The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

L

Limited

*sparked*

Does resemble the 'bleed' spells from ravnica block a lot.. but gives some nice design space in determining how much colorless mana a spell should cost (and therefor, how much black can be spent)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
*sparked*

Does resemble the 'bleed' spells from ravnica block a lot.. but gives some nice design space in determining how much colorless mana a spell should cost (and therefor, how much black can be spent)
Would it be too much to have one for each color?
They would only be on the opposite colors.

Black - Inflict
Red - Blaze (do 1 point of damage)
Green - Growth ( +1/+1 counter)
White - Gain (gain life or some kind of protection)
Blue - **** (bounce or card draw or search)

Or we could tie these into the Landcast somehow...... hmmmmmmm
Gotta tie this set together somehow.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Yeah, I've designed some broken cards, but that's what the R&D is for.

The "Evo" creatures all need work, but the idea is solid (I think). They were just an idea of what they could be.

To fix the ~BC3~ card, you could have the first ability read "At the end of each turn, if ~BC1~ and ~BC2~ are in the RFG zone and ~this~ is in your graveyard, return ~this~ to play." That kills the reanimate idea.

I see what the problem is with the 3-color ones, now. But, having the extra ability kick in only when there are forests in play is not the way I'd go. There needs to be something that can happen in any game. Oh, and I'd raise the cost.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
To fix the ~BC3~ card, you could have the first ability read "At the end of each turn, if ~BC1~ and ~BC2~ are in the RFG zone and ~this~ is in your graveyard, return ~this~ to play." That kills the reanimate idea.
Maybe we could have an instant cousin to :

Echo from the Void - Submitted by mooseman
2R
Sorcery
Return target opponents card to their hand that is RFG. ~ deals damage to target creature or player equal to the returned cards converted mana cost.

Like:

Escape the Void - Submitted by mooseman
U or U/B or U/B/W or U/W
Instant
Return target opponents card to their hand that is RFG.

or
Return target card RFG to owners graveyard.

L

Lythand

I have a good card.

Lythand's Treasury
Cost:0

When ever you draw ~this~ from your library, you loose. Go home and put all your magic cards you own in a box and mail them to Lythand's home address.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Lythand said:
I have a good card.

Lythand's Treasury

When ever you draw ~this~ from your library, you loose. Go home and put all your magic cards you own in a box and mail them to Lythand's home address.
Postage due - only....... :D

L

Limited

Lythand said:
I have a good card.

Lythand's Treasury

Excellent! I'd slip this card into my opponents deck before playing :)

D

DarthFerret

Lythand, I will take 500 of these cards please, and will expect half of the profits for distributing them.

L

Limited

Mooseman said:
Would it be too much to have one for each color?
They would only be on the opposite colors.

Black - Inflict
Red - Blaze (do 1 point of damage)
Green - Growth ( +1/+1 counter)
White - Gain (gain life or some kind of protection)
Blue - **** (bounce or card draw or search)

Or we could tie these into the Landcast somehow...... hmmmmmmm
Gotta tie this set together somehow.
I don't see how we can tie this in with RFG theme, but not everything has to be connected..

Example for allied colors:

Contort 4U
Instant
Tap target creature. It gets -1/-1 for each B spent to play Contort.

Or, for enemy colors:

Subvert 3W
Instant
Remove target creature from the game. It's controller loses one life for each B spent to play Subvert

Subjugate 3UUU
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on it for each G spent to play Subjugate

I don't think these abilities merrit keywording because they are too different.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Example for allied colors:

Contort 4U
Instant
Tap target creature. It gets -1/-1 for each B spent to play Contort.

Or, for enemy colors:

Subvert 3W
Instant
Remove target creature from the game. It's controller loses one life for each B spent to play Subvert

Subjugate 3UUU
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on it for each G spent to play Subjugate

The contort is kind of soso, but the other two are cool.......
If the mechanic will be the same for each instance, a key word may just be easier for templating.

Just a randon thought:

Feed the Void
1U
Draw 2 cards. Remove a card in your hand from the game.
Deal 1 point of damage to target creature for each R spent in casting ~

Reach into the Void
1BU
Return target card RFG to owners hand and return target opponents card RFG to owners hand.
Gain 1 life for each W spent in casting ~.

L

Limited

I know, Contort was really bad. Five mana to tap a creature? But it does give you the flexibility to give a creature -4/-4 if you want (and have enough black mana). Perhaps its better costed at 2U

I like the Feed the Void (very nice in-theme card) but the 'each R' could just as well been 'if R was spent' because the casting cost only has one colorless mana. Perhaps it could be upped:

Feed the Void More 3U
Sorcery
Draw three cards, then remove a card in your hand from the game.
For each R spent to play ~ it deals one damage to target creature.

Might still be a little too good though.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
On Contort: What about something like this?
Contort
X1U
Instant
Tap target creature. That creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

In tribute to takkelmagot and Kudzu....

Atog's Weirding
1R
Enchantment - Aura

This can only be played on an artifact.
On the upkeep of enchanted permanents controller, put a Hunger Counter on enchanted permanent. If the amount of counters on enchanted permanent becomes equal to or greater than its casting cost, destroy it. It's controller then chooses a new legal target for Atog's Wierding.

After the Atog's fled Mirrodin, they left a horrible curse in thier wake!

L

Limited

Ransac said:
On Contort: What about something like this?
Contort
X1U
Instant
Tap target creature. That creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.
The idea was to make these cards like the bleed spells from ravnica ("if R was played...") but have the added value of having the amount matter.
Subjugate could be costed at 1UUU which would mean its a Control Magic with a small disadvantage of having to pay three blue but maybe putting a +1/+1 counter on it. Setting the cost at 5U makes it more expensive to play, but gives the caster to put five +1/+1 counters on it, making it (i feel) the better card.

I like the following version:
Contort 2U
Instant
Tap target creature. It gets -1/-1 for each B spent to play Contort

This way, it can tap a large creature or kill a small one. Turn three, it really matters if you control two Islands and a Swamp, or vice versa.

L

Limited

Cool. A wording suggestion:

Atog's Weirding
1R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Artifact.
At the beginning of enchanted artifacts controller, put a Hunger counter on Atog's Weirding. If the number of counters on ~ is equal or exceeds the converted mana cost of enchanted artifact, destroy enchanted artifact and its controller returns ~ to play.

After the Atog's fled Mirrodin, they left a horrible curse in thier wake!

D

DarthFerret

I was just trying to follow this new format of Aura style Enchantments. Still not real familiar with them, so having difficulty figuring out how to word them.

I think you got the better wording there Limited.

What do you think of the quote?

(I just made up the quote, and the name seems to fit pretty well too!)

L

Lythand

Just so you know.. Basically and Aura enchantment is an enchantment thats not a "global" enchantment. Meaning it has to "attach" to something. Its just an added technical word for these enchantments that was used to define these types of enchantments with one word. Such as "does not tap to attack" is now known as vigilince. Any enchantments that will be reprinted from previous sets and are to be enchanted on a permanant will be "aura" enchantments.