What about music guys

M

Mr.Gnome

Sorry spidey and anyone else that got any bit offended by my post. :( i kinda went crazy for a minute. I will try to cntrol myself.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I usually try to stick with music from animes......c'mon you can't get much better than the opening and closings of Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, The Slayers Next & Try. Other than that I Listen to Godsmack and White zombie.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Almindhra:
Have they struggled through nights on the road, eating out of garbage cans, just to get town to town to promote their music
Actually, I believe they have done this one... only they (N' Sync and BSB) did it in Europe, where apparently they're more accepting of music there (i.e. it's not as hard to "break" into the business). I think it took them both about 3 years before they were a "hit" in the USA.

M

maraud234

I was just wondering what kind of music do the members of the cpa listen to. I myself like Techno, R&B, Ska, and Reggae.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I like everthing.......except techno, polka, country, and any music brought out by boy bands and pop girls.

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

MrXarvox

The Xarvox likes techno-classical, techno, classical, and some new age stuff too, and the occasional random insane song (ex: gorrilaz).

Z

Zadok001

I have strange taste, ranging from Fuel to Andrew Lyodd Webber to Jewel to Savage Garden to Three Doors Down to Berlioz to soundtracks of all kinds, etc... :) Don't try to define my tastes.

Killer Joe

Jazz is about my favorite "Type" of music (Charlie Parker/John Coltrane/Dave Brubeck/Jean-Luc Ponty/Chuck Mangione), but I like Classic Rock (Led Zepplin/ZZ Top/Dire Straits/Boston/Rush), and 80's mindless POP music (Men at Work/DuranDuran/The Cars/), and I really enjoy "Euro-Trash" techno-Pop (I don't know any names of groups but I can recognize it asap!).

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Unfortunately I don't have many CDs. I don't usually buy them.

And my computer sucks so much that I can't download music from the internet very easily...

So typically I listen to video game music.

My favorite games for music:

Final Fantasy series (each one has at least 2 or 3 tracks that are among my favorites)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (great techno-classical type stuff... somehow electric guitars blaring alongside pipe organs doesn't seem weird...)
Sonic games (my love of video game music first started after hearing the themes from Green Hill Zone (#1) and Ice Cap Zone (#3, not #3&k))
MegaMan music (this rocks! it's just so great - especially the X series)
Donkey Kong Country (on SNES, especially #1, but some of the tracks in #2 and #3; the music in #1 is so atmospheric - you rarely get music like that in games today. I like some of the music in the other DKC games as well, but not as much as #1)
various other games I've played, most of them Japanese games; typically the classic games (Mario, Street Fighter, Zelda, etc.) and some more recent ones (Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, etc.)
(So when a game has very little music, I get pissed.)
I wish they would package soundtracks of games with them, like they do in Japan!

I also like anime music.
And if I hear some J-Pop, I suspect I'll like that, because most of the music I like sounds so distinctly japanese (not traditional japanese... you know what I mean) that I'm guessing it's sort of like that, but not as techno.

Mostly the only time I listen to music is when I'll walk around humming tunes that no one else will have heard of. Fortunately I'm equipped with a fabulous auditory memory, so I can go recall a random tune and sing it perfectly, and remember the exact context in which I heard it 2-3 years ago.

I do listen to other kinds of music; in general I prefer classic (specifically progressive) rock (late 60s, early-mid 70s mostly). Other than that, I'll probably listen to just about anything... I despise country, but I can sit through bluegrass and wait until the end of the song to puke. I typically don't like boy/girl bands; only occasionally can I stand some of their songs, and usually because those songs borrow from some other type of music which I like, and in that case I can just listen to that music anwyay.

EDIT: PROG PROG!

Yes (lots and lots of Yes, 70s and 80s)
King Crimson
Primus
Pink Floyd
Sigur Rós -- their new album ( ) is great!
Mahavishnu Orchestra esp. Birds of Fire
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Jethro Tull Pretty good
Gentle Giant
Beatles
Godspeed you black emperor

D

DÛke

...I do not like to limit myself to a single "style," though I must admit I do have a weak spot for the trance, dance, trip-hop, and techno.

The three groups that I dare not live without - Enigma, Delerium, and Faithless - all have the elements I listed above, and more. If I listen to a piece of music that is good, I do not define it by genere, rather, I like it anyway.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Trip hop and Grunge are my favorites, but I like pretty much anything and everything.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I must side with TICM I like anime and game music. I also listen to Godsmack and White Zombie and lots of soundtracks.

current songs stuck in head( Particle man by they might be giants, and legend of zelda by system of a down )

Z

Zhaneel

Mostly anything but rap, pop, and country. Alternative, rock, and classical are my favorites, the Barenaked Ladies and Alien Ant Farm being my two favorite bands.

H

Hetemti

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man, annotated by Me.

