New Card Ideas

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Broken means too powerful.
There are so many ways to nullify a flying creature,
and a creature with a toughness of 1 is generally very easy to kill.

I personally don't like phasing. I think it's messy but the card is okay.
Your other cards seem pretty decent.

"To make peace with the forest, make peace with me."
-Multani to Urza

L

linsivvi

I was thinking, which is something i do in my spare time, and I came up with another cool idea

Phyrexian Overlord
4BB
4/3
When Phyrexian Overlord comes into play, sacrifice two creatures. Phyrexian Overlord cannot be blocked exept by artifact creatures and black creatures.
BB, target creature gets -1-1 untill end of turn

Sameness
Artfiact
When Sameness comes into play, chose a color. All permenants are of the chosen color

Untouchable
instant
U
Untill end of turn, all your creatures are unblockable, connot be the target of spells or abilities, and prevent all damage that would be dealt to them
"What ya gonna do"

Enhancment
2W
Enchantment
W, all creatures get +1+1 untill end of turn
"If everyone gets better at the same time, should it make a difference"

SOme Name
Artifact
When some name comes into play, remove all permanents from the game. At the begenning of each players upkeep, that player may cast one spell for free, without it being countered by some name.
When ever a player plays a spell, counter it.

Well thats it for now, tell me what ya think

F

FoundationOfRancor

Dawn rider should be brought down B. Some of the new cards are pretty broken. Revise the overlord thing to say "Sac 2 creatures or sac this"

F

FoundationOfRancor

SOme Name
Artifact
When some name comes into play, remove all permanents from the game. At the begenning of each players upkeep, that player may cast one spell for free, without it being countered by some name.
When ever a player plays a spell, counter it.

Bad wording.

Card X 6
Artifact
When X comes into play remove all permants from the game.
Players can only play spells druing there turn and only one spell per turn.
Any spell can be played without paying its casting cost

This is better

L

linsivvi

More cards

Terrain Apperentice
artiface creature
Tap, add one colorless mana to your manna pool
Tap, Put target land from your hand into play

Sun apprentice
2W
tap, add one W to your mana pool
tap, target attacking creature deals no combot damge tis turn

Apprentice of Darkness
2B
tap addd one B to your mana pool
tap, target player discards a crd at random from his or her hand

i'll make the other color apprentices later

L

linsivvi

sorry, apprentice of darkness should say, tap discard a card at random, then target opponent discards a card at random

L

linsivvi

Denial
UU
instant
counter target spell
If you control and Island you may play Denial without paying its manna cost. If you do, search your library, hand and graveyard for all copies of denial and remove them from the game.

I

Istanbul

Untouchable is SOOOOOO broken.
Infiltrate is U, and makes ONE creature unblockable until end of turn.
So let's make all my creatures unblockable, AND untargetable, and etc etc? For the same price?

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I think Phyrexian Overlord is a card in the Urza's Block.
I could be mistaken but that name sounds soooo familiar...

-Multani to Urza

F

FoundationOfRancor

Heres what I think of some cards in cuasualties of war. I like the MM block, so I may be off on alot of these cards. Anyway, here they are.

Diabolic Dilemma
Uncommon
Sorcery
B
Target player may discard a card at random. If he or she does not, remove the top 6 cards of that player's library from the game.

-I think this is too strong and too splahsable. Either option is really good and it is cheap.

Obsidian Charm
Common
Instant
B
Choose one - Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn; or destroy target creature that was damaged this turn; or target player chooses and discards a card.

-Again, undercosted. Maybe BB or even BB1

Yawgmoth's Compromise
Rare
Enchantment
2BBB
Skip your draw step.
Pay 1 life: Draw a card. If you have 7 or more cards in your hand, counter this ability.
He craves only one commodity, but he'll take what he can get.

- I love it! A balanced bargain, amazing.

Azure Charm
Common
Instant
U
Choose one - Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1; or return target permanent you control to its owner's hand; or draw a card.

-Force spike does 1 of the options and costs the same.

Frizan Taunt
Common
Instant
U
Counter target spell. That spell's controller untaps a number of lands equal to it's converted mana cost.
- I feel a "and draw a card should be added here"

Savannah Chant
Common
Instant
G
As an additional cost to play Savannah chant, sacrifice a Plains or pay 2. Add GGG to your mana pool.

