RPG, Chapter One: A Day at the Fair.

Melkor

"Foul Undead within the Village? How could this happen?"

I jump up off the barrel I had previously been sitting on and unsheath my sword. Locate the closest undead monster and attempt to slice off its twisted skull with my long sword.

E

EricBess

Seeing plenty of people to deal with the threat, I instead turn my attention to making sure that the spectators and dancers are safe. I pay particular attention to the dancers, trying to find Sharl among them. My weapon is ready and any beast that gets too close to an innocent bystander will have to deal with me as well.

R

Rando

To all players -
You wade into the fray with a few village guardsmen at your side. The skeletons pay no attention to you unless you directly attack them, and they instead concentrate on killing and chasing inocent townsfolk.

Blades whirl and magical bolts fly, screams and battle-crys alike fill the air. When it's all over with, you see that there were 20 of the undead all together, and they managed to kill 3 guardsmen and 15 townsfolk, and wouding several others.

During the coarse of the battle, Jonan was hit with a spiked mace in the leg, and Dorgath suffered a sword wound to the shoulder. Other then that, the skeletons were not a great threat...at least not to heros such as yourselves.

When all is calm again, families come out to mourn and collect the dead, and a priest is summoned to say a prayer.

Examining the skeletons, you see that on thier forheadsis carved the symbol of a fork's tongs, a military fork.

To Gorn -
While looking about at the devistation, you see a strange man far back in the crowd. He is in red and black robes and carries a book clutched next to his chest. When he sees that you have seen him, he bolts for the fair grounds.

B

Bob

Bob sat down on a tree stump to ponder things.

Why had the skeletons attacked in broad daylight? The sun usually weakens undead...

Bob got to his feet and walked over to Dorgath and Jonan.

"Care to be healed?"

Bob took out some healing balm from his robes.

Melkor

"Tis but a scratch. However, I will certainly accept whatever aid you care to provide. Tis true that skeletons won't usually go about their dastardly business in broad daylight and disguised and armed as these were is most unusual. As is the matter of this mark on the skulls. Me thinks that there is something larger going on, this was too well coordinated to be just a mindless attack."

P

Prince RXI

RXI's 3 hawks wink out of existence.

To All Heros-
"Well, it seems that thoughs damn undeads have finaly decided to have me dig them a real grave. I can hardly wait to be back in action, what about you 2, Deyja and Dorgath? I think we have a very powerful Necromancer on our hands this time, not just a busboy."

RXI casts heal moderate wounds on Anyia.

To Anyia-
"Feel up to a new challenge, girl? Good. We might need your nose for tracking soon."

B

Bob

Bob smiles and hands the balm to Jonas.

"I'm an expert on undead. I have studied them for years. I must know my enemy. I have never encountered, or even heard of skeletons who were able to attack in daylight! Something truly is fishy here..."

Bob turns to the bones laying around, and nods his head. He takes out a flask of holy water, sprinkles it on the skeletons, and utters a burial blessing spell.

"That should prevent them from respawning. :)"

S

sageridder

"Perhapsssse they were not truly undead,But mearly animated.Did anyone SSssee a wizard,or conjorer?"
(I'm am scaning the crowd for a wizard or anyone that isn't reacting to this with a look of horror or grief.Especially anyone with a mark like the one on the skeletons heads.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Thanks Bob, if you can treat my shoulder, it is a bit of a nagging pain.

So does anyone recognize this symbol? Is it an established "cult" or something new?"

R

rkoelsch

"Good show!! Much Fun."

start unarming any dead just in case.

D

Daggertooth

I angrily berate myself for charging hastily into this battle. Actions like that in the swamps would have gotten me killed.

"I'm an expert on the dead, although not realy the undead. Only the Daiesthai and Necrolibban Clans of my people study extensivly on binding souls back into a body. Years of fighting with these have tought me a bit.

Those dead they used never feared the light. But this is different. I've never seen a dead without even a bit of flesh on it (assuming these are clean skeletons). And I've never seen that symbol."

