Sports League: Season 4 Sign-Ups and Info

B

boogiepop

I just realized that the column for lands in my pool isn't totaled either, so I still have 61 cards. I'll make it simple and cut the land.

Cutting...
Dakmor Salvage.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Boogiepop wins his first league game, putting him in first place (and me in last) until everyone else is ready to actually get on with their games. C'mon, people. The fans are getting restless.

Melkor

Sorry, I had a computer meltdown and I'm lazy and don't want to rebuild my deck. I'll get it back up and running in the next couple days. Although then I'm on vacation next week, so we'll see how it goes.

I think 5 seasons from now is too long to start retiring cards and if people are doing mass substitutions then it is a little hard to keep track. How about we just pick 10 cards at random from each players card pool to retire each season and each person can protect 5 cards each season but can't protect the same 5 cards in consecutive seasons?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Sorry, I had a computer meltdown and I'm lazy and don't want to rebuild my deck. I'll get it back up and running in the next couple days. Although then I'm on vacation next week, so we'll see how it goes.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get up and running soon.

I think 5 seasons from now is too long to start retiring cards and if people are doing mass substitutions then it is a little hard to keep track. How about we just pick 10 cards at random from each players card pool to retire each season and each person can protect 5 cards each season but can't protect the same 5 cards in consecutive seasons?
I don't like that idea at all. I think the idea of "retirement" should be used specifically to promote competitive balance and remove overpowered / broken cards in the format. Allowing cards to be protected means the worst offenders will stick around. I also hate the idea of random card selections for retirement. I think there should be some logic behind why cards are removed from the league.

Anyway, that's just one player's opinion. If everyone else likes it, we can use it.

So far, we've seen 3 - 4 ideas on how to implement the retirement system. We should start hashing out some details behind these plans and then put it to a vote.
Questions to think about:
-Should retirement selections be random?
-Should retirement selections be voted on?
-Should all players be forced to retire cards at the same rate?
-Should retirements be tied to the number of seasons a card has been in the league?
-Should cards only be retired if they're used?
-Should players be allowed to protect cards from retirement?

Actually, maybe we should simply do a yes/no vote on these questions (and any others people might have) and see where that leads.

R

rokapoke

So far, we've seen 3 - 4 ideas on how to implement the retirement system. We should start hashing out some details behind these plans and then put it to a vote.
[1]-Should retirement selections be random?
[2]-Should retirement selections be voted on?
[3]-Should all players be forced to retire cards at the same rate?
[4]-Should retirements be tied to the number of seasons a card has been in the league?
[5]-Should cards only be retired if they're used?
[6]-Should players be allowed to protect cards from retirement?

Actually, maybe we should simply do a yes/no vote on these questions (and any others people might have) and see where that leads.
My answers:

1. No, retirement should NOT be random.
2. Yes, I think that the league members would best know which cards are overpowered in the format.
3. No, because I believe that retirement is more of a "hall of fame" situation rather than just "wearing out" a card.
4. Yes, so that each card can actually be used in league play and so that players have a few seasons to work on defeating each game-breaking card.
5. Yes, to allow for players to stash cards for an alternative strategy that develops over several drafts.
6. Yes, but only for one more season of use -- then retirement should come after the final season in the sun (i.e., retirement is decided after Season 6, then the card is officially retired after Season 7).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts/answers:

1-Should retirement selections be random?
2-Should retirement selections be voted on?
3-Should all players be forced to retire cards at the same rate?
4-Should retirements be tied to the number of seasons a card has been in the league?
5-Should cards only be retired if they're used?
6-Should players be allowed to protect cards from retirement?
1 -No. Consistency is good.
2 - No. Just have a consistent retirement process that doesn't involve players
3 - Yes... if this goes with the above with a consistent retirement process.
4 - Yes... but also is kinda dependent on 5
5 - Yes, because as active cards get retired, those unactive ones may become important
6 - No, goes along with 2

turgy22

Nothing Special
Since I should probably answer my own questions...
Should retirement selections be random?
No.
Should retirement selections be voted on?
Yes.
But I'm also not opposed to a non-voting system. I think voting is the easiest way to implement retirements without doing it randomly (which I strongly oppose.)
Should all players be forced to retire cards at the same rate?
No.
I personally think only the best cards should be retired, regardless of who's using them.
Should retirements be tied to the number of seasons a card has been in the league?
No.
For simplicity, mostly. I'm not opposed to changing my vote on this issue, but I feel this will be a pain to track.
Should cards only be retired if they're used?
Yes.
Again, this is something that's going to be a pain to track, which is why I favor a single vote after each game for a card that was used during that game. If we need to start keeping a record of our deck builds during the season, I would change my vote to a No.
Should players be allowed to protect cards from retirement?
No.

Melkor

To be clear, I'd prefer a system based on usage and seasons played, but the logistics of such a system seem like a pain. So I suggested the random thing as something that could be implemented immediately and easily (and the protection thing as a way to prevent decks from being gutted in a single year). I could get behind a voting system but someone has to figure out one that we can all get behind. My general guiding principles are that I want retirements to be impactful, and I want the system to be implemented as soon as possible.

So technically my answers to the questions are:
1. Yes, unless we're willing to come up with a more complicated system.
2. Sure, if we can come up with an agreeable system.
3. I don't mind uneven retirements, I guess I'm generally in favor.
4. It would be nice, playing into the sports league feel, but it does seem like a pain.
5. I would prefer that cards that you stash don't get retired if they don't see actual play, but again, logistics are potentially tough.
6. I'd only have the protection element if we had the random element, in order to reduce the randomness. If the retirements aren't random then I'd be against.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maybe we should just redraft at the end of x amount of seasons.
Maybe just select a few cards from the current lists or all new cards.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Still waiting on Spiderman and Melkor to get up to speed, but here are some future pairings anyway:

Week 2 Match-ups
Melkor vs. Boogiepop
Spiderman vs. Turgy22
Mooseman vs. Rokapoke (Rokapoke wins!)

Week 3 Match-ups
Mooseman vs. Melkor
Rokapoke vs. Turgy22
Spiderman vs. Boogiepop

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey turgy22, I don't seem to have an updated spreadsheet of my cards. I was trying to take away the ones I dropped but I can't even find Loxodon Wayfarer, the first card I listed. Can you upload what I should have?

turgy22

Nothing Special
I updated the first post with the latest spreadsheet. Loxodon Wayfarer is in the Free Agent list, so I believe that you cut it, though I don't have time to go back right now to confirm.

EDIT: Yes, Loxodon Wayfarer is the first card you cut this season.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Right, I meant it was the first card I listed to be cut and I can't find it on my spreadsheet, so I must have started cutting cards but stopped at some point and not sure where I left off. I'll just start over again with the new list, thanks.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I blame Spiderman.

Week 4 Match-ups
Boogiepop vs. Rokapoke
Melkor vs. Spiderman
Turgy22 vs. Mooseman

Melkor and Mooseman still haven't started their week 3 game, so I'll start a thread for that.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Week 5 Match-ups (for those who are ready and able)
Turgy22 vs. Melkor
Boogiepop vs. Mooseman
Rokapoke vs. Spiderman

turgy22

Nothing Special
Five rounds done, just ten more to go. After the first period, Rokapoke and Spiderman have a commanding lead for the finals. Will they be able to stay on top?

Week 6 Match-ups
Melkor vs. Rokapoke
Spiderman vs. Mooseman
Boogiepop vs. Turgy22