-The best card in the entire set I feel. Incredibly balanced and interesting.

Ball of Flame
Rare
Creature - Elemental
XRR
X/X
Haste, trample
At end of combat, sacrifice Ball of Flame.
-The potential to be unbeleavable broken. I suggest RRRX

Static Bubble
Rare
Artifact
When Static Bubble comes into play, tap all creatures; they don't untap during their controller's untap phase as long as Static Bubble is untapped.
3, T, Tap three untapped creatures you control: Return Static Bubble to its owner's hand.

-powerful in a creature less deck. add "play only if you have 2 cretes in play" ?

I also think the delay cards are a bit too strong. Take the stone rain 1 for example. You can destroy a land turn 2 for the same cost of a great card as stone rain. This beats out the original staple and the casting cost should be brought to 2 or give it another delay counter.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think thasts plauge lord. yup, plaugelord and not overlord.

F

FoundationOfRancor

These are deanean's ideas. I just pastred em over here in case he forgets. White
???, WWW
Enchantment, Rare
During your upkeep, sacrifice 2 lands, or bury ???
Reduce all damage dealt to you to 0.

???, WW
Sorcery, Rare
Remove target artifact from the game. It's controller gains life equal to it's converted mana cost.

Blue
???, 1U
1/1, Sorcerer, Common
U, tap: Tap target creature

???, 1U
1/1, Sorcerer, Common
U, tap: Tap target Artifact.

???, 1U
1/1, Sorcerer, Common
U, tap: Tap target Land

???, UU
1/1, Merfolk, Uncommon
tap, target creature cannot be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.

Krakken, 4UUU
9/9, Legendary Monster, Rare
Krakken doesn't untap during your untap phase.
To untap Krakken, sacrifice a land.
Play this ability only during you upkeep.

Triton, 3UU
3/3, Legendary Merfolk, Rare
tap: Triton deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
All Merfolk gain +1/+1

Black
???, B
2/2, Imp, Uncommon
Flying
When ??? comes into play, discard a card at random.

Cerebus, 3BB
5/3, Legendary Beast, Rare
Cerebus may only be blocked by three or more creatures
Cerebus may block up to three creatures.

Medusa, 3BB
3/3, Legend, Rare
2B, tap: Destroy target attacking or blocking creature.

Traitorous Priest, 1B
2/2, Cleric, Uncommon
When Traitorous Priest comes into play, choose a player. That player gains control of Traitorous Priest.
Whenever Traitorous Priest becomes tapped, target opponent gains 2 life.

Red
Terk, Mogg Chieftan, 3RR
3/3, Goblin Legend, rare
When Terk, Mogg Chieftan comes into play, you may search your library for up to two goblins and put them into play. If either of the goblins put into play this way has a converted mana cost above 3, sacrifice them at the end of your turn.

Ancient Wyrm, 4RRR
5/5, Dragon, Rare
Flying
1RR, Ancient Wyrm deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

???, 2RR
Sorcerery, Uncommon
Until the end of turn, any player may sacrifice a land to bury target land.

Initiate of the Flames, 1R
1/1 Sorcerer, common
tap, Initiate of the flames deals 1 damage to target creature and 1 damage to itself.
RR: Initiate of the Flames gains Protection from Red until the end of turn.

Priest of the Flames, 2R
1/2, Sorcerer, uncommon
R, tap: Priest of the Flames deals 2 damage to target creature or player, and 2 damage to itself.
RR: Priest of the Flames gains Portection from Red until the end of turn.

Green
Llanowar Captian, GG
1/1, Elf, Uncommon
Whenever a green creature comes into play, you may pay G to draw a card.

I have more that I will post later if anyone wants them.
Lo that they do Call to Me.
They bid me take my place among them,
In the Halls of Valhalla, where the Brave may Live Forever.

A

Almindhra

I was thinking about the card set we're putting together...And I know this is a stretch, but...

Could we make a story line?

I think it would be really neato if we could put ourselves in some kind of stary and tie it in with the cards...And I know thats even more work than what you already have...

Just an idea

C

Chaos Turtle

I believe that this sets a new record for the number of broken cards posted in one day!

Good lord.

I'll see what I can salvage.

