Mission 1: The Prisoner

T

train

i guess I will take a laser pistol and leave the armor suit in the ship for now...

does the armor suit go over my jumpsuit if worn?... cna I just wear it all the time?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot about the food, so subtract a Sonic Grenade from my buy and with the extra 10 credits I already had, buy 32 days worth of Warrior Rations (that's 80 creds, right?)

"All right, slow down there. Everyone gets a pistol. Everyone ready?"

I look at the Skrath.

"Anything special we need to know about Planet Q-7? Like should we be going in a "back way" and avoid regular travel lanes?"

Do any of us know anything about Planet Q-7 other than what's in the other thread? From past experience or something?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Many questions to answer, so here goes:
BigBlue said:
If a Techie wants to work to improve the ship... How can I accomplish this? I figure that's the sort of thing my char lives for...
I'm still working this part out, but basically at some locations, your party will be able to buy raw materials, divided into three categories: Steel, Circuitry and Power Cells. You'll also need a Robotics Kit, which will contain instructions on how and what proportion of raw materials you need for upgrades to the ship or building robots. After that, it's a test of your technical skill to determine how long it takes to successfully complete the task.
What are our "roles" aboard ship? I'm obviously engineer... but do we have a weapon's officer, science officer, communications, etc? I read the ship description... we have 4 stations on the bridge I think (Captain?, Helmsman, Science/Communications, & Weapons) and one in the engine room... I will handle the engine room, though I'd really like science/comm when I can...
The roles are up to you guys. There are actually 8 useful places to be on the ship:
On the Bridge: Captain, Helmsman, Weapons, External Operations
In the Engine room: Propulsion/Power, Internal Operations
From the Armory: Laser Turret, Missile Chamber
There's also a console in the Medical Facility, but that's only relevant if someone gets injured.
So during space flight & battles, your characters can go wherever they want, although I would recommend always having someone at the helm and weapons.
Melkor said:
What is the language situation in this part of the galaxy is. Like the movies, everyone speaks english, or are there universal translators, or something else?
Every race has their own language, but can sometimes understand and speak others. I'll assume that English is the official language of Earth.
Humans - Speak English; Understand Thinker, Warrior, Rogue
Thinkers - Speak Thinker & English
Warrior - Speak Warrior & English; Understand Rogue
Rogue - Speak Rogue, Warrior, English & Hostile
Hostile - Speak Hostile; Understand Rogue
Hermit - Speak Hermit
So everyone on your crew can speak English more or less. In my quotes from Skrath, I tried to give the impression that English is not his first language. He knows the vocabulary, but doesn't conjugate verbs - sort of how I "speak" Spanish. So anyway, Rogues are the only ones who know the Hostile language and if you hear anyone speak in their native tongue, you'll need the right ears to interpret it correctly. I liken it to Star Wars - Han understood people like Greedo, Chewy and Jabba, but still spoke English and they knew what he was talking about.
train said:
does the armor suit go over my jumpsuit if worn?... cna I just wear it all the time?
No, your character can only wear one outfit at a time. If you REALLY want to layer your clothes, there will be a significant drop in your character's Agility, since it will be rather uncomfortable and hard to move.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Now, on with the story. I've updated everyone's character as far as what they own or is in their possession and here's what I have. If there's any discrepancies, let me know:

Spiderman: Warrior's Armor, Battle Axe, Laser Pistol, Backpack, 6 Grenades, 5 Sonic Grenades, 32 Warrior Rations, 0 Credits

BigBlue: Aqua Auit, Aquarian Tech Kit, Portable Communicator, Portable Console, Laser Pistol, Backpack, 40 Warrior Rations, 0 Credits

Oversoul: Aqua Suit, Aquarian Med Kit, 10 Grenades, Laser Pistol, Backpack, 50 Warrior Rations, 325 Credits

train: Rogue Jumpsuit, Rogue Blade, Laser Pistol, Backpack, 4 Sonic Grenades, 20 Warrior Rations, 658 Credits

