The Ultimate Magic Draft

L

Lythand

OK. I never done this on the net before, so I will need some coaching along. I assume we are going to follow the picking order for a matter of 45 times, then construct decks..

turgy22

Nothing Special
Lythand said:
OK. I never done this on the net before, so I will need some coaching along. I assume we are going to follow the picking order for a matter of 45 times, then construct decks..
Yup. Then we'll play a little mini-tournament. Hopefully, it will be fun. And don't worry. I've never done this before either, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Woot! Drafting rules!

So, just a quick clarification of the rules:

We may pick any card that has been printed (all sets? even promotional?), but each card may be picked only once. After the draft is over, I am correct to assume that we may select any combination of basic lands we please?

Also, if there are any other rules, go ahead and post them.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ransac said:
Woot! Drafting rules!

So, just a quick clarification of the rules:

We may pick any card that has been printed (all sets? even promotional?), but each card may be picked only once.
Correct. All Vintage-legal cards are fair game. So, basically, no ante cards or Chaos Orb or Un-cards.

Ransac said:
After the draft is over, I am correct to assume that we may select any combination of basic lands we please?
Correct again.

Ransac said:
Also, if there are any other rules, go ahead and post them.
That's all I can think of for now. I think everyone's got the gist of my idea right now. If we run into any snafus along the way, we can try to hammer them out.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Just tidying up.

1. You may select from any Vintage Legal card. Banned Vintage Cards: Chaos Orb, Falling Star, Any Ante Cards.

2. All sets are legal EXCEPT: Unglued and Unhinged. This means the Portal sets are legal.

3. Once a card has been drafted, it may not be drafted by anybody else.

4. Once the draft is over, you may use as many basic lands as you choose.

Ransac, cpa trash man

H

Homestar

Quick question... Do non-basic lands count towards your drafts or do you pick those at the end too?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm assuming that Non-Basic lands must be part of the actual draft.

Note on that: Snow-Covered Lands (in case anybody cared) is considered basic, according to magicthegathering.com

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Homestar said:
Quick question... Do non-basic lands count towards your drafts or do you pick those at the end too?
Non-basic lands count toward your draft picks. If you want one, you have to draft it.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
turgy22 said:
For anyone who's ever participated in a fantasy draft before, the order is going to be reversed for all the even numbered rounds. I'm not sure if that has a name, but I call it a snake draft since it goes back and forth.
I believe it's called "Serpentine", so the snake comment is accurate.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

So, who is going to pick Reggie Bush as thier Number One draft pick?....<snicker>

DarthFerret, CPA Sith Weasel.

L

Lythand

How are we going to determine randomess of drawing our cards?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We're just going to draft out of a "pack" that contains every card. We're literally drafting out of every Vintage-legal card.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zigathon

Hey! Is it to late to get in on this?

Edit: Does the winner get a single copy of the cards they drafted, or a single copy of every Magic card?
There had better be a prize. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whew! Sorry I'm late on this - just my luck to go first :)

Man, and I gotta pick the very first one out of all the Magic cards there are...

I'll take Library of Alexandra.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Thanks for the recap, Ransac.

Zigathon said:
Hey! Is it to late to get in on this?
Ack! You'll mess up the perfect sanctity of the 8-man tournament! Sigh. I suppose you can join. We'll just have to play some sort of round-robin or swiss style tournament. But to be fair to everyone else, you'll have to pick last.
Updated Draft Order:
1) Spiderman
2) Oversoul
3) Ransac
4) Melkor
5) Homestar
6) DarthFerret
7) Lythand
8) turgy22
9) Zigathon

Zigathon said:
Does the winner get a single copy of the cards they drafted, or a single copy of every Magic card?
There had better be a prize. :p
The prize is getting to tell everyone else that you won. :p

Spiderman said:
I'll take Library of Alexandra.
Hmmm... that's not a card. But I suppose you can have Library of Alexandria.

I'm going to start a new thread with the pick order and all the picks so that it's easier to find.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good idea. I was going to edit mine to show my pick under my name and everything, but looks like you got to it first.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
To make everything tidy, (and I'm sure that I'm merely stating the obvious), let's have the other thread be solely for the drafting and we can continue this thread for criticizing and comments regarding the picks.

Library of Alexandria: Wow..... I never thought that pick #1 would be mispelled. Way to go, Spiderman :D. This is a good pick, I believe. I'm hoping that I can get my first two hopefuls before they reach back to you, as I imagine you'll be gunning for my second pick, as well.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ransac said:
To make everything tidy, (and I'm sure that I'm merely stating the obvious), let's have the other thread be solely for the drafting and we can continue this thread for criticizing and comments regarding the picks.
Agreed.

I also agree that the Library is a great first pick. Not only is it free card-drawing, but it doesn't lock Spidey into any colors or deck archtypes.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, that pesky "i" was hiding...

Yeah, it was hard to choose something with the pressure of being first... now I get to see what, 15 or 16 or so cards go by before my next pick...