E

EricBess

*** Everyone posting so fast... ;)

I bolt after the man as quickly as he can. Hopefully, I can at least get a good idea of where he ran off to.

P

Prince RXI

I jump on Aniya (she's a very big wolf) and follow Gorn. As I do this I tell Aniya to try and track this man that Gorn Ran after
***Tell me if it works***

S

sageridder

*** Note for all.Don't get upset if there are drag times,Rando posts from work.Real life will interfear somtimes.Second note just because you read someone is doing something don't assume you know about it.It would be way too much for rando to have to tell each in secret what they saw or knew ,could you imagine the pm's?Play in character,if your guy wasn't in a position to see and hear certian info play like you don't know.I would not normally use an example but we are way early in the game so here goes.Please no hard feelings just trying to make this work smoothly.Prince RxI other then dorgath you don't know anyone "if" you did see anything above the screaming,bloodletting,and healing during and after the battle.What did you see maybe you saw ericbess's guy running and that's maybe.You don't know if he's a good guy,heck he might not be .at best you might have seen him running,but not after who.And certianly there is no way the wolf could pick up an unfamialar trail through a carnival of people and animals.shoot you probally need a dice check to be sure the wolf isn't lapping blood and chewing bodies.Certianly not trying to pick on you.Every one must only act on the info thier character would have.I would certianly would have liked to have been able to followed ericbess's guy and help.But my guy didn't see it,The probale resulte would have been ,gorn turning to see a six foot three lizardman chaseing him and he would have attacked me.
play smart and play as your character.Again not picking on anyone and hopeing all will continue.If you have any doubt ask gorn he would stab the poop out of me because he is in character and would see me as an attacker.****

D

Daggertooth

I look at the skeletons closer to see if they can tell me anything else, perhaps clues of their origin. Race, Gender, Age before death, Age of the bones after they were removed from the body, and any other magical tampering that may have been involved. I even check to see if marrow is still inside the bones, that would be really wierd if it was gone....at least for me.

I then gather a skull and a few other skeletal artifacts and stack them with the skull on top, ribs and sturnum just under, and all others radiating outwards on the ground. I then draw blood from myself and use it to encircle the shrine with a holy symbol. I then neel down to pray to the Godess Kunrall, Queen of death, change, and finality, promising to her that I will hunt down and kill those who have betrayed her dead.

E

EricBess

*** Agree with sagerrider. It's not an easy task to not let your character in on something that you know. That's part of roleplaying. Remember, I'm a complete stranger at this point. After something like this happens, seeing a complete stranger take off bolting through a crowd of people might seem suspicious. I would think that it might be suspicious enough to follow up on, but definitely not to assume I had seen something. I think chasing me might be a natural thing, but telling the hawk to track the man I'm after really wouldn't be a natural assumption.

Melkor

***I definately agree with everything already said by sageridder and Ericbess and just wanted to further note that I got the impression that there was something of a time lag in these events as well. We would all still be fighting the skeletons while Gorn would be persuing this man***

"Perhaps it would be best to consult with the local town authorities. The mayor and particularly whoever organized this portion of the parade. There is still the matter of where the men who were supposed to dress up as the skeletons are located."

R

Rando

**Sorry guys. Been out sick for 3 days. Thought I was going to die. Well, not really, but it was a bad case of bronchitus and a sinus infection. Anyone wanna guess how many people said, "hey, hope it isn't anthrax!"**

To all players -
Just as the local priest apears on the scene, you see the gentleman known as Gorn, with out so much as a word, make a dash for the fair ground.

The priest mumbles a prayer, and then leans down to examine one of the skeletons. "By Crom! This mark on the creatures forehead! Do you not know what it is? It is the mark of Belial! Demon lord of Suffering and Slavery!"

To Gorn -
The man flees across the fair ground with you in pursuit. He barrels through a few merchants and guards caught unaware, knocking them to the ground.

The man crests a small hill with you closing in. He tumbles, and rolls down the hill. Papers fly up in the air as the man rights himself, picks up his large, dropped book, and makes it into the dark forest at the bottom of the hill. Where he fell there are several papers and somekind of jewelry.