Random cards, maybe...

D

DÛke

Troubled Study (2U)
Instant
Draw 3 cards. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Troubled Study is in your graveyard, discard a card.
There were days when he didn't leave his room...no one knows what he had found in those dusted tomes and scrolls. The one thing we know about him is that he tore down everything he has ever read in there, along with all the notes he had taken for all these years.

Whispers in the Wind (3U)
Sorcery
At the beginning of your next upkeep, draw 4 cards.
Subtle ears can hear that which to many is often commonplace.

Ancestral Marvel (1U)
Instant
Put the top 2 cards of your graveyard into your hand and remove all other cards in your graveyard from the game.

Blue Moon Ritual (1U)
Sorcery
Draw a card.
At the beginning of your first step next turn, add UU to your mana pool.

Camera Obsecura (4UUU)
Enchant Permanent
Enchanted Permanent becomes a copy of target permanent.

Copycat (2U)
Instant
Target creature becomes a copy of target creature until end of the turn.

Dreamland (X1UU)
Enchantment
When Dreamland comes into play, search your library for a creature card with total casting cost of X and remove it from the game.
All creatures you play are a copy of the creature removed by Dreamland when it came into play.

Spellcaster (2UU)
Creature - Spellcaster
When Spellcaster comes into play, you may remove a Blue instant or sorcery spell in your hand from the game. As long as that card is removed from the game, you may play it without paying its mana cost.
2/3

Psychic Breakdown (1U)
Sorcery
Target player may only untap 2 permanents on his or her next untap step.

Time Loss (3UU)
Sorcery
Choose untap step, upkeep step, draw step, main step, or combat step. target player skips all instances of that step on his or her next turn.

Fast Forward (2UU)
Instant
End the current step. (Remove all spells and abilities on the stack from the game, including this card. If it is the cleanup step, the player whose turn it is discards down to his or her maximum hand size. Damage wears off and effects end.)

Cosmic Parallel (1UU)
Sorcery
If you control less permanents in play than your opponent, take an extra turn after this one.

Otherwordly Knowledge (U)
Instant
Remove 2 permanents you control from the game and draw 2 cards.
Sometimes what we want overcomes what we need.

N

Notepad

Troubled Study (2U)
Instant
Draw 3 cards. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Troubled Study is in your graveyard, discard a card.
Holy snickets, man! I'm not liking the card so much, but I totally enjoy the mechanic! Imagine, a new mechanic that gives you a good spell, maybe a bit undercosted, but has a negative effect once its in the graveyard.

Here's a varied example. Not an actual card I'm suggesting, just an example to show how the mechanic can be harnessed to fit other colors:

Everybody Dies (B)
Instant
Target opponent sacrifices a creature. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Everybody Dies is in your graveyard, sacrifice a creature.
Or imagine:

Cinder Runner (2R)
Creature--Lizard
Haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Cinder Runner is in your graveyard, it deals 1 damage to you and each creature you control.
4/1

I hope very much we can use this punishment mechanic in the CPA set. Even if only one or a handful of cards. This mechanic can be truly fun, I think. Perhaps best left to the rare or uncommon slot, for the sheer power reasons of the cards if this mechanic is utilized correctly.

D

DÛke

Nah...

I don't think any mechanics should go into the set. I mean, we could utilize something, yes, but we shouldn't make a mechanic out of it for one good reason: this is a casual set with hopefully some creative minds backing it up. We're creative enough to make a mechanic per card...and make it really interesting. We shouldn't just create a version of Dark Banishing, Disenchant, Shock...etc...with new mechanics attached to them, you know what I mean?

Mechanic = Laziness.

:)

N

Notepad

Originally posted by DÛke
Nah...Mechanic = Laziness.
*rubs chin a bit* *thinking...* *thinking...*

Reluctantly, I have to agree with ya. Yeah, mechanics get real lazy. It would be real fun to do something more along the lines of the very first sets--No overall mechanics! Just a lot of cool effects and a lot of top-down designed cards.

