What about music guys

H

HumanError

There are some excellent choices among everyone here, a lot of stuff I agree with, but everyone that mentioned Papa Roach I have but one question to ask: WHY?!

Do you know why boy bands and teeny girls are superior to that? Because they at least have someone that is actually capable of writing do the lyrics for their songs! "Don't give a **** if I cut my arm bleeding"? Come on now, people, there's better than that. With that rant out of the way, I shall commence with my "playlist."

Casual favorites...
A Perfect Circle
Depeche Mode
Filter (strictly "Title of Record"..."Short Bus" was just too...filtered.)
Fluke (unfortunately, most of his stuff is weak, but when he gets it, he's on the mark.)
Gravity Kills (I'm aware they can't write, but if you ignore the lyrics they have a mighty fine industrial beat)
KMFDM/MDFMK
Korn (anything but "Follow the Leader")
Massive Attack
New Order
Poe
Prodigy (Strictly "Fat of the Land"...although "Voodoo People" and "Break & Enter" are both awesome tracks)
Tool

Absolute loves...
Claire Voyant
God Lives Underwater (they're the ones that redid "Fame" for the "15 Minutes" soundtrack, and they RULE)
Sneaker Pimps (teehee, I own the Japanese import of their second CD, which never came out here)
Stone Temple Pilots

Dishonorable mention...
Metallica, who thought it was a really good idea to actively attack their fans. Were you aware they charge you to be a member of their fan club? What the hell?

H

HumanError

Crap, I forgot two more big favorites: VAST and Garbage.

Egad. Gimme a break, I'm tired.

D

DÛke

...good points, HumanError.

Look at MTV...

...whenever I have the chance to watch it, I notice that they intensively play boy/girl bands, and yes, it sucks...but I have one thing to say: MTV is doin' the right thing...if no one else is capable of writing somethin' that is actually "listenable", why not play somethin' that's at least tolerable to the society?

Let's take Eminem for example - I could write what he writes while I'm a sleep for God's sake! I'll just pour out all my hatered toward anyone I dislike and there, you can enjoy yourselves.

...and that's just one, prime example. Believe me, there are bands out there that make me think "I CAN be better!"

...and I can...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why did MTV ever get away from playing music videos? Now all they have is pretty much TRL and Top 20 or whatever... they need special MTV Rock Video channel and MTV Spanish Video channel and MTV2 channel which you need digital or pay more to get... what's up with that?

VH1 isn't that much better, but at least they have Pop-Up Video and Behind the Music which is more interesting (to me, anyway... :)) They also have additional music channels...

Killer Joe

Hey H.E., Isn't Depeche Mode and KMFDM an oxymoron? I mean KMFDM is soooo anti-Depeche Mode, that's why they even made their band's name in reference to DM. Non-KMFDM folks, can you guess what those letters mean?

MTV: (Insert/"Back in the Day" Speech) with this added: I never thought that MTV would last more than a year, I mean c'mon, someone would actually sit and watch video's instead of listening to the radio (Definition: a small electronic device that sends music through FM/AM airwaves, there might be one in your Dad's car) (also Insert music from the Buggles "Video Killed the Radio Star").
Well, I got hooked. JJ Jackson, Nina Totenburg (oops, she a National Public Radio reporter) I mean Nina Blackwood, and my Favorite MARTHA QUINN! (eh, Spiderman?). Every 5 or 6 video's you would see these folks and maybe a TWIX commercial or two, but that was it.
When Remote Control was aired on MTV, that's when things started to go down hill, yeah, it was funny and all (Adam Sandler made his TV Debut on that show and Colin Quinn was funny too.), but I wasn't watching much of it by that point.
Get this, Back in the early 80's, MTV wouldn't even air Michael Jackson Video's, I mean the 'King of Pop' was ignored because he was too black or something. Whatever. When he got nose surgery, I lost respect for him anyway, and what's up with that skin thing?
And just whatinthehell is a Vegamite Sandwich?

H

HumanError

Freakin' A, everyone thinks that KMFDM means "Kill Mother-****ing Depeche Mode." Am I the only one here who actually went to the website, looked at the FAQ, and figured it out?!

Auuugggh, you people make me so freaking mad.

This is what KMFDM stands for:

In "KMFDM German": Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid
In correct German: Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit

This means: no pity for the majority

I got my information from www.kmfdm.com, on their FAQ page. KMFDM and Depeche Mode is NOT an oxymoron.

GUUUUUHHHHH.

Killer Joe

take it easy pal.

I think we get the point that you're passionate about your music, whew.

Man, I hope nobody jumps on my case the next I mention how Heavy Metal sucks.

