Sports League: Season 4 Sign-Ups and Info

Melkor

So when you cast a bunch of big creatures that I didn't have answers for, that wasn't you telling me to cast Humility? My mistake then.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Week 13 Match-ups
Rokapoke vs. Turgy22
Mooseman vs. Melkor
Spiderman vs. Boogiebye

I updated the records for the season so far, excluding all games with boogiepop.
Looks like Rokapoke has secured the top spot in the championship match and Spiderman, Melkor and myself are fighting for the privilege of playing him.
Mooseman should probably start thinking about the direction he wants his deck to go next season.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is Week 13 the last week then? 'Cause if not, I can start my Week 14... :)

Mooseman: I gotta find my cards, but if you wanna trade some of the black cards, I'm listening :D

turgy22

Nothing Special
Here's a list of all the remaining games to be played. I'll cross them off as they complete. Feel free to play as many as you can handle.

Week 13
Mooseman vs. Melkor

Week 14
Melkor vs. Spiderman
Turgy22 vs. Mooseman

Week 15
Turgy22 vs. Melkor
Rokapoke vs. Spiderman

turgy22

Nothing Special
Three games left... I want to jot down some details and what the remaining results mean as far as tie-breakers are concerned.

Rokapoke: In the finals.
Mooseman: Needs a new deck.

Melkor: 5-5 record, two games to finish
vs. Spiderman (1-1)
vs. Turgy22 (2-0)
Melkor makes the finals if he...
-Wins both games (Final record = 7-5; Turgy22 finishes 6-6)
-Beats Spiderman AND Turgy22 loses to Mooseman (Final record 6-6; Turgy22 finishes 6-6; Melkor holds tiebreaker advantage)

Turgy22: 5-5 record, two games to finish (trails Spiderman 1-2 head-to-head)
vs. Mooseman (1-1)
vs. Melkor (0-2)
Turgy22 makes the finals if he...
-Wins both games (Final record = 7-5; Melkor & Spiderman finish 6-6)

Spiderman: 5-6 record, one game to finish (holds a 2-1 edge vs. Turgy22)
vs. Melkor (1-1)
Spiderman makes the finals if he...
-Beats Melkor AND Turgy22 loses one of his final two games (Final record = 6-6; wins tiebreakers against both Turgy22 and Melkor)

I think that covers all the possibilities.

Current projections:
Turgy22 defeats Mooseman
Melkor defeats Spiderman

Melkor vs. Turgy22 is too early in the game to call, but at this point, I'd give the edge to Melkor. Looks like the season will come down to this game.

turgy22

Nothing Special
And after two years, we near the end of Season 4 of the sports league.

Finals matchup is Rokapoke vs. Melkor.
You two compete in a best-of-three match for champion of league.

Melkor

Wow, two years to the day. I think we all deserve a big hand for our efficiency and speed /end sarcasm font/.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
On the other hands, that's what, six new expansions to draft from :)

Speaking of which, did we ever decide to retire cards or not?

turgy22

Nothing Special
No, we did not. Based on the voting results of my questions, we agreed that cards should be retired using a vote and that cards can only be retired if they're used often and have been in the league a long time.

I'm going to throw out a suggestion similar to what I proposed last year that is easy to track and, I believe, fits the spirit of the process.
-After each game, each player may vote for one card that their opponent played during the game that they believe is too powerful and should be retired.
-Players may NOT vote for a "rookie" card (e.g. one that was just drafted before the start of the season).
-Players MAY abstain from voting.
-Once a card has reach 12 votes, it will be retired.
-All cards with 12 votes will be retired at the end of the season and placed in the Sports League Hall of Fame.

Why I like this idea:
1. It's really easy for me to increment the "retirement counter" on any particular card after each game.
2. It guarantees that a card is seeing play before it gets retired.
3. It guarantees that a card can be used for at least 2 seasons (1 season immunity + 12 votes needed to retire) before getting retired.
4. It allows players to prepare for losses as they see the retirement counter ticking upward after each game.
4. It's not random and provides immediate feedback after usage.

Potential problems:
1. It's probably much slower than I'm intending. The odds of one particular card getting played in a game are probably around 25%, so it might not be until 3 or 4 seasons down the road before we see our first retirement.
2. It might effect gameplay decisions. If a player is involved in a lopsided game, they might hold back their best card for fear that it will get a retirement vote.

Can everyone can give a simple "sure, let's try that" or "no, that is completely unacceptable"? If I get three votes in favor, we'll start this method for the upcoming season. If not, I will allow someone else to propose an idea and we'll take another vote on that.

I'm in favor, by the way.

R

rokapoke

I'm in favor.

I think potential problem #2 should be a non-issue, because if the game is already lopsided I (personally) won't take advantage of the "well, he did use the [insert card name here] to deal the last damage... I'll vote for it!" loophole. I don't anticipate anybody really doing that, or withholding a card that can help them win. And another 2 seasons for any of the existing cardpool is good, so that full utility can be dragged out of each card.

Melkor

Fine with me, I'd really prefer a lower threshold for retirement because getting 20 votes will take a long time with only 12 games in a season. I'd lower the threshold to like 13 votes, but then delay the retirement of the card to the end of the season rather than immediately.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Let's do it! Anything's better than nothing and if it doesn't work out, the cards can always be added back in :)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Fine with me, I'd really prefer a lower threshold for retirement because getting 20 votes will take a long time with only 12 games in a season.
For some reason, I was thinking we played 15 games per season instead of 12.
How about we set the threshold to 12?
I'd lower the threshold to like 13 votes, but then delay the retirement of the card to the end of the season rather than immediately.
I was already thinking that all retirements would take place at the end of the season. Not sure why I didn't articulate that in my post. This seems like an obvious thing, since the post-season entrants get there based on the strength of their decks. That shouldn't be changing during the season.

One last thing: I'm going to retire the oldest group of free agent cards as soon as next season begins. Anyone have a problem with that?

One more last thing: Why haven't Melkor and Rokapoke started their championship match yet? C'mon, you guys. The rest of us want to see who wins.

R

rokapoke

Sure, I'm in. I have a title to defend, since it would be in poor form for me to bow out as soon as I win the championship.