Rancor, thanks for your input.
I had planned on the charms being just like the Mirage/Visions charms (three spells combined into one, using the same costs as the originals). The idea being to bring 3 spells not-too-often played into one card, increasing the likelihood that it they be used in that form.
Azure Charm is Force Spike + Unsummon + Whispers of the Muse (sans buyback) for example.
The statement has been made that this is undercosted, based upon the fact that Force Spike is not a particularly bad card. I may be inclined to agree, but I'd like more input. Increasing the costs of all the charms is an option, as is changing the cards represented.
I will raise Diablolic Dilemma to 1B.

I am looking for a new name for Yawgmoth's Compromise, to avoid trademark infringement difficulties, and to keep known Magic names out of the storyline.

which bring me to...

Yes, Almindhra, I am working on a basic storyline, which I'll present a little after the beta (test) version of the patch is released. At that time, input will be solicited. The reason I'm not asking right now for input is to avoid the inevitable chaos that would result.

Thanks y'all.
edited to fix an errant vB tag...you should've seen the mess...)

[Edited by Chaos Turtle on May 8th, 2000 at 02:05 AM]

C

Chaos Turtle

Everyone, please post cards here only if you think they ought to be included in this set.

Try ahead of time to make sure the card is reasonably balanced. It certainly should have a name, type, and mana cost already, not to mention text.
It does not have to be perfect, as I and the group will see to any fine-tuning needed to make the card balanced and (hopefully) fun.

Additional guidelines:

Cards with WotC-trademarked names will have their names changed (yes, including Yawgmoth's Compromise, as much as I love that name).
Previous "block abilities" (phasing, fading, shadow, flanking, etc) will not be used in this set for reasons that shouldn't be too hard to figure out. If you have a card in mind that you think must use one of these abilities, try to word it in an original way that mimics the ability without duplicating it.

Still looking for a cool, playable "block ability" or two of our own.

I appreciate everyone's input so far! This set is nearly ready for testing. Keep'em coming!

D

Daenen

When I was at the Dojo, I came up with the idea of a Magic: the Gathering set based around our own Ancient Civilizations. The three sets would be as such:

1) Ancient Civilazations (Dominarian Equivilant of Greece, Rome, Egypt, etc.)

2) The Frozen North & the Far East (China for White and Blue, and the Celts and Norse for Green, Black and Red)

3) The Dawning of a New Age (Instead of the Coming of Christ, we have the Coming of Serra, Gaea, Phyrexia, etc.)

This set could even be set into WotC's story line:

1) This Set
2) Urza's Saga
3) Ice Age
4) Mirage
5) Rath Cycle
6) Mercadian Masques

(I think that Invasion takes place after Urza's Saga, and the aftermath of the War results in the Ice Age. We all know what happens after that).

I

Istanbul

BLOCK ABILITY:

Postpone X
When a card with Postpone is in your hand, you may pay X to put that card on the bottom of your library and draw a card.

EXAMPLE:

Disperse 1W
Instant
Postpone 1
Destroy target enchantment.

Now, on to the cards.

Urza, and other planeswalkers, should never be made. A planeswalker is a character that draws mana from land and such; the idea is that YOU'RE a planeswalker.

Multani's Sanctuary
Legendary Land
Tap: Add GG to your mana pool.
1GG: Target creature can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.

- Close. Make it tap to make a creature untargetable, and it's good.

Multani's Blessing 3GG
Instant
Target creature gets +5/+5 and trample until end of turn.

- Acceptable in its current format. You COULD also consider cutting its casting cost by 2 and burying the creature at the end of the turn.

Maro Apprentice 2G
Creature - Wizard
1/2
Tap, 3GG, Sacrifice a forest: Target creature gets +3/+3.

- ...until end of turn? Or are we paying five mana and saccing a forest for a Giant Growth?

Angry Fires R
Instant
Angry Fires deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
You may remove 2 lands from the game instead of paying Angry Fires' casting cost.

- Okay. You COULD make it 1R and keep it in its current form. Or you could keep the casting cost and make sacrificing a Mountain an additional cost.

Mox Prism 0
Artifact
Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Whenever you play a basic land, sacrifice Mox Prism.

- Tempting. A variant on Mox Diamond. Still, I'm convinced that it's more powerful, and easy to keep in play. FAR too easy to play a basic land, then two of these, and have three easy mana sources on the first turn. Make it Legendary.