Orgg: j/k ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Spiderman jumps up and down on YJ's case just for the heck of it and because it's there...

Actually don't listen to much Heavy Metal...

A

arhar

Originally posted by HumanError
There are some excellent choices among everyone here, a lot of stuff I agree with, but everyone that mentioned Papa Roach I have but one question to ask: WHY?!

Do you know why boy bands and teeny girls are superior to that? Because they at least have someone that is actually capable of writing do the lyrics for their songs! "Don't give a **** if I cut my arm bleeding"? Come on now, people, there's better than that. With that rant out of the way, I shall commence with my "playlist."
LOL!!!

This is too funny.... Boy bands are superiour to Papa Roach lyrics-wise? Both are equally crappy... totally commercial products of MTV-generation, pre-fabricated and wrapped in a "bubble-gum pop" or "we-are-sooo-full-of-teenage-angst" cover.

Stood there leaning to the city moon,
casting silhouettes tall to grip her white rooms
the black-clad voyeur in his black-clad masque
in the serpentine sun of tragedy basked

Stood there cursing at the soul-dead mass
with their fabled illusions, the vain dreams that passed
splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl
a lone, silent warrior in a fantasy world

He cried for night / but night could not come
so, swept in the shroud of Misanthropia he went away
and fed the empty galleries
with the artifacts of the black rain
sunken into the shadows with a dry, sardonic smile

He made the footprints a part of his heart
to rouse a sacred confrontation

Stood there carving on the monument to lies
digging of the earth, making friends with the soil
as the all-mother rises and bares her bleeding thighs
he disappears into her cold, icy womb...

D

DÛke

...no crap man!

Though I must admit, I think that boy-bands and those the like Britney Spears are actually better than most of the stuff "Eminem" sings. Eminem's first song, for example, I was down with; it was funny. Than he began freakin' out...that's when he became like the dirt I would love to step in...

...some bands out there are really good..but likewise, some are unbelievingly pathetic.

...that's why I'm so engulfed in New Age music. It's better than mostly everything out there these days...

A

Almindhra

Actually I think those albums entitled "The Cello by a Waterfall" and "Xylophone at my doorstep" and "Bagpipes on a Winter's Snowfall" are all pretty bad...I was looking for some "natural" mp3s a few weeks ago for studying with, but they're all pretty bad...Sounds of a rainstick is more like it...And when you put musical instruments to the sound of roosters flapping their wings and flying, it just sounds bad...

D

DÛke

...if you're into those, I recommand you get Mike Oldfield's "Songs of Distant Earth".

If you don't like it, I could send you the money for it...and you could keep the CD...

...just try it...

Killer Joe

Mannheim Steamroller produced something like 6 albums of a series called "Fresh Aire" starting back in 1977. Now THOSE, I like.
Another thing, this type of music is really for ambiance, you know, back round music? I just can't imagine me dropping the 'ol needle on the wax and rockin' to high heaven with it, that'd be kinda weird (for me :)).
Boston (the group), now that's rockin' music!

M

Mr.Gnome

BOY BANDS AND POP MUSIC IN GENERAL SUCK!!!!

That out of the way, yeah sometimes the lyrics to rock songs suck but at least they are creative enough to write their own! Pop stars only hire someone to writhe the songs for them!

Anyone woho likes pop music is an Oinking freak.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Welp, call me an oinking freak then... I don't see what the big deal is about whether it's good or not is. I think heavy metal is a bunch of guitar screeching in general and moshing is pretty dumb, but whatever floats your boat...

A

Almindhra

For me anyways, the whole idea of the "Boy Band" and what it means musically is EVIL...Do they write their own songs?...Have they struggled through nights on the road, eating out of garbage cans, just to get town to town to promote their music?...Have they ever had calluses on their fingers from playing guitar?...(and if you even think of the argument that they get sprained pinky toes from dancing I'll smack you, what real band (especially boys) does choreography on stage, and makes that more important than actually singing the song?)...

I just hold so much respect for the real musicians out there who have struggled to create art...Unlike these boys who are hand picked from company exec’s based on how many squeals they can get from a target audience of pre-pubescent girls...It just makes me really angry that they aren’t real music, just this grotesque bubble gum manufactured thingy...

~Almindhra
She who sometimes wishes she were in a rock band

**PS: I really do think Justin is gay and they’re trying to cover it up by him “going out” with Britney Spears

Killer Joe

I'm not a fan of "Boy Bands", but I am a fan of people who actually sing (unlike lip-sync artists like Milli-Vanilli). If you sing out of tune, you do not make it in a "Boy Band" (unless you're Peter Brady :)).
BTW, who's Justin? And why is it that you know him?