Doesn't mean that mechanics can't be harnessed in-flavor with stuff, though. Just for single-card things that fit. Your blue spell there makes sense. Basically, yeah, I totally agree with the "mechanic per card" idea.

I hope we can discuss all this during the brainstorming phase. :D So many cool ideas....so much fun to have! Heh! I can't wait til the project gets rolling.

D

DÛke

Oh, harnessing a "mechanic" in flavor with stuff is great! What I like is having a set in which the cards have a lot of synergy to the point where they seem they play off of each other, and yet each card still has its own stand-alone value and worth that it can be played regularly.

Synergy. I love it.

D

DÛke

More randomness...

Trinx (2)
Artifact Creature
Whenever Trinx is destroyed, regenerate it.
0/1

Spiritual Awakening (3BBB)
Instant
Until end of the turn, you don't lose the game as the result of having 0 or less life. At the end of the turn, if you have 0 or less life, your life total becomes 5.

Signs and Wonders (1U)
Sorcery
Draw a card. At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have no cards in your hand and Signs and Wonders is in your graveyard, return Signs and Wonders to your hand.

G

Gizmo

The mechanic of the graveyard upkeep is really nice, although I think the card drawing one there is a poor example as it plays into the hands of combo decks too much, and offers too much of an advantage if you've got something like a Psychatog sitting around.

I also disagree that including card mechanics make for lazy design, I think it's quite the opposite - they provide a structure for designers to be creative and explore mechanics in different ways, and actively encourage you to think of ways of using the mechanic. You might think of a neat effect and then make that card and move on... but the more challenging thing is to then go on to try and extend that effect to other cards and yet retaining balance of powers.

Cycles of cards I think are always fascinating as you get to see how the mechanic changes as it is applied to each color's strengths and weaknesses.

D

DÛke

Cycles and mechanics are such complete different subjects, they can't even be compared.

Mechanics are things that extend to any of the appropriate card type(s): flying is as much of a mechanic as it is an "ability," for example. Cycling is another example of a mechanic. As you can see, they in no way relate or are connected to cycles. Cycles are cards similar in many ways, like the Legendary Dragons in Champions of Kamigawa. They are all 5/5 creatures with flying and they all have the same trigger. However, in no way do any of them utilize what is commonly known as a "mechanic." That said, cycles can include mechanics. But they don't depend on each other in anyway.

I for one am not against cycles as much as I am against mechanics. I feel that a good set would offer cards that are good side by side but are not good because of the same common thread.

Let's take a quick example of cards that are great together, great and interesting on their own, but have no real "mechanics" that bind them and restrict them:

Exampler One (2BB)
Creature - Exampler
Pay half your life, rounded up: ~ gains +X/+X where X is the amount of life paid this way.
3/3

Exampler Two (4BB)
Instant
This turn, whenever you lose life or are dealt damage, target player loses that much life.

Two cards, each interesting and playable on their own, but...are great together.

Besides, I'm not really against mechanics, to be honest. If we are going to make mechanics, I'm all for it. The only thing I want is for the set not too be bogged down with 4 or 5 mechanics instead of focusing on 2 or 3...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Besides, I'm not really against mechanics, to be honest. If we are going to make mechanics, I'm all for it. The only thing I want is for the set not too be bogged down with 4 or 5 mechanics instead of focusing on 2 or 3...
I think this is an important distinction...

C

Captain Caveman

I also like your new Mech. I have one similiar to it in my Homemade set. Below are a couple of samples of how I went with the idea. It uses magic staples as a foundation.

Card Title: Glyph of Destruction
Color: Red
Type: Sorcery
Cost: 1RR
Pow/Tgh: N/A
Card Text: Destroy target land.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Glyph of Destruction is in
your graveyard you may pay 1 and remove it from the game.
If you do, draw a card.