Time Meddler 3UU
Creature - ?
3/3
Flying
U: Remove Time Meddler from the game. At the beginning of your next upkeep, return Time Meddler to play under its owner's control.

- Not bad. A 3/3 flyer with a self-Flicker ability. A simpler way to word it would have been 'U: Phases out', but that's OK. :) Nothing wrong here. Also Treachery-proof, which is nice.

Dawn Rider 3BBB
Creature - ?
4/1
Flying
When Dawn Rider comes into play, bury all other creatures.

- Good god. A little recursion breaks this thing to hell and back. Wrath of God does *not* need to be a CIP ability on a creature. Broken at any casting cost...flying makes it worse.

Heavenly Angel WWWW
Creature - Angel
2/1
Heavenly Angel can't be the target of spells or abilities.
When Heavenly Angel is put into any graveyard from play, you may remove it from the game. If you do, the player with the highest life total wins.

- Ooooookay. First of all, again, broken at any CC. Angels should fly, too. All you have to do is use things like Jasmine Seer to gain life superiority, and find a way to get rid of this, and win. Also easy to win with fast beatdown.

Desperate Measures R
Enchantment
RRR, Tap, Sacrifice Desperate Measures: The game is a draw.

- How do you tap an enchantment? And why on earth would you want to get a draw? This seems like a 'nyeah nyeah' card to me, and not one that should be printed.

Frutatious Valley G
Enchantment
Pay 3 life: Add GG to your mana pool.

- Okay. Turn 1, Forest, Frutatious Valley. I'll pay 12 life to put add 8 green mana to my pool. I'll play Skyshroud Behemoth, and Rancor on it. You'll be dying in two turns. I've said it before and I'll say it again. ANY CARD THAT LETS YOU PAY LIFE FOR A RESOURCE IS BROKEN.

Phyrexian Overlord 4BB
Creature - ?
4/3
When Phyrexian Overlord comes into play, sacrifice two creatures.
Phyrexian Overlord can't be blocked except by black and artifact creatures.
BB: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.

- Overpowered, not undercosted. Anything more expensive is prohibitive, but...4BB for a 4/3 that comes with Fear, at the cost of 2 creatures, is decent. But give it a Phyrexian Plaguelord ability without having to pitch creatures? Ouch!

Sameness 3
Artifact
When Sameness comes into play, choose a color.
All permanents are of the chosen color.

- Cute, but...why? I can't see any real reason to play this card at all. It'd be one of those 'aw jeez, why'd I have to pull THIS' cards.

Untouchable U
Instant
Until end of turn, all of your creatures are unblockable, and can't be the target of spells or abilities, and prevent all damage dealt to them.

- INTENSELY overpowered. Compare to Infiltrate, which gets one of your creatures unblockable. Compare to Gaseous Form, which costs 1 more for *just* prevention, from *just* combat damage. This thing needs to be cut down to size very much badly.

Enhancement 2W
Enchantment
W: All creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn.

- Actually, I think this thing is pretty stable. Fairly equal all-round.

Some Name
Artifact
When Some Name comes into play, remove all permanents from the game.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player may cast one spell for free, without it being countered by Some Name.
Whenever a player plays a spell, counter it.

- My GOD, this thing is broken. OK, I'll be playing with Serra Avatars and Shivan Dragons and such, and all I need to do is get Some Name into play, and they're all free! Broken at any casting cost (which it lacks).

Terrain Apprentice 3
Artifact Creature
?/?
Tap: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
Tap: Put target land from your hand into play.

- Not a bad card, so long as its P/T is roughly 1/1. Both are nice abilities. Not broken by any stretch.

Sun Apprentice 2W
Creature - ?
?/?
Tap: Add W to your mana pool.
Tap: Target attacking creature deals no damage this turn.

- ...now, this guy, I have issues with. Even at 1/1, his second ability is pretty strong. Make it cost W to activate, and bump the CC up by 1.

Apprentice of Darkness 2B
Creature - ?
?/?
Tap: Add B to your mana pool.
Tap: Target player discards a card at random from his or her hand.

- WHOAH! Hold the phone! Let's reprint a less costly Hypnotic Spectre that doesn't need to inflict damage to cause a discard. Or...let's NOT! At the very least, make it so that you have to discard at random too.

