Survivor: Fiji

E

EricBess

Oh no....

Well, here's the basic run down. It's tough to say too much right now because you really don't know much about everyone.

The 19 people all landed together with no sign of Jeff. Eventually, there was a box dropped that had supplies and instructions on building a shelter, completely with toilet and a kitchen.

One of the women is an architect, so she basically just took charge. When they finally met up with Jeff, he asked if they had sort of singled her out as a leader and everyone said yes, and that they were glad of having her because they were all clueless.

So, he told her to divide up the players into 2 teams of 9, her being the odd man out. Once she was done, he told her that she was still in the game, but would spend the night on Exile Island. She would be immune from the vote and have the first clue to the location of the hiddle idol.

After elimination, she would join the losing tribe on a different beach and the winning tribe would get the benefits of the structure.

She got to Exile Island and the clue to the location of the idol was that it was back at the campsite, not on Exile Island. I think that must mean there are two idols and the previews hinted at that as well.

There was a group of three people that sort of bonded on the losing tribe and everyone else wanted to vote one of them out, so they weren't able to keep things together. Basically, it came down to trouble putting together a puzzle. It probably wouldn't have gotten her voted out in a later episode, but since no one really knows each other yet, it's all they have to go on.

I think that's the highlights and important stuff.

E

EricBess

Hasn't come up yet that I remember. Have to check the website and see...

E

EricBess

Looks like Anthony.

From the web:

Robinson enjoys gaming--live action role-playing (dressing up in costumes and reliving an era or genre), video games and poker. He also enjoys dancing, juggling, roller hockey, watching movies and creating his own movies. He describes himself as friendly, dorky and intelligent. He is a member of the Yale Alumni Association and a genre writing group called "Fictionados."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Woo-hoo! Forgot Survivor is one of the shows on Comcast's On Demand, so we got to see the first episode after all... and the second.

Moto sure is cocky. I think the teams are now "stuck" where they are, but it'd be good to have the losing team go to the non-shelter area and the winning team go to the shelter.

And Ravu should have had the challenge - they just fell short in the assembly part.

E

EricBess

Great news. We've occasionally watched Heroes that way when my wife falls asleep in the middle of it. Not Comcast, but streaming from whatever station that's on. CBS has survivor that way, too, but I'm not sure if it's the entire episode and their interface isn't that great.

Yeah, living the life can make anyone feel that they are untouchable. Ravu just needs to pull themselves together and win something and that will hopefully change very quickly. Although I suspect there are a few Moto players that they wouldn't mind getting rid of...Personalities have to be clashing a bit.

Of course, in true Survivor fashion, you really only see the drama on the team that's going to elimination. About 90% of last episode was Ravu if I remember correctly. I understand why they do that, but I wish they would focus on the other team a bit also.

Dispite being uncomfortable, I think Ravu actually has the stronger people on their tribe. But they need to figure out who on their team is good at puzzles and just let that person take charge when there are puzzles. Ericka certainly wasn't that person. They have an archatect on their team. I would think they could rely on her to put a few sticks together...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I agree that the focus was on Ravu.

The architect person might be going next, though (she would have gone last week if Erika didn't have a meltdown).

Maybe if it's an all-physical challenge they can win...

E

EricBess

I won't say too much until you've seen it then. It was a bit harder this time to predict who would go to tribal council because there was enough talk on both sides that you could see who might be voted out either way.

I will say that the search for the idol is going to be really interesting this season. What they showed of the search for the idol was very clever, but I think that finding the idol without everyone knowing it is going to require some late nights...

It's going to be interesting to see if those who have previously been to exile island are watching the people who come back to see if they can figure out what the clues might have been.

However, I also have to add that while I understand why they are doing the idol the way they are this season, I can't help but think that it really makes the idol become largely irrelevant. The past 2 seasons, the idol has been used as a power tool and effectively gotten the person into the top-4 just because no one wants to vote for them and give them control of a vote. Smart players will hedge their bets and intentionally split a vote just to be safe, as long as they have the numbers to do it.

The problem is, in this season, you can't use the idol that way. I suppose if you find it, you can say you are going to use it, but then what? Do you hold onto it hoping people won't call your bluff or do you use it, only to find out that it was wasted anyway and now you are no longer protected? Either way, it's not very powerful... I think they went too far in trying to avoid the power that it's given the past 2 seasons. It's harder than ever to obtain, but completely anticlimatic...

I will also say that at one point, Boo makes a comment that I think was a bit conceited. Let people have their fun. It wasn't so abusive. Besides, taunting from a lesser position isn't clearly "rude"... I thought what happened was in the spirit of friendly competition and Boo really took it too far.

S

sageridder

Does that "Rocky" guy remind you guys of "Boston Rob" To me he seems to have the same weasle quality. Also about the idols I think the one for the "rich" team will be harder to get. I have to imagine those blueprints on the first day were very specific as to where to build for a reason, it must be right under that little living room they have.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw it on On Demand...

I'm not sure I agree with EricBess's analysis 100%, but it does require some different strategy thinking than before. I was wondering if Sylvia actually found it but of course not...

And what was she doing at the immunity challenge? :eek: Flailing around in the same spot for a bit... geez. I'm glad she recognized that she was terrible but wow...

sageridder: My wife said the safe thing about "Rocky", only it was more that they had the same accent. But his wheelings and dealings are kinda similiar...

I kind of agree and disagree about the taunting. While it was kind of in poor taste, Ravu's losing and they just need to get themselves pumped up.

E

EricBess

I can certainly see where any sort of taunting might be upsetting, but the nature of the challenge was a race to eat disgusting stuff. So, one could argue that a bit of taunting designed to disgust the opponent might be considered part of the strategy.

Regardless, I think Boo overreacted and was probably out of line more than the guy doing the taunting. I mean, he basically set up an excuse for himself to not have to respect the other team, nevermind the fact that it was just one guy on the other team that was doing it and it really wasn't that overt (IMO).

I can see that about Rocky. He seems to want to be in control as well, just like Boston Rob. The difference is that Boston Rob was more like a Godfather in how he did it. He played his game mostly behind the scenes, while Rocky is being more assertive about how he's trying to control the vote. Ironically, he's already gone against two people that he had supposedly allied with. In one case, he promised to tell if they were on the chopping block and didn't, and in the other, he just basically abandoned the alliance altogether.

And yeah, it looked like Sylvia was trying to slide her way across instead of stand up and move, but it clearly wasn't working and she kept doing it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you about Boo but you know, since they're not really focusing on Moto right now, maybe the rest of the tribe (or more people) agreed with him but they didn't show it <shrug>

E

EricBess

Did you see it yet? I don't want to give too much away. Some of what happened was obvious, but the twist at tribal council may have been their most interesting twist yet. It's interesting to me that the Moto tribe is all arrogant and "powerful", but when push comes to shove, we see what they consider to be a bigger advantage in the game...

Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet, I hope I haven't given away anything. Let me know when you have.

S

sageridder

I thought the "twist" at the challenge was a good one, helps to stop the game from being to one sided no matter what was choosen. You know it allways amazes me how some people that go on reality shows can be so oblivious to how they are. That woman on the the moto team, I think she's a sales rep red brown hair in her late 30's early 40's comes off as such an ass**** talking about that mexican girl and not wanting to be a "babysitter" to papa smurf while acting all nice to him. She comes off as bad as some of the women on trading spouses, rasist and two faced why the hell would you want to show that part of you on national television is beyond me.