several times Vertioch pauses to drink from his glass, and with a nod to the barkeep has his and Dorgaths drinks refilled.

At the end of the tale, the orcs fell eachother from madness, and the town is gracious for his services. The scene slowly fades back to the tavern in which it began, having taken an hour to relate.

Any offers of coin are refused.

R

rkoelsch

"Long winded as usual, Wizard. Nice to see the Orc's didn't eat you. Always good to see a fellow warrior, Dorgath. I'd have noticed you earlier but my bellybutton was rubbing me backbone. Wouldn't stop til it was satisfied."

hopefully by the end of Vertioch tale I would have eaten some.

B

BigBlue

To Morgoth - "Brevity was never a strongsuit... Good to see you too Morgoth. Indeed it is a small world when Three friends meet in an unfamiliar town."

To the Barkeep - "What do I owe you for the Drinks, and include my friends meal as well. Might I also ask why the townsfolk seem down? And why the local law office is closed? I don't mean to incite a riot, but might there be some way I could help? Also, I appreciate the earlier wine reccomendation, this is indeed from a good grape."

**if you are going to accuse me of being longwinded, I shall continue... No use shattering your perceptions... :)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

* A Draegloth enters the bar, he wears a grey weather-beaten tunic, a black cloak, and has a broadsword strapped to his side. Most would easily mistake him for a normal drow, as he shares not the massive demonic deformities of other draegloths. The small, stubby, silver horns protruding from his brow and forearms are the only recognizable mark of his race.

*Ryld eyes the other travellers suspiciously and orders a drink

To the Barkeep - "glass of red wine"

*places some coin on the counter

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Morgoth! Another old friend! Great to see you too! Whatcha been up to these past months?

Great tale, Vertioch. You'll have to come back to the Breckfol Mountains one of these days and tell that one to my clan. They'd love it."

R

rkoelsch

"Well Dorgath, just trying to survive. Had a nice job as a bodyguard for a wizard. Should have known something was wrong as the only people that came around were young boys. Needless to say, I was absent from my post when the townspeople came to call. Been traveling since just trying to find something to do."

R

Rando

To everyone...

You all chat it up at the bar and get re-aquanted. The bartender anounces that none of you shall pay for drinks...it's all on the house in celebration of a reunion of friends.

This brings a cheer from the locals and seems to raise everone's spirits. The crowd rushes the bar to get thier free drinks. A young boy gets upon the bar and starts a song and dance routine. All is merry and bright.

To Morgoth ...
In the confusion of everyone rushing up to the bar for free booze, someone presses a slip of parchment into your palm. It's folded and seaed with wax. It bears no mark or writing. You did not see who did it.

R

rkoelsch

Hold up note so that Dorgath and Vertioch can see it unopened.

"What is this?"

Look for a seal impression in the wax.

R

Rando

To Morgoth -

The wax does indeed have a seal. It's a symbol that you know to mean "poison" in the "hidden tounge", a language of secret passwords and mystic symbols used by thieves, assassins and other disreputable folk. Good thing you've picked up some of it on your travels.

B

BigBlue

Assuming this knowledge is passed quietly and quickly...

"I will attempt to hold the peoples attention if you want to observe the crowd for any suspicious characters."

I will cast another grand illusion, this time one of a serene summer morning where it is gradually darkening until the sun is blocked out by a total eclipse. I do this in hopes that my compatriots might spot anyone out of place, trying to skulk away while the others are distracted, or simply out of place. I will lend my eyes to the search, but I must maintain a certain amount of concentration on the illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.