Raksha Golden Cub

C

chocobo_cid

To say the least.

Pluses:

Cats you control.

+2/+2 (a better benefit than any warchiefs)

Double strike

Drawbacks:

Casting cost

Only when equipped

Legend

This is soo broken.

D

DeathMaster666

He is too unwieldy for anything outside of casual and limited, but I could see making a cat deck with him and Jareth.

N

Notepad

The casting cost is way too high. White has no easy mana producers, so this card is in bad turf to be used regularly. Though, in a Murphy's Laws sense, your opponents will always get it out on turn three somehow, but you'll never see so much as three lands out when this thing is in your hand.

M

mythosx

ha...i was discussing this card a while ago with my friend. it does have a good combo with it. Use it with firecat blitz and it sixtuples the damage. thats a game ender right there.

H

Homestar

its a good card and all but in if ur makin a cat deck than 9 times outta 10 its gonna be staright white. white doesnt have n e mana accelerators hardley so 7 mana is a lot for white. so its not as good as it sound. my opinion ne way. its in the eye of the beholder tho.............

M

mythosx

I dont think so homestar. Some of the best cats are green and red. If you were gonna make a serious cat deck. It would probably be red/white.

N

Notepad

I see Firecat Blitz and this little punk Kha to be not so good together. Heavy mana requirements of each color and red and white are both notorious for not having too good of mana acceleration.

D

DeathMaster666

Maybe as a 2-of in some sort of weenie R/W deck? Leonin Shikari comes to mind here.

M

mythosx

they arent good at mana accel but they do have little tricks. for example weathered wayfarer and seething song. Once you get the kha out you dont really need that much mana for the blitz. if you only get one cat out for 3 mana its like a ball lightning with out trample. anything beyond 2 is atrocious. if you swing with 4 its game.

N

Notepad

A somewhat good point, but relying on those cards seems way more problematic than the mana boosters found in Green or Black. They won't be casual wrecking balls, these WR cat decks, rather, just little oddities that will be cool to watch in the rare times they go off.

R

rkoelsch

Actually there are some cats in green so GW would be good and we know Green has mana acceleration.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Most of you guys are probably talking about Standard, but 3 color is definitely possible with us casual folks :) Although there's got to be some mana acceleration in Standard that white can use...

C

chocobo_cid

I am confused. What mono-white standard mana accel is there. I believe that there is some for green, even red, but I have no recollection of a white counterpart. Unless we're talking heavy with myrs, I am confused. Please explain. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of artifact mana; I'm not really playing Magic right now so not exactly sure what's out there in Mirrodin or 8th.

N

Notepad

Hmm, a GW cat deck with a splash of r for the firecats? Sounds like a casual silliness.

I am skeptical of the power of such a deck, but I have a little challenge for all of you...

One MTGO Skullclamp (non-foil) to whoever posts a good cat deck ARTICLE on this site involving this new Golden Cub. The deck must utilize the Kha in some meaningful way, and I don't care what color the deck is. Oh, and it must be a solid article with a rundown of the cards in the deck justified for strategic purposes. Doesn't have to be a "this is top tourney tech" but just a fun casual deck that is far from being a random assortment of cat cards and mana fixers. Only the first good deck article will get the Skullclamp. If the winner doesn't have an MTGO account: Tough cookies, and the prize will not be given out. Anybody up for the challenge?

How's that for inspiration?