Shadowmoor Previews

B

Budget Player Cadet

Melkor said:
I definitely don't think Rhys the Redeemed is very powerful at all, I might go so far as to say it is a bad rare.
Not just the redeemed, believe me.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'll have to agree with Melkor on this one. Rhys the Redeemed seems really not that good. He could do some damage in limited and I could see having some fun with him in a casual game, but he's too slow, inefficient and narrow to make much of a mark anywhere else. Doubling your tokens for 6 mana is not a powerful effect. Just compare the card to Imperious Perfect, which comes in at uncommon and is SO much better, IMO.

On the other hand, Rosewater's card seems like a legitimate bomb. A 4/4 flyer that guarantees its status as the biggest creature on the board? Sounds pretty good to me. However, it's highly restrictive casting cost will make it hard to get out in limited and I really can't judge constructed formats, so it might not even be that good. After all, it does still die to Terror, Deathmark, and any number of other removal spells. So it's definitely not blow-you-away powerful. For all I know, it might only be useful as a sideboard card against beatdown decks.

And the third preview card, which I've attached, also doesn't really amaze me. It's basically a 4/4 artifact creature for 7 mana that allows you to distribute three -1/-1 counters when it comes into play. It'll probably be decent as a late-game limited card, but it won't sniff a competitive deck.

Attachments

B

Budget Player Cadet

So, judging from reactions, certain people aren't happy about the prieviews (the only ones I liked were the two demigods), are you still going to do one of the following:
*Buy a buttload of shadowmoor
*Go to the prerelease
*Go to the launch party?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, these are only a handful of cards so far, and these previews are just supposed to show off what the expansion offers, not necessarily the "best" cards of the set and all. If I had money and time, I'd still buy Shadowmoor (along with past expansions) and go to the prerelease...

M

Modus Pwnens

I'll be judging at the prerelease, and probably play in the instore release the week after. Then the drafting begins :D

B

Budget Player Cadet

Killer Joe said:
I'll be at the pre-release working the tables. :)
I'll be playing the prerelease. I have 25 euros saved up for the occasion.

M

Modus Pwnens

Given the current exchange rates, it's about 300 of those silly American dollars :D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Modus Pwnens said:
Given the current exchange rates, it's about 300 of those silly American dollars :D
300!!!!!! on a pre-release? That's insane..... Actually it's about $39.00 with a conversion rate of 1.5806, which is way better..... so what does that get you at a pre-release?

Killer Joe said:
I'll be at the pre-release working the tables.
Let's hope we have tables at this new place.......

B

Budget Player Cadet

Spiderman said:
Site Preview card for 4/2
Sick. First it's a beater, then it's a card draw engine!
Oh, and that card that lets you draw two for each card you draw... Breakable?

M

Modus Pwnens

Not really, it's only you, so you'll just draw a lot more, which is your only advantage (making it a reasonable card, but due to the high cost not exceptional).

B

Budget Player Cadet

No, you deck yourself. 'Whenever you would draw a card, draw two cards instead' means that you keep drawing until something happens or you lose.

R

Rakarth

I think it would be that if you were told to draw a card, as your are in your draw step, instead of drawing a single card, you draw two cards. This is the ability resolving. That's it, it doesn't say if you would draw a card, draw another after which I think would cause you to deck yourself because it states draw.

However this is as Spidey says, a replacement effect, so instead of drawing one you draw two. No more no less :) think of it as changing the rules text to draw two cards as opposed to draw a card.

Rakarth