The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

L

Limited

Approved.. just a bit of wording:

Fluttering Butterflies
GB
Creature - Butterfly
Flying
Prevent all combat damage attacking creatures would deal to <THIS>.
Whenever <THIS> blocks, lose life equal to <THIS>'s power.
2/2
Common

Are we trying to make a card to go along Valor Made Real?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Approved.. just a bit of wording:

Fluttering Butterflies
GB
Creature - Butterfly
Flying
Prevent all combat damage attacking creatures would deal to <THIS>.
Whenever <THIS> blocks, lose life equal to <THIS>'s power.
2/2
Common

Are we trying to make a card to go along Valor Made Real?
Good wording.... Ha Ha, never thought of that card.........
Maybe add, "Whenever <THIS> blocks a creature, lose life equal to <THIS>'s power." I think this will trigger for each creature it blocks.

L

Limited

I still a bit unclear that way.. if we really wanted to fix it, we could make it
"For each creature <THIS> is assigned to block, you lose life equal to <THIS>'s power" but I don't think that its really necessary.

(Would this card be a combo or a nonbo with Yare?)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I don't think that'll be a problem, unless you have a spell that lets them block multiple creatures.

I don't think it needs "blocks a creature...". Just "blocks" is enough for me.

And I still think "Fluttering Butterflies" is an odd name for a GB creature, but it's still in development stage. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
New card.

No Name yet
1B
Enchantment
When an opponent plays a spell, sacrifice <THIS>. If you do, then each opponent discards three cards.

OR

When an opponent plays a spell, sacrifice <THIS>. If you do, then each opponent puts the top three cards from their library into their graveyard.

Very mutli-playerish.......

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
If you want it to be black, use the first ability. If you want it to be blue, then use the second.

I like it. It reminds me of Standstill..... which I imagine was an inspiration for it. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
If you want it to be black, use the first ability. If you want it to be blue, then use the second.

I like it. It reminds me of Standstill..... which I imagine was an inspiration for it. :D
Yep... I even took the wording right form it....
I like the first one, so that's the one to use

L

Limited

Abashing Orb 1B
Enchantment
When an opponent plays a spell, sacrifice <THIS>. If you do, then each opponent discards three cards.

Sound about right?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Abashing Orb 1B
Enchantment

Sound about right?
That's it.

But, I wanted my opponents in multiplayer games to fight over who cast the last spell on the stack after this in in play. I wanted it to be "each other opponent"
But that wouldn't work in a 1-on-1 game at all...... :(

Maybe something like "then that player chooses one of your opponents, that opponent discards three cards"

L

Limited

Mooseman said:
Maybe something like "then that player chooses one of your opponents, that opponent discards three cards"
In a two-player game, that would still be your opponent. He'd have to pick himself.

It just dawned on me how good this card actually is. Two mana to let all your opponents discard three cards? Maybe it should just be
"When an opponent plays a spell ... each player discards three cards".

Perhaps it should only trigger on creature spells too
"When an opponent plays a creature spell ... each player discards three cards".

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
OR, instead of "plays a spell", it could be "When a spells resolves, sacrifice <this> and each opponent of that spell's controller discards three cards."

It sounds complicated, but it fits the original intention.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
It would work just like Standstill, except just on your opponents.
This is only a one shot discard, once it's sac'd no one has to discard again.
So, last spell on the stack would be the opponent who gets to choose.

Abashing Orb 1B
Enchantment
When an opponent plays a spell, sacrifice <THIS>. If you do, then that player chooses one of your opponents, that opponent discards three cards.

2cc is good since you don't get to choose who discards. It helps you smack your opponents, but you won't take the heat....... Multiplayer politics.....

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mooseman said:
But, I wanted my opponents in multiplayer games to fight over who cast the last spell on the stack after this in in play."

Playing a spell is merely putting it on the stack. In multliplayer, the first person to attempt something gets to pick the target. In order to have your intention it needs to be the "When a spells resolves, ..." that I suggested.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
Playing a spell is merely putting it on the stack. In multliplayer, the first person to attempt something gets to pick the target. In order to have your intention it needs to be the "When a spells resolves, ..." that I suggested.
NO. Just like standstill, each time a spell is put on the stack, it triggers Standstill. Only the First time the trigger resolves, do you sac standstill, all the other triggers would have no effect when they resolve.....

Example with Standstill in play:

Opponent 1 casts Carnophage
Opponent 2 casts counterspell
Opponent 1 casts Daze
Opponent 3 casts Enlightened Tutor
All players pass priority

The stack would look like this: (Last to first)
Trigger for standstill (opponent 3 chooses)
Enlightened Tutor
Trigger for standstill (opponent 1 chooses)
Daze
Trigger for standstill (opponent 2 chooses)
counterspell
Trigger for standstill (opponent 1 chooses)
Carnophage

Trigger for standstill (opponent 3 chooses) resolves and standstill is sac'd
opponent 3 doesn't draw cards
tutor resolves
Trigger for standstill (opponent 1 chooses) resolves, but standstill is not in play to be sac'd so ono one draws....

rinse, repeat.......

L

Limited

Mooseman said:
Abashing Orb 1B
Enchantment
When an opponent plays a spell, sacrifice <THIS>. If you do, then that player chooses one of your opponents, that opponent discards three cards.

2cc is good since you don't get to choose who discards. It helps you smack your opponents, but you won't take the heat....... Multiplayer politics.....
In multiplayer, this is fun. But one on one, it would translate to this:
"When an opponent plays a spell, sacrifice <THIS>. If you do, that opponent discards three cards."
because he is the only player who is your opponent.

And then 1B would not be nearly enough.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Unless THIS has been changed too, which I don't think so, whenever a spell is played and is put on the stack, it would activate the Standstill. That's the whole point of Standstill. You play it and no one wants to play anything. I've seen this literally dozens of times in past AND recent tourneys.

The FIRST player to put something on the stack triggers the Standstill, not the first to resolve. I played that card in several decks and played it today.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
The FIRST player to put something on the stack triggers the Standstill, not the first to resolve. I played that card in several decks and played it today.
yes, but so does all other spells that go on the stack, until a trigger resolves does the standstill get sac'd. When a spell hits the stack, the standstill will trigger, but doesnot resolve until all players pass priority. Thus if multiple spells are put on the stack before anything resolves, it's the las spell's trigger that resolves. The only time the first spell's trigger willresolve (and sac standstill) is if all players pass priority and allow the only trigger to resolve. I had to rule on this many times when it first came out.

Example 1
Player A plays Wall of hope
Standstill triggers goes on the stack
Standstill trigger resolves, standstill is sac'd and all players not Player A draw cards.
Wall of Hope resolves.
Stack is now empty

Example 2
Player A plays Wall of hope
Standstill triggers goes on the stack (player A's spell)
Player B casts Counterspell
Standstill triggers goes on the stack (Player B's spell)
Standstill trigger resolves, standstill is sac'd and all players not Player B draw cards.
Counter spell resolves, countering Wall of Hope
Standstill trigger resolves, but ther is no standstill to sac, thus no one draws cards.
Stack is now empty

The key is when players pass priority and let something resolve off the stack.
Player B could have let the standstill trigger for Player A resolve, drawn the cards for it and then cast counterspell before Wall of Hope resolved.

Does this make sense to you or am I being confusing?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
But doesn't it sacrifice as part of it triggering?

Ransac, cpa trash man
No, only on resolution of the trigger (the first time it resolves)
Remember, it's a triggered ability.