Card Title: Glyph of Denial
Color: Blue
Type: Instant
Cost: 1UU
Pow/Tgh: N/A
Card Text: Counter target spell
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Glyph of Denial is in
your graveyard you may pay 1 and remove it from the game.
If you do, draw a card.

I like the way it turned out and it also allows each color to have a Glyph.

Maybe between you ideas and these we can work them into the new CPA set.(yours, mine or a combination of the two)

:D

D

DÛke

Hold on.

The cards here are in no way intended for the CPA set, nor have I included any "mechanics" in here. These are just...random ideas. The "mechanic" I obviously seem to have spawned here is just one of so many ideas...it's nothing special. But in any case...my "mechanic" is not restricted to drawing cards at all...

Unending Nightmare (2B)
Sorcery
Target player discards a card at random. At the beginning of your upkeep, if that player has a card in his or her hand, return Unending Nightmare back to your hand.

Thickened Atmopshere (1GG)
Instant
Creatures deal no combat damage this turn. At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control no creatures, return Thickened Atmopshere to your hand.

Cursed in Hell (2BBB)
Sorcery
Each player loses half of his or her life, rounded up. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Cursed in Hell is in your graveyard, you lose half your life, rounded up.

Psychic Assassination (1U)
Sorcery
Tap target creature. It doesn't untap durin its controller's next untap step. At the beginning of your upkeep, if the creature first targeted by Psychic Assassination is in play, return Psychic Assassination to your hand.

Lose Focus (2UU)
Instant
Counter target spell. Whenever your opponent plays 3 or more spells in a turn, return Lose Focus back to your hand.

Death's Claim (3BB)
Instant
Destroy target creature. At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are creatures in play, return Death's Claim to your hand.

D

DÛke

Now Versus Tomorrow (3U)
Instant
Draw 4 cards. At the beginning of your upkeep, if Now Versus Tomorrow is in your graveyard, skip your draw step and instead draw a card during your opponent's draw step.

Reinvention of Reality (3UUU)
Sorcery
Sacrifice any number of untapped permanents. For each permanent sacrificed this way, search your library for a permanent of the same type and put into play, then shuffle your library.

Replacement Factor (3U)
Instant
Sacrifice any number of non-land permanents. Search your library for a copy of each of the sacrificed permanents and put them into play, then shuffle your library.

Before the End (4UUU)
Instant
Untap all permanents you control.
Remove Before the End from the game. Search your graveyard, library and hand for all copies of Before the end and remove them from the game, then shuffle your library.

Political Flattery (U)
Instant
Target player other than you draws 7 cards. You draw a card.

D

DÛke

Fight the Future (W)
Instant
Target player may only play 1 spell during this turn.

Akani the Future Fighter (2UU)
Legendary Creature - Human Politician
UU, remove any number of cards on top of your library from the game: counter target spell that has a total casting cost equal to the number of cards removed when activating this ability.
1/2

Deny the Future (UU)
Instant
Counter target spell. Remove cards from the top of your library from the game equal to that spells total casting cost (X in that spell is 0). That spells caster removes cards from the top of his or her library from the game equal to that spells total casting cost (X in that spell is 0).

Akani's Word (3U)
Instant
Draw cards equal to the number of spells your opponent played this turn. That player removes cards from the top of his or her library from the game for each spell he or she played this turn.

D

DÛke

See Through the Shrouds (3BB)
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand and choose a card there. That player discards that card. Then that player loses 1 life for each card in his or her hand.

Immortality (3WW)
Enchant Creature
Immortality is indestructible.
Enchanted creature is indestructible.

Material Consquence (5BB)
Sorcery
Target player loses 1 life for each permanent he or she controls.

Unspeakable Visions (1B)
Instant
Search your library for a non-land card and remove it from the game. Until end of the turn, you may play that card as though it was in your hand. If you do, you lose life equal to its total casting cost.

Nihilism (3UU)
Instant
Each player returns 3 permanents he or she controls back to owner's hand.

D

DÛke

False Scripture (2)
Legendary Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have no cards in your hand, draw a card.