Melkor: Flight Suit, Portable Laser Cannon, Laser Pistol, Portable Communicator, Backpack, 60 Warrior Rations, 800 Credits

Skrath (Non-player character): Rogue Jumpsuit, Rogue Blade, Laser Pistol, Backpack, 0 Credits

And here's the remaining items on the ship: 2 Laser Rifles, 1 Armored Suit (Rogue), 1 Radiation Suit (Thinker), 1 Space Suit (Human), 1 Standard Tech Kit, 1 Standard Med Kit, 1 Tow Cable (50m), 2 Magnetic Grippers, 8 Ship Missiles, 64 Credits (from BigBlue)
Also, I forgot to include this earlier, but your ship already has 100 Standard Meal Rations on board. It wouldn't last your entire crew the entire trip, but I'll dip into that fund if anyone individuals run out.

------------------------------------

No one knows anything special about Planet Q-7. The Hostiles consider it theirs, but it is heavily populated with Rogues and Hostiles. Skrath says that he and his brother have a home there, but Hostile patrols are constantly in orbit, tracking the visitors to the planet. It's not as heavily defended as the planets deep in their territory, but they're still cautious of visitors.

For now, I'm going to assume the following locations of crew members on the ship. Let me know if you want to move.
Spiderman - Captain's Seat
Melkor - Helm
train - Weapons
BigBlue - Engine Room
Oversoul - External Ops (on bridge)
Skrath is on the bridge, but not at any station

Melkor punches in the coordinates for Planet Q-7 and the ship takes off. It's a ten-day flight from here, but the time is passed as Skrath gives you information about the coordinates of the colony on Q-7 where his brother was taken. The Hostiles there accuse Rogues of many misdeeds and sometimes kidnap them. The colony is surrounded by a dense jungle and he suspects that the missing Rogues are taken to a secret location in the jungle, but doesn't know for sure since no one has ever returned after disappearing.

Your ship comes out of hyper-space at coordinates P-8. It appears as though Melkor made a slight miscalculation. Luckily, you did not land deeper in Hostile territory. There are no ships in the immediate vicinity. A few minor corrections and the ship is heading back in the right direction. It's another day's travel from here.

You reach Planet Q-7 and go into orbit. The ship moves into a position to scan the area around the coordinates that Skrath gave you, your sensors pick up an approaching vessel. It's a Hostile Patrol Shuttle. It is signaling for communication.

Message: Please state your name and your business in this area.

turgy22

Nothing Special
After 11 days travel, here's an update of your food supply:

Spiderman (eats 3 Warrior Rations/day or 6 Std. Rations/day): 0
BigBlue (eats 1.5 Warrior Rations/day or 3 Std. Rations/day): 23 Warrior
Oversoul (eats 1.5 Warrior Rations/day or 3 Std. Rations/day): 33 Warrior
Train (eats 1 Warrior Ration/day or 2 Std. Rations/day): 9 Warrior
Melkor (eats 2 Warrior Rations/day or 4 Std. Rations/day): 38 Warrior
Skrath (eats 1 Warrior ration/day or 2 Std. Rations/day): 0

Ship excess: 72 Std. Rations

Let me know if you want to change the amount of food you bought initially, as it seems to be going faster than anticipated. You should have enough to last this mission and may find more on it, but if not, you'll just need to go to a closer planet to restock.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, I didn't know I ate that much per day. In my initial buy, scratch a Grenade and another Sonic Grenade and use the money to buy Warrior Rations.

If Skrath has a home there, I'd like train to question him (if he feels more comfortable talking to his own kind) about the planet - culture, political situation, why the Hostiles are so aggressive towards the Rogues, how long it's been that way, do traders visit a lot, etc. I'd like this info before responding to the space transmission.

B

BigBlue

I need to know a bit of politics... we're freelancers, right? So, while the race is "hostile", they aren't hostile to us per se.... right? If we break someone out of their prison... then yeah, they'll start to have a bad feeling about us... but as of yet we don't have any sort of rep yet, right?

