Scourge wish list

N

Nightstalkers

I foresee hundreds of morph mayhem decks in the ever imposing future.

I

Istanbul

Which would make it a good idea to stock up on Pyroclasms and Infests. :)

But nah...he's a cute trick for Limited, but I dunno if he's cute enough to make blue a more playable color in ONS block limited. Still, Scornful Egotist + Erratic Explosion would be funny as hell.

As for Constructed, all I can think of is how stupid he truly is. At least make him fly. Sheesh.

S

Skyrider

I don't forsee that many. Personally everyone, I have to say I'm rather dissapointed with scourge so far. I'm debating whether or not to even buy a booster from the set. The whole size matters thing is an interesting idea but because the whole set has insanely high casting costs it's not worth the money. I play casual games with people that have Type 1 illegal decks. There's no way I'd be able to play half of these cards in any of those games. It's like asking to be taken out of the game on turn 4.

I've got a morph deck right now based off of dream chisels, weaver of lies, ixidor, and heartstones. The only way it's anywhere near playable is because it gets a lot of creatures on the table fast and makes people weary of attacking me. Unless everyone starts running ixidor in all their decks I still can't see moph getting played much, especially not in any tournament format.

N

Nightstalkers

good point there... I'll have to see the complete spoiler before I decide

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Skyrider
I play casual games with people that have Type 1 illegal decks. There's no way I'd be able to play half of these cards in any of those games. It's like asking to be taken out of the game on turn 4.
I do as well, although mainly multi-player, and there are a ton of cards in this set that I'm dying to get my hands on for casual power. I'm not sure why you say this.

N

Nightstalkers

Rich bastards that buy up all theyr 10 black lotus!

I'm still hating the fact that when I borrow a body and play at a tournament all of the guys that had just baughten two or three boxes of cards win. what a waste of time.

T

train

I'm not sure why you say this. - MM
I think Skyrider was talking more along the lines of speed MM... it seems that if they're running type 1 illegal decks, and he is running a fast deck to stave off early death, that with running a lot of high cc items, he could basically tie his own hands and places himself in front of the guillotine.:)

S

Skyrider

bingo! When you're facing a blue artifact deck that pacifies you, counters you and scrolls you to death, an angel deck with akroma, exhaulted, Reya, and moxes, and an infinite squirrel deck with rancors in it, you've gotta get things out quick or you might as well scoop and save them the trouble of killing you. Especially when all you have is cards from the onslaught and legions sets.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Especially when all you have is cards from the onslaught and legions sets
You're playing against Type 1 decks with only Onslaught/Legions cards? You're pretty brave... I might be able to send you some commons/a few uncommons from previous sets....

E

EricBess

Quite frankly, if you're playing is an evironment that allows any Magic card ever printed, how can you possibly say you are "dissapointed" with a set because there aren't many cards that you can use in that environment.

If the card pool you have to select from is small (T2, block, or even extended), there are a lot of new ideas and a lot of new things you can build decks around. It's really a cool set if you look at it deeper and I love the way they've balanced the bigger things with better ways to get more resources and still kept the overall balance of the cards.

Face it, if you can select from any card ever printed, the odds that a new card will be useful is slim because it has to compete with a lot of cards that are already established.

Besides, I've been observing trends in Magic for a long time (not the cards - the players), and to be perfectly honest, nearly every Magic player out there likes to complain the the new set is terrible. There are a few innovators that build something new and suddenly, certain cards are very useful. But it takes the innovators to point it out to them first. Of course, none of these people would ever admit that they did this.

T

train

I'd admit it...

i'm actually thinking of "sliding" the Upwelling right now...

S

Skyrider

I never said I thought scourge is terrible, nor was I complaining about the Onslaught block. I think it's had a lot of really cool new ideas and I've had fun building decks around them. I'm just wondering how many of the scourge cards will fit my playing style and I'm not sure how much I want to invest in actually buying the cards. I don't want to waste a bunch of money on a bunch of cards I won't use. And in the same respect, I may find cards that I really like using.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you can, get Apprentice which will allow you to play with any card. You can build decks and see which ones work for you and what you would get in real life.

E

EricBess

That is a much more valid argument. It's all about fun and if you don't find playing with certain cards fun, then why spend money on them?

Personally, I'm looking forward to using a few cards. That insect that untaps creatures by returning an elf (Symbiotic something) can have a lot of uses. I'm thinking Fierce Empath / Krosan Tusker / Elvish Abomination (is that the right name?)

E

EricBess

In the prerelease, you need the Empath to make him worth while and the untap ability isn't as cool as it could be with the right cards. Now, think constructed with R/G playing the above mentioned cards and dragons, including the Aplify dragon (Kilnmouth Dragon? - or is that the morph one?).

Early game - he helps get mana and (with the help of Empath) dragons. Late game, he helps untap the kill card.