Denial UU
Instant
Counter target spell.
If you control an Island, you may play Denial without paying its mana cost. If you do so, search your library, hand, and graveyard for all copies of Denial and remove it from the game.

- Actually, I kinda like this one. I doubt more than 2 would get used per deck, but it's pretty nice.

Diabolic Dilemma B
Sorcery
Target player may discard a card at random. If he or she does not, remove the top 6 cards of that player's library from the game.

- Yeesh. Half a Hymn, or I super-Mill you for 6? Should cost 1B. Still, not too terribly broken.

Obsidian Charm B
Instant
Choose one: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn, or destroy target creature that was damaged this turn, or target player chooses and discards a card.

- Not too broken. Remove the discard effect, substitute turning a land into a swamp permanently.

Yawgmoth's Compromise 2BBB
Enchantment
Skip your draw step.
Pay 1 life: Draw a card. If you have more than 7 cards in your hand, counter this ability.

- I only wish it was a fixed Bargain. When you're ready to go off, just pitch cards you don't need (anything but Will and Feast) to the Familiar to put mana in your pool, then draw more cards. All this does is limit the drawing to card chunks, instead of one long stream; you can still go off same turn.

Azure Charm U
Instant
Choose one: Counter target spell unless its caster pays an additional 1, or return target permanent you control to its owner's hand, or draw a card.

- Again, the first two are fine, but the last is a little dicey. Have it turn a land into an Island until end of turn.

Frizan Taunt U
Instant
Counter target spell. That spell's controller untaps a number of lands equal to its converted mana cost.

- I assume you mean 'that spell's caster'. :) Seriously though, I kinda like this one.

Savannah Chant G
Instant
As an additional cost to playing Savannah Chant, sacrifice a Plains or pay 2. Add GGG to your mana pool.

- Hmmmm. Not broken...but kinda neutered. If you're playing mono-green, you gain no real mana. If you're playing white, you can sacrifice a land instead? Blech. Now, if it was sacrifice a Plains or pay 1, that might be playable.

Ball of Flame XRR
Creature - Elemental
X/X
Haste, Trample
At end of combat, bury Ball of Flame.

- A little harsh. Like a living Fireball. Remove Trample, though, and it's no longer broken.

Static Bubble 3
Artifact
When Static Bubble comes into play, tap all creatures. They don't untap during their controller's untap phase as long as Static Bubble is untapped.
3, tap three creatures you control, Tap: Return Static Bubble to its owner's hand.

- Hmmmm. I could see this as an incredible way to stop Stompy or any other rush deck, and Rebels will hate it. Would make it into virtually any burn or counter deck. Morphling will love this card.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think artifice should be set as the block abilitie opf our set. Here it is in action:
Rain of Stone 2RR
Instant
Destroy target land
Artifice : 5 (YOu may pay 5 instead of this spells casting cost)

C

Captain Caveman

Chaos Turtle,

Is my "Recall" Block mech unworkable?

Recall 1: If a card with recall is in your graveyard, you
my pay its casting cost to return it your hand. Play this
ability only during your upkeep.

Recall 2: If this card is in play, under your control, you
my pay its casting cost to return it to your hand. Play
this ability only during your upkeep.

I'm still having trouble with the wording but I'm pretty
sure you get the idea.

Here are a few more card ideas:

Haunting Spirit
Uncommon
2B
Creature-Spirit
2/2
If you control any blue permanents ~this~ gains flying.
If you control any red permanents ~this~ gains haste.

Avenging Spirit
Uncommon
2W
Creature-Spirit
2/2
If you control any blue permanents ~this~ gains flying.
If you control any green permanents ~this~ gains trample.

Mystic Visionary
Rare
3U
Creature-Seer
0/3
3,Tap, Name a card: Target opponent chooses a card at
random from your hand. If he or she chooses the named
card, you may draw a card.

Accelerated Time
Rare
3UU
Sorcery
Each player puts the top seven cards from thier libaries
into their hand.
Then each player removes seven cards in their hand from
the game.

Thanx,
Caveman

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Isty- I don't want Multani's Blessing to have negative effects so I'm leaving it as is.

Chaos- Here are names for the "Better than Bolt."
Heatstorm
Burst of Anger
Hellstorm
Blanket of Flames
Sulfuric Rain
Hellfire
Acid Rain
Heat Wave

-Multani to Urza