Sonic games (my love of video game music first started after hearing the themes from Green Hill Zone (#1) and Ice Cap Zone (#3, not #3&k))
:I love most of the Sonic series, too. As for Ice Cap, I like the one on the PC version. I don't know if that's on 3 or 3nK cuz I don't have a genesis.

MegaMan music (this rocks! it's just so great - especially the X series)
:I disagree...most of X is boring. Nothin' tops the original series...especially some of the Wily Zone tunes...of course, some of the Wily Zone songs absolutly sucked, too...

Donkey Kong Country
:I hate monkies.

-=-
Mostly the only time I listen to music is when I'll walk around humming tunes that no one else will have heard of. Fortunately I'm equipped with a fabulous auditory memory, so I can go recall a random tune and sing it perfectly, and remember the exact context in which I heard it 2-3 years ago.

:I'm the same way...though I can't sing worth two biscuits.

I do listen to other kinds of music; in general I prefer classic rock (late 60s, early-mid 70s mostly). Other than that, I'll probably listen to just about anything... I despise country, but I can sit through bluegrass and wait until the end of the song to puke. I typically don't like boy/girl bands; only occasionally can I stand some of their songs, and usually because those songs borrow from some other type of music which I like, and in that case I can just listen to that music anwyay.

:Same here. :)

E

EricBess

Sounds like most everyone has relatively eclectic tastes around here. I like a lot of types of music also. It might be more appropriate to ask what types of music people don't like. I don't like Rap and I don't like twangy country (other country is okay). I prefer Pop, old and new.

To quote one of my favorite artists, "It's still Rock and Roll to me!"

M

Mikeymike

I've become a music snob. I haven't listened to the crappy NYC radio stations (except for Saturday nights) in about 6 months.

I can listen to anything, as long as it has that certain depth/quality/emotion that makes it stand out from its particular genre or allows it to create something of its own.

I used to say that my favorite music was electronic music, but its evolved since then into distinct groups so I 'can't call it that' anymore. My favortie type of electronica is deep house, soulfull drum & bass, progressive, garage and super-lounge.

But I listen to hip-hop, classic rock, some new rock, 70's funk, 70's soul, 90's hard rock/metal and a lot of the new style contemporary R & B that's been proving itself as of late.

Music I don't like, a lot of the stuff on MTV (TRL in particular) and a lot of the other rock, rap & pop that has become popular. Mainstream music today has the least amount of depth as any period of musical history that I can remember (except for the early 80's, that was bad for everyone). Thankfully 2001 has brought to the forefront some truly promising talents that might actually stick around for awhile and hopefully rub off on the rest of the country.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Hey, I said I was a music snob.

Some of my Favs.
Jamiroquai
Pink Floyd
LTJ Buken (huh?)
Tool (although I'm not impressed with their newest album unfortunately)
Bill Withers
Santessa
Pretty much anything off of a "Hed Kandi" compilation CD
Thievery Corporation
The Global Underground Progressive DJ series (esp. Danny Tenaglia's newest offering)
Primal Scream
Gilles Peterson
De La Soul

Man, I wish we got UK radio stations here in the states. I do have to give props to MTV's little sister M2, which is an amazing station. I think MTV finally smartened up and allowed the people who pick their segway and commercial music decide the video programming for M2. A very impressive music station that plays stuff that you've never heard before and videos you've always hoped but never knew existed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is M2 actually MTV2? When I had digital cable it was included, but when I went back to regular cable it's not in the basic package... I'd rather have that than the original MTV now :(

H

HumanError

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Tool (although I'm not impressed with their newest album unfortunately)
You don't like "Lateralus?" It's actually an excellent disc but doesn't work as an album; instead it works more as an experience, if you follow. There really aren't any particular songs you can pull out of it, it all just kind of meshes together into a brilliant ensemble. Really good music, I think.

I was at the bowling alley last night. Friday and Saturday nights, late at night, they do this "Cosmic Bowling" thing where they play today's "hippest tunes" and "phat beats."

Maybe I'm a jerk, maybe I'm a freak, but can anybody really tell me what the difference is between any two given rap songs, or between any two given R&B songs.

These guys are prancing around with more gold hanging around their necks than Fort Knox, giving me flashbacks to "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!," talking about their gangsta lifestyles, and I swear if these guys had to deal with real "gangsta"s like the Italian Mafia, they'd be taking a dirt nap.

There's an overwhelming dearth of actually talented musicians out right now, and I hate that rap and R&B and "oohh baby baby" music is eclipsing more talented acts.

Fortunately, a deluge of good artists are coming out relatively soon.

Garbage's third album, "BeautifulGarbage" is out soon.
Sneaker Pimps' third album, "Bloodsport" is going to make it to the USA and r0x ur s0x.
VAST's working on their third album.
Kenna's first video is just making the rounds on MTV2, and his CD should come out soon.

Hopefully some talented musicians will make it to the fore in the near future. I'm rooting for Sneaker Pimps, myself.