Psychic Overpower (1U)
Instant
Counter target spell unless its caster pays 1 for each card in your hand.

Delve in Tomorrow (XU)
Instant
Remove the top X cards on the top of your library from the game. Until end of the turn, you may play those cards as if they were in your hand.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Psychic Overpower (1U)
Instant
Hmm, Scent of Brine was pretty awful. This looks relatively balanced but I'm wondering if if might be too good in control...

D

DÛke

Not better than Counterspell, that's for sure, though easily better than Mana Leak, which is scary. I think Mana Leak is rather powerful, so actually I don't like how Psychic Overpower is easily more powerful.

Psychic Overpower (UU)
Instant

This perhaps can be the best thing to do for this card, at this time anyway, as I tend to like counter cards to cost either 2 or 4; for some reason I'm not fond of 3-costing counters. This card is too weak to cost 4, but too strong to be easily splashed, so UU it is.

Dominion (1UU)
Sorcery
Gain control of target creature whose total casting cost is equal to or less than the number of cards in your hand.

Shutdown (3U)
Instant
For each card in your hand, tap target artifact, creature, or land. Permanents tapped this way don’t untap during their controller’s next untap step.

False Promises (1U)
Sorcery
Target player other than you removes from the game the top 7 cards of his or her library. Until the end of that player’s next turn, he or she may play those cards as if they were in his or her hand.

Will to Power (3UU)
Instant
For each card in your hand, untap and gain control of target artifact, creature, or land until end of the turn.

Divine Works (1WW)
Instant
Until end of the turn, all permanents are indestructible.
Prophets and visionaries, poets and philosophers, all wrote regarding the unseen world and the divine works of God, but today such mysteries have been unraveled and science itself is capable of everything ‘divine.’

Antipolitic (2B)
Sorcery
For each card in target player's hand, that player loses 1 life.

Great Flood (1UU)
Sorcery
Return 2 target lands to owner's hand.

Protest Control (2U)
Instant
Return all creatures with power 1 or less to owner's hand.

D

DÛke

Hour of Waking (2BB)
Sorcery
Each player discards all cards in his or her hand.

Ongoing Plans (2UU)
Sorcery
If you have no cards in your hand, draw 4 cards. Otherwise, draw 2 cards.

Conflict of Ideals (2R)
Sorcery
For each card in each player's hand, Conflict of Ideals deals 1 damage to that player.

Turn Within (U)
Instant
Remove all cards in your hand from the game. At the end of the turn, return all cards removed this way back into your hand and draw a card.

Extended Moment (3U)
Sorcery
Take an extra turn after this one. You can't play more than 1 spell during your next turn.

Visionary Ritual (B)
Instant
Discard any number of swamps. For each swamp discarded this way, add BB to your mana pool.

Visionary Fever (R)
Instant
Discard any number of mountains. For each mountain discarded this way, Visionary Fever deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

D

DÛke

Blaze of Fate (2RR)
Instant
Blaze of Fate deals 5 damage to target creature.
If Blaze of Fate would deals more damage to that creature than that creature's toughness, Blaze of Fate deals damage to that creature equal to that its toughness instead and deals X damage to that creature's controller where 5 minus the creature's toughness.

Patient Study (XU)
Enchantment
Patient Study comes into play with X study counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a study counter from Patient Study and draw a card.

Treacherous Angel (2BB)
Creature - Angel
Flying
When Treacherous Angel it put into the graveyard from play, any player may pay X. If a player does, you lose X life.
4/3

Rainreader (XG)
Creature - Elf Shaman
When Rainreader comes into play, you may return a non-land card with total mana cost of X or less from your graveyard to your hand.
1/1

Spirited Summoner (X2G)
Creature - Druid
Spirited Summoner comes into play with X call counters on it. When Spirited Summoner is put into the graveyard from play, put an Elemental token into play. Treat it as a green creature with power and toughness each equal to the number of call counters on Spirit Summoner.
2/2