J

Jigglypuff

Sorry, EB.

Ace of Diamonds

Then I'll lead with 8 of Hearts.

(- Steve -)

E

EricBess

Why does everyone feel the need to apologize to me? That is actually what I was hoping you would play. :p

I gave up on making my bid as soon as I saw all the bids. I'm just trying to take as many as I can. I'm not too happy to see the 8 of Hearts, though.

J

Jigglypuff

Dang, I've ticked everyone off here. I'm going to go and hide now.

(- Steve -)

R

rkoelsch

Well I won't keep you in suspense any longer EB
Jester

It would have been nice to take this trick and lead that to BigBlue but that is not to be, only hope I can take the last trick.

B

BigBlue

You'd have lead me a Jester? In hopes of sticking me? You'll have to see my final 2 cards to appreciate how happy I am that you didn't do that.

Anyways 5 of Diamonds

Well, According to my POOR recordkeeping skills... RK was quick to remind me that I already played that garbage... In that case.

2 of Diamonds

And forgive my sarcasm.

Since the last trick is all that's left... I had 2 deuces. A jester wasn't going to stick me with anything. For whatever reason, I **missed** the last trick in my memory (which was why the misplay.

E

EricBess

Well, if there's another trump or the last Wizard out there, then my play doesn't matter. If not, which suit I keep could determine whether or not JP makes his bid. At this point, my best bet is a tie for last place :(

So, based on what has been played, if JP has a spade, it's the 8. On the other hand, if he has a Diamond, it could be the 7, 8, or 10. He didn't have the Queen, or he would have played it earlier.

Of course, at this point, it's a good bet that no one has the 10 of Hearts, so I could just lie and play that :p Since Spidey isn't around, he might not even catch it until it is too late to do anything about it. :D

Sigh....Guess I'll just play the 9 of Spades and hope JP doesn't have the 8.

BTW, rkoelsch, when you "pulled" the King of Spades from me, the 9 was just as high, so it didn't really matter that I played the King instead.

Also, since the final trick is all that is left to be played, my card is the King of Diamonds. JP's lead, though, so if he doesn't have a Diamond left, it doesn't matter.

J

Jigglypuff

Well, my last card is a Wizard. So I guess it doesn't matter.

EDIT: By the way, how did you do all of that? The guessing about what my last card was.

(- Steve -)

E

EricBess

Well, to be honest, I was afraid you might have the Wizard. The rest of your hand was pretty weak, but I was hoping that you had bid 3 in part because of how many trump you had.

Other than that, I just keep track of what was played...

You played the 7 of Spades when I led the 10 of Spades. I have the 9 of Spades in my hand and all of the higher Spades were played at some point. So, if you have another Spade, it must be the 8. Now that I look at it, you did play a Diamond on a Spade lead, so it shouldn't have even been a consideration. By the same token, odds are based on that that you don't have trump left.

On the other hand, you had last play on a Diamond trick where I played the Jack. I have the King and you played the Ace. So, you don't have the Queen or you would have played it. The only unplayed Diamonds were the 7, 8, and 10.

In both cases, I had to make the assumption that you were playing strong (trying to take tricks) due to the 4 trick overbid. It's a fairly safe assumption.

Add to all of this the fact that after 8 tricks, you had yet to play a card higher than a 9. With a 3 bid, you're bound to have some high cards left.

And lest anyone think that I'm obsessed, I don't analyze every play this deeply. I just track the information. It's easier on line than in real life, but even playing with real cards, I'll always count trump and will pay attention to specific cards and plays that I think will be important later.

I play Spades on-line with a friend of mine and a lot of people think we cheat because we have a good feel for what people have in their hands after the first few tricks. But it's not that hard once you understand what types of things are worth paying attention to.

B

BigBlue

Especially in Spades, there aren't as many cards. It is much easier to count and figure out what people's tendencies are.

E

EricBess

That's my point. You are, you just don't know it...

It's a much experience as anything. :D Besides, look where it's getting me this game.

B

BigBlue

As the Saying Goes... I'd rather be lucky than good.

I got lucky and got a TON of easy 20's. The key to this (and most bidding) games is not missing your bids. Now with Pinochle, missing bids is bad, but bad hands are worse, you NEED to score points.

With Wizards, getting 240 points (for NO tricks the entire game) would be close to a win as long as the other players are clamoring and missing bids.

R

rkoelsch

Now I am confused. EB you say you have a king of Diamonds well so do I. not that it matters with a wizard but It looks like it got messed up again.

J

Jigglypuff

Gee, everyone's got the King. When I took a trick with the Ace of Diamonds, I almost played the King because that's what I had written down. Luckily, I checked the PM with my cards and found that I had the Ace, not the King.

(- Steve -)

C

Chaos Turtle

I guess it's my turn to reveal my final card...

7 of Diamonds

Thanks all for helping me make my bid. :)