Shadowmoor Previews

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
He didn't, that's why we gotta wait until the rules update comes along for the set :) It's to tease us...

D

DarthFerret

Nope, If the card (such as the one in the first post) says B/R B/R B/R B/R B/R it would take 5 mana of either Black or Red to cast it. I agree with Moose that 2/B 2/B 2/B would be 3, 4, 5, or 6 mana. That is as follows:

6 mana of any color/colorless (6)

4 mana of any color/colorless and one Black (5)

2 mana of any color/colorless and 2 Black (4)

3 Black mana (3)

That seems to me to be the most sensible way to stick with the split costs of a card. The other questions I have, using the card in the first post as an example, is what color is the card. Is it Red and Black, or does it depend on the actual mana used to cast it? eg. I use 5 Red mana to cast it so it is red. Not Black. Is this the case, or because there is both black and red in the cc is it both black and red? I would assume if this second statement is true then the card would be gold colored, however I have been known to be wrong before. (at least once, I think) :D

D

DarthFerret

Actually, Ransac, he stated that
Mark Rosewater said:
"How does one figure out the converted mana cost of it and other cards like it (yes, there's more)? Don't worry, it's written on the card.

...Okay, okay, it's six. You can stop the email bombing now."

That is how you figure the converted mana cost. Not the Actual Cost.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's black and red 'cause it follows the rules of determining the color of a card by the mana colors printed on the card. It doesn't matter what the actual mana used to pay for it is, there's a black and red symbol on it so it's black and red.

And we were arguing about the converted mana cost of Beseech the Queen to begin with, which just got shortened to "cost" and apparently confused you later folks who joined in :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Hybrid cards are multicolored cards.
* A hybrid card is each color that appears in its mana cost, regardless of what color or colors were paid to play it. For example, a card that costs {R/W} is red and white.

Rosewater seems to be saying that converted mana cost is 6 only, so this would be a departure from the split/hybrid cards......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think so, I think he's saying that the converted mana cost is equal to the greatest/biggest possible cost. Before, it was always 1 for 1; a black or a red or a colorless. Now you can pay a single color or 2 colorless (or there's probably cards with 3 colorless or one color), so he's saying the cc is just greatest total. The rules will probably be updated to show that.

B

Budget Player Cadet

When I say stuff like I just did, you have to keep in mind-up to about a month ago, I was chucking 5 euros a week away to play legacy (I'm not that dumb anymore, I know it's only my own fault) and I just hated how whenever I wanted to play a threat, "Force of will, removing mana drain from the game".
I have a problem with counterspells.
And I was just explained why Dash Hopes Sucks.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spidey: I was referring to the split cards having more than one converted cc, it seems these new cards will only have one converted cc.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh. Yeah, but these aren't even split cards, they're hybrid cards. I would think they fall under existing hybrid rules (which obviously get modified for the different ratio possible mana costs).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not a preview card, but a preview taste of card text/card names from Mark's article:

Shadowmoor contains:
  • The word "indestructible"—on a common
  • A blue sorcery with the text "Take an extra turn after this one" and a mana cost of 3UU
  • A creature that's the third black-bordered creature to have its keyword ability
  • A rare cycle built around one of my favorite words (although the word itself only actually shows up in print on one of the five cards; cursed templaters!)
  • A black sorcery that has three targets and creates six counters
  • A rare white sorcery with just four words in its rules text
  • A card that gives protection from something never granted before—and not to a permanent
  • The expression "+20/+20 until end of turn"
  • And the introduction of "Q"; never has something so simple been so brain melting (one more hint: Q's a thing, but not a keyword mechanic)

Here are a few names of Shadowmoor cards:
  • Gnarled Effigy
  • Kitchen Finks
  • Kithkin Rabble
  • Midnight Banshee
  • Worldpurge
  • Wort, the Raidmother
Also, the Orb of Insight is up but no mention of "Dwarf" or "Dwarven" :(

B

Budget Player Cadet

There's more, too... On the site, there are other preview cards, and the 'untap symbol' !!!

R

rokapoke

You know, I think I'm glad I stopped buying cards a while back (Time Spiral or so)... it really seems like they're just blowing the old cards out of the water, powerwise.

C'mon, look at Rei's card from today... One mana of either color to drop that thing? Can you imagine dropping that during, say, Onslaught block? Your opponent would either cry or throw things at you!

I personally feel, with admittedly little data to back this up, that the balance between old cards and new sets is no longer a concern. It is, rather, a hindrance to the profits of the company, and is therefore on the backburner. But that's just my two cents. And mindmaster is still fun.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Rhys The Redeemed???? a 1/1 creature that can be taken out with ease?
Although, I will have to add one or two or three to my elf deck...... it has some amazing abilities that could be used very quickly....

I don't think the new cards are all heads and shoulders above the older cards, but the real good ones do seem to be more......... I'm going to make up a word here to illustrate my point........

Synergetic

And then I find out it is a real word...... ugh.......

Anyhoot....

Melkor

I definitely don't think Rhys the Redeemed is very powerful at all, I might go so far as to say it is a bad rare.