Mirrodin Updates

• Thread starter Azreal the Soulmaster
  • Start date

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
Hey I like storm cards!

And I LOVE buyback!

I can kind of see why it might be a pain on MTGO though...
I like those mechanics as well, but I don't like how some people build decks w/ 40+ rares in them just to pull off sick little combos to win the game...

-Ferret

"New DCI format: Only Commons and Basic Lands!"

N

Notepad

Cycling coming back...then Buyback coming back...

Its like we have Urza and Tempst blocks coming back all over again, just in reverse...

Killer Joe

They kill Counterspell but they'd bring back only the best mechanic ever!

I like buyback right where it is now, in extended-land.

F- I would LOVE for there to be an official format for commons and common lands only.

"UBR.common.dec"

Creatures
4x Nightscape Familiar
3x Thalakos Scout

Spells
4x Accumulated Knowledge
2x Capsize
4x Counterspell
4x Diabolic Edict
4x Duress
4x Incinerate
4x Memory Lapse
4x Terminate

Land
8x Island
4x Mountain
2x Polluted Mire (The Urza Cycle land)
2x Remote Isle (SAA)
1x Smoldering Crater (SAA)
8x Swamp

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I like buyback. Not sure how it'll affect the tourney scene since that's what people seem concerned about, but I don't care since I play "casual" and have been playing with buyback and all the past mechanics anyway :)

I just want more graveyard hate cards (that's not black). :)

T

train

I would also say it's buyback...

As for the Urza's reject - it must've broken the block even more!... can't wait!!!...

Spidey - Morningtide, the advocates...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I like the advocates in a MP game; I'm not sure giving their effect is worth it without building a deck that will get smacked by the others. Unless you have some good ideas :)

Ferret

Staff member
I like to play casually as well. However, since the only source of players I have right now is MTGO I have to be careful who I play with. Many people come in saying they're casual - while they showcase their All-Rare decks. If I were playing RL Magic I really wouldn't care about how these cards might affect the game...

-Ferret

"Besides what affects the Pro Tour eventually trickles up to the Casual scene..."

N

Nightstalkers

Um, with urza's armor, and lands coming back... is there any chance more of his artifacts will be revealed?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret: Exactly. You're coming from one angle and I'm coming from another. That's all. I'm just throwing a vote in for "doesn't matter 'cause it doesn't affect me" :) .

I

Istanbul

You know, Ferret...having a deck that uses a lot of rares doesn't make it less casual. It just means that the particular cards that fit into your deck HAPPEN to be rare. A deck is casual based on its playing style, its fun factor, and how innovative it is - the rarity of its cards does not and should not play into whether it qualifies as a 'casual' deck. For that matter, why should a deck have to "qualify"?! It's a game. Have fun with it.

Ferret

Staff member
Good point. I guess I'm talking more about some of the "Power Rares" that find their way into a lot of the cookie-cutter decks that are pretty prevalent on MTGO. Undoubtedly, you've seen what I'm talking about: Some kid loses to a fantastic deck and they go out of their way to snag all of the rares of that deck to make a copy for themselves. Not enough people take the same time that you do to create powerful decks that are actually ORIGINAL...

-Ferret

"I don't mind losing as long as I know that the person beating me took the time to create the deck themself..."

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
[BLotus' and Atogs O MY

Come on folks, I knew they'd bring back Atogs and even a lotus or something to keep in the style of Richard. (Lazy sons a *****es!)

ITS A BLACK LOTUS IN THERE SET! JUST LOOK! [/B]
VERY VERY BAD IDEA!

Both the Atog and the Lotus were taken out of print for a reason. This could be by far the biggest mistake WotC has ever made since printing Tolarian Academy...

-Ferret

"Lotus Vale I'd like to see again - I loved that card..."

N

Notepad

The Atog was originally taken out of print in Revised because there were no artifacts at the common level for him. Then, it was brought back in 5E, but newbies didn't grasp the concept, so out it went again by 6E.

It is okay to bring back.

As for Lotus, it will not make it back. We will get a cheap substitude, like Lion's Eye Diamond.

D

DÛke

Please try to hold on to your ready-to-burst stupidity. That does not in any way look like a Black Lotus. It looks more like an iron/silver/platinum lotus.

Now is it just me, or do all those images have a snowy/frozen atmosphere to them?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's highly doubtful to the point of 99% that Black Lotus will ever be brought back (along with the rest of the P9). It's just Lotus-related, if not a reprint, like any other card that has a lotus pic.

Killer Joe

I'd still like to know where I can obtain non-tournament copies of the P9. Didn't someone once mention that there was a promotional set of them printed?

As for Mirrodin, I considered Tempest and Invasion as the sets that turned the environment on it's head and we're due for another set like those! Honestly, for as much as I enjoy the current T2 envirnment, it's the only thing on the menu :rolleyes: .

Waiter! 'Check', please!

~Mark