Scattegories Scoring...

B

BigBlue

Hopefully no one here feels it is "their" fault... it is simply a game that does not port to a longer time period... It isn't cool to look up answers - but we all know that happens from time to time - even EricBess admitted to looking up Internal Illiac...

Besides it is still fun... at least I think so. I simply feel that it wasn't an absolute success... My next experiment would be AcroPhobia. Balderdash was fun except for the ability of cheating easilly - and therefore the disincentive to actually put the correct answer in favor of getting to put forth an answer to collect votes which generally earned more than the right answer did - especially since you could make back one of those points by voting for the correct answer...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with EricBess and how we've played in real life. Especially with the timer ticking away, there's no way anyone would have gotten around 4 pts per answer; even 2 or 3 are tough.

However, the Internet is a great equalizer and since everyone has access to it, there's no reason not to look things up. It really just becomes a race to see who gets the most points first though as answers should be wide and varied.

I could run Balderdash again but like you said, the Internet lookup is always a downer, plus it's hard to get people to do both "rounds" of submitting a question and then voting. I like Tribond much better :)

Actually, I was thinking of running ShipWreck if it's okay with EricBess and he could PM me any extra rules or tips I need to be aware about as gamemaster :)

E

EricBess

Sure, I could do that...Do you want a list of the cards names also, or do you want to make those up?

B

BigBlue

The Four (not a Typo) answers I got... :(

Menu Item -
Rainforest Cafe's Rubenstein's Revenge - Train 3
Ravioli - Spiderman
Rockhampton Rib-Eye - Mikeymike 2
Ripe Red Raspberries - EricBess 3, where do you find those on a menu?

School Subject -
Raising Children to Resist Violence - Train 2 A college course...
Reading - Spiderman
Religious Studies - Mikeymike
Recess - EricBess (I majored in this in college, but it didn't lead to a degree.) :D

Ice Cream Flavor -
Rum Raisin - Train & Mikeymike
Raspberry - Spiderman
Rocky Road - EricBess 2 (apparently the obvious choice sometimes works)

Musical Instrument -
Round Rommel - Train (I don't believe a pan is musical - sorry)
Rhodes Piano - Spiderman
Rattle - Mikeymike (see Round Rommel - a rattle is not maracas)
Reed Flute - EricBess

Things that are Sticky -
Red Rope - Train 2
Raisins - Spiderman
Ross Rubber Cement - Mikeymike 2
Raccoon Roadkill - EricBess 2 (and I don't want to know about it)

Scores...

Train - 8 (1 bonus for on time)
Spiderman - 6 (1 bonus for on time)
Mikeymike - 6 (1 bonus for on time)
EricBess - 9

Cumulative Score:

EricBess - 39
Mikeymike - 36
Train - 35
TomB - 29
Spiderman - 20
Sagerider 15
Istanbul - 13
Azreal - 4
SeFro - 4

Really good answers could end this game this round...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I gotta protest/challenge EricBess's "Ripe" part of the Ripe Red Raspberries... it just sounds extra.

M

Mikeymike

Here's my rattle

Also, I share both BigBlue and Spidey's speculation on "Ripe Red Raspberries". I can't say I've ever seen raspberries as a menu item, but I also can't say it is the type of thing I'm looking for either.

Do you have a specific example?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's just the "Ripe" part I'm objecting to, unless we're sticking to our one adjective allowance (it's been so long, I've forgotten if we're allowing that or using the challenges).

P

porqueria

Two things in my defense (from Eric - this is my wife's account)

1. Red Raspberries are definitely a food item, which would put them on a menu (even if it is just as an add-on at a pancake house, for example). There is no question about Red Raspberries being a different item then just Raspberries, and "ripe" would likely be how they were advertised.
2. When I submitted this, I told BB that I wouldn't allow "Ripe" because it doesn't add any additional meaning. However, I also said that if this is what we were allowing... :D. If it comes to a vote, I also vote against it, but with the stipulation that we all need to be playing by the same rules and there have been far more questionable add-ons accepted :p

M

Mikeymike

A-ha, that's who porqueria is! Hello Mrs. Bess, welcome to the CPA. I always see you skulking around the boards ;)

1 - Sounds cool, I can buy that.
2 - This is BigBlue's call, as he stated
Therefore I will be discounting all adjectives from now on unless I really feel convinced that they belong...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Also welcome, Mrs. Bess.

I agree, after that whole adjective snafu, it was either stated that one would be allowed, in which case BigBlue would discount my challenge and I don't mind, or we would be using the challenges as player-policed the adjectives, which is what I'm doing. Like I said, I don't have a problem with "red", just the "ripe".

P

porqueria

Thanks, Eric, you've blown my cover. :cool:
Thanks guys---gee, it's like a family reunion! Note that you never saw me around until Eric started going on his trips.... Actually the only time I am "skulking" is when Eric is gone on some trip and I am supposed to submit answers and I get interrupted by something/someone and 2 days later I realize I still haven't submitted yet but I left it up to remind me. OOPS!!! One of the disadvantages of cable modems...it never gets closed unless you actually close it :D :D :D :D :D (my favorite smiley)
Anyway, I guess I'll be seeing you around some more.....or at least you'll be seeing me skulking/lurking in the background:D :D

B

BigBlue

I can tell you why I allowed the point...

Red Raspberries are a kind of Raspberry so I wasn't treating "red" as an adjective. Certainly Ripe is an adjective which is often attributed to Raspberries. And finally - it is a menu item - Ripe Red Raspberries being added to pancakes sounds more tantalizing than Red Raspberries... I was trying to be consistent with all adjectives. Another type of Raspberry is a Black Raspberry (which are related to but not blackberries).

But... It sounds to me like the players want it stricken, and it isn't even a close vote so I will deduct a point... In a real life game I don't know if someone would add Ripe or not and if they did I don't know how I'd deal with it.

Updated Cumulative scores...

Cumulative Score:

EricBess - 38
Mikeymike - 36
Train - 35
TomB - 29
Spiderman - 20
Sagerider 15
Istanbul - 13
Azreal - 4
SeFro - 4

And if you don't mind.... Where does "porqueria" come from?

T

train

Hi Mrs. Bess...

And Blue - not that I want a point - but just a note - pans are indeed used as instruments from time to time...

"Billy Bob's - Texas..."

P

porqueria

BB - It's Mexican.

And I agree with train. If you don't believe him, just ask my kids - Eric ;)

T

train

It's a game mike...

Let it go...

I struggled with it... but I let it go too...
:p

M

Mikeymike

I have detachment issues. I still haven't gotten over Melrose Place being cancelled :D

B

BigBlue

I missed the rattle link the first time... I guess I fixated on a baby's rattle...

I've never heard maracas being called a flat out rattle...

As for the Pan - sure a kid thinks of it as an instrument... I guess I could allow it - and since EB agreed with you then it is 2 votes for... I'm trying to keep this game above board - because while this is the last game of it I'll be involved in, I've already passed judgements on people who have left the game and I want to stay consistent. I will allow Rattle given the link.. I don't know that I've been fully convinced of the pan as an instrument but I'll allow it. I will also leave Ripe off still though I feel that should have been allowed imho.

There will hopefully only be 1 more round anyways - this has drained me of desire to admin games for awhile - not to mention that I am almost as busy as everyone else anymore.

Re-Amended scores -

EricBess - 38
Mikeymike - 37
Train - 37
TomB - 29
Spiderman - 20
Sagerider 15
Istanbul - 13
Azreal - 4
SeFro - 4