Melkor

Somebody get one of the Rogues in here to talk to these Hostiles. Hey Skrath, any reason they'd be looking for you, otherwise, you're the best one to talk to them, as you have the most knowledge of this planet and can hopefully think of some legitimate reason for us to be here. If they search cargo ships, then trading is no good.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think a Rogue is the best bet to talk to them as they seem pretty "hostile" to that race... kidnapping, trumped up charges, all of that. So either a Thinker or myself might be the better choice.

Depending on more info, I was thinking posing as a trader (which does no good if they do search and don't find any goods), maybe a lost ship, or a sight-seeing tour :)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Spidey, I made the changes. You now have 49 Warrior Rations.

The planet is controlled by the Hostile government. This means that they consider it their own, protect it and enforce the laws, as well as use its natural resources to strengthen themselves. Individual colonies on the planet are run by Hostile rulers, who basically treat the locals however they desire. Each colony is populated about 50/50 by Rogues and Hostiles, who inhabit the planet for any number of reasons.
Rogue traders visit frequently. Hostiles have no tolerance for any races except Rogues and will immediately engage you if they discover that Humans, Thinkers or Warriors are on board.
Hostiles feel that Rogues are inferior beings - the peasants of this system. Rogues also have a reputation (that's not unfounded) of being untrustworthy. They like to steal things, sneak around and poke their noses in other people's business, which may explain some of the problems. Skrath's description of the situation is fairly biased.

T

train

"Is there anything else you want to tell me Skrath? I need to know if there is something you aren't telling me so we limit surprises to only those out of our control..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well guys, I suggest we pose a a Rogue trader... after train gets any more info from Skrath.

What are some popular trading items on the planet?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Skrath has told you everything he knows about the planet.

What are some popular trading items on the planet?
Traders on this planet will sell anything they can get their hands on (equipment, supplies, munitions, etc). Most of the items are geared towards Hostile and Rogue use, although there may be some "black market" items stolen from Human or Warrior technology. Skrath mentions that he and his brother were in the business of selling replacement engine parts before his brother disappeared.

T

train

"Not only am I watching you Skrath... but if you cross us, I'll be watching you die..."

B

BigBlue

Ahhh.... well, now that we have that racism issue settled... I shall remain silent... In the engine room (where if discovered I'm a slave to the rogues who were looking for the best repair person.... :) )

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"All right train, I'm giving you the comm to pose as a Rogue trader... hopefully we can land without arousing suspicion."

turgy22

Nothing Special
train takes the comm, stating that he is a trader wishing to do business on the surface.

The Hostiles reply, stating that an inspection is required for visiting Rogue traders. They move their shuttle into a position to board your ship.

T

train

over the comm - "We will be ready for you to board shortly..."

off the comm - "Captain, we could possibly have our tech jam the door so it doesn't open... or we can just hide Skrath..."

are there panels in the ship only we know about...

ala Millenium Falcon...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Crap, shouldn't Skrath have known that if he's from this planet? I'm beginning to think we were set up..."

Are there any scanners on the ship to see the type of landmasses and vegetation below so we can make a run for it? Or is it even worth it guys?

turgy22

Nothing Special
The airlock door can be locked from the inside, but this will more than likely arouse further suspicion.

As far as hiding places, the crawlspace in the top of the ship is not standard for every cruiser and may not be noticed by boarders. You could always just try to hang out of site, but it's not obvious how thorough the Hostiles' inspection will be.

Also note that Skrath poses less of a concern to the Hostiles than the non-Rogues on board. To this patrol shuttle, he is likely just another Rogue (they all look the same to them) and may or may not be flagged as a criminal. He says he's not.

The Hostile Shuttle backs up to your airlock and extends a docking tube. A single Hostile Soldier crawls into the tube wearing a spacesuit with a helmet that obscures his face. He pounds on your airlock door, requesting entry.

*Note* Hostiles have roughly a similar body type as humans. In general, they are slightly bigger all around, but not by much.

EDIT: Skrath says he's never been boarded before, but he was also born on this planet, so different rules might apply for residents.
You can scan the area from here, but it may take some time for accurate results.