Sports League: Season 4 Sign-Ups and Info

turgy22

Nothing Special
Time to start up season 4. I'm going to assume that all of last season's participants will be returning. If anyone wants to drop, let me know. Also, if anyone new wants to join, sign up here. I'll keep this post updated to reflect any changes in participating players.​

Participant
*Rokapoke (9-3)​
*Melkor (7-5)​
Turgy22 (6-6)​
Spiderman (5-7)​
Mooseman (3-9)​

We'll be using the same rules as last season, except roster limits will be expanded to 60 cards after the draft. Minimum deck size is still 40 cards.​

If anyone wants to switch decks with one of the available unused decks found in this spreadsheet*, they're welcome to do so. (Note: I've changed the rule here about draft order switching for changing decks. IMO, the existing decks are already at a disadvantage, since they've all missed out on drafts, so there will no longer be a penalty for switching. I see no reason to further penalize a player for wanting to try something different. If anyone disagrees with this change, let me know.)​

Also, if anyone wants to scrap their deck and start over, they can do so. You'll receive three boosters from three different sets of your choosing and maintain your spot in the draft. Obviously, you'll have consistency problems with a three-booster card pool, but it could be manageable if you open good stuff and find people willing to trade.​

Everyone gets to choose a booster pack for the upcoming draft. I can generate boosters for any set right now up to and including Dark Ascension. All the boosters I create will contain 1 rare, 3 uncommons and 11 commons - no basic lands or varying pack sizes. I coded my booster generator for consistency, not authenticity. Mythic rares will show up, but timeshifted and premium (foil) cards will not.​

Everyone can post their choice of booster here. Like last season, I don't want the draft to contain two of the same booster. If I get multiple PMs with the same set, I'll ask one of the players to choose another.​

Just a reminder that "free agent" cards are available to pick up at any time from now until the draft begins. Just make a swap by dropping a card on your roster and picking one listed as a Free Agent. Once the draft starts, everyone needs to wait until it's over and can then continue making FA acquisitions once their rosters are down to the 60-card limit. Like last season, there will be a priority set on free agent claims made by more than one player in a 24-hour period.​

The current priority for free agent claims is as follows:​
1. Spiderman​
2. Mooseman​
3. Turgy22​
4. Rokapoke​
5. Melkor​
6. Boogiepop​

Everyone is also free to make any trades from now until the season begins (including during the draft). You can trade cards OR upcoming draft picks, though if you trade picks, make sure you're specific about exactly which choice is being traded, since there are multiple picks in all rounds except the first.​

I think that's everything we need to know to get started. Any questions, comments or suggestions, post here.​

*Spreadsheet updated for Season 4! (Mar 15, 2012)​

Attachments

B

boogiepop

I would like to sign up, if I may. When would the drafting begin?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Awesome. Drafting would probably begin around the first of March. We're all flexible, though, so if that doesn't fit your schedule, I can easily move it around.

Also, you'll have to decide what you'd like to use to get started. You can either choose a pre-existing cardpool from the choices listed in the Excel file I posted earlier or you can request any three different booster packs to start up from scratch. I highly recommend picking from the choices out there already if you want a chance to compete right away. If you're having trouble viewing the Excel file, let me know and I can post the card here or send them to you in a private conversation.

It will be nice to have 6 players, since it won't effect the length of the schedule and will eliminate bye weeks (not to mention additional competition and more variety). It would be even better if we could find two more interested players (for 8 total), as I can then move back to divisional play and shorten the schedule to 13 weeks (it's currently at 15).

R

rokapoke

I would like a booster pack from Planar Chaos for the draft.

B

boogiepop

Ok, I guess I'll opt to pick from the preexisting pool then. I can view it on my computer, I'm just still a little unsure of the process of selection. Do I just pick one of the five available extra decks and build something from them? Or am I supposed to choose X free agent cards?
Thanks in advance!

Oh, and as you are aware, I may unfortunately be unavailable for some time at the beginning of the month. With any luck, I'll have the internet sorted out real quick (fingers crossed!), but I honestly can't say for sure. If this would cause any disruption or delay in the draft, please feel free to simply skip over my turns as they come. I really don't want to cause any trouble.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Step 1. Pick one of the five available card pools (aka "rosters"). Keep in mind, they aren't decks. They're just the cards you'll use to build a deck with.
Step 2. You can pick up any free agent cards as long as your total card pool remains at or below 55 cards. If you have 55 cards in your pool and want another FA card, you need to drop a card in your pool to pick it up.
Step 3. Pick a booster pack that will be added to the upcoming draft.
Step 4. Make draft picks. I'll explain in further detail how that works when I start up a draft thread. If you think you'll be unavailable, once you see the cards, you can make a list of them in your order of preference and ask someone else to note your choices. (Preferably someone not in the league or who would not be interested in the same cards as you.)
Step 5. After the draft, you'll need to cut your card pool down to 60 cards and build a minimum 40-card deck to play with.

I hope that answers your questions.

R

rokapoke

Step 5. After the draft, you'll need to cut your card pool down to 60 cards and build a 40-card deck to play with.
Just to clarify, that's a deck with a MINIMUM of 40 cards; your deck is permitted to be larger.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I've uploaded a downloadable spreadsheet for Spiderman and/or anyone else who can't view the GoogleDocs file.

boogiepop: Have you chosen a starting card pool yet?

B

boogiepop

Wow, I'm so sorry if I've grinded things to a halt.

The excuse: I don't have internet at my apartment and it seems like it will be a while still before I do. Basically, I need to get an alien registration card before I can set up a bank account and pay for things like internet. But... I had to get a medical checkup first (which I've now done. It took about a week to get the results.) Now I have to wait another week or two before the paperwork for the card gets done.

I started a new job... teaching... so all my internet time at work has been spent planning lessons and stuff (and this, in turn, obviously means all my internet time.) Now that the first difficult week is over and I'm going through my e-mail, I realize that I'd completely forgotten the draft. My bad.

I don't want to be the difficult one, so whatever you think is best, I'll go along with. If you want to boot me and I'll just have to join up next season, I understand. Or if you're okay with me being a little slow on the response time for awhile, then I'll do my best to keep up on things for this next week (or two weeks.) and will take Deck 4.

Apologies once again.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto. We once waited almost a year before starting a Tribal game because I had some, um, "delays"...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Haha! If we were concerned about taking too much time, we wouldn't be playing MTG on a message board.

Next step, pick a booster for the draft. The following have already been chosen:
Innistrad (Spiderman)
Planar Chaos (rokapoke)
6th Edition (Melkor)
Time Spiral (Mooseman)
Scars of Mirrodin (turgy22)

Also, you currently have only 45 cards, so you can pick up as many as ten free agent cards before / during the draft.

B

boogiepop

Okey doke. Thanks, guys!

I'll take Future Sight and finish off that block. And I'll try and get my agent picks done on Thursday of Friday.

B

boogiepop

Hmm, I don't know if this problem is related to my work computer or not, but I'm now getting the following error message when I try to open the spreadsheet: "You need permission to access this item.
You are signed in as ~, but you don't have permission to access this item. You can request access from the owner or choose a different account."
I'm guessing it's the computer settings. If it's cool, I'm just going to pick the free agents after the draft. Or you could just give me the first five red and green agents. I'm perfectly happy either way.

Have a good weekend, guys.