Mirrodin Updates

• Thread starter Azreal the Soulmaster
  • Start date
A

Azreal the Soulmaster

"A "source we can trust" reports the card type Equipment (apparently a subtype of artifacts), that Terror and Shatter are reprinted and a flying artifact angel that says you can't lose.

The source further reports that "there's a reprint which, along with a card reprinted in 8th, will allow you to recreate a classic combo from Magic's early days."

A second "source we can trust" reports the exact text of Platinum Angel:

Platinum Angel
Arifact Creature - Angel
Flying.
You cannot lose the game and your opponents cannot win the game.
6/6

I'd like to note after reading some of the comments on this card that we have received information on the Angel from several different good sources. You don't have to believe it but we can assure you that our sources are good. We only post something that gets this sort of a reaction when we have absolute confidence that it is real.

From totally different source, one that we have a fair level of confidence in (but not complete confidence) we hear:

Annul is reprinted.
Platinum Angel is confirmed and is a 6/6 flyer for with an ability to stop players from winning or losing the game... art by Brom (this is the artwork we've seen).
Atog is reprinted.
There are a few more reprints as well.
Thanks to these anonymouse sources for the information and rancored_elf for passing it on!"

Hey maybe my possessive artifacts from my forgotten realms magic cards weren't that far off
:D

T

train

Smoothness...

Take that morphling...

"Here come the negative life counters..."

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

of course the best thing about that statement IMHO is that Brom is back!

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm...A fragile artifact that prevents victory for your opponent? Neat. Probably will have a CC of somethimg like 10 or more...

I'm glad to see Brom is back - never knew he left in the first place since he's been employed by TSR since the mid 80's...

-Ferret

"I have GOT to get caught up on these things :)"

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

well he was still working for TSR, doing book covers for Forgotten Realms, but he hasn't done anything for Magic since Apocalypse.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Great.

6 colorless is hardly difficult to come by these days.

So what if you and your opponent both have Platinum Angel in play, without a way of dealing with it?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Draw.

This sounds interesting.
I think it might be that you can't lose or win, not that you can't lose and they can't win (that's overkill, isn't it?).

C

Chaos Turtle

No, it prevents the opponent winning via "I win" cards like Coalition Victory.

N

Notepad

There has to be more we aren't seeing here. The angel seems way too good.

And equipment...well, about friggen time they did that. Helm of Chatzuk as something that you pass around from an Atog to a Whipoorwhill was silly, just as silly as having Lance as an enchantment.

O

orgg

Artifact - Creature Enchantment.

Cool... Now we just need tapped enchantments to have colored artifacts...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think the "Equipment" type is unnecessary; there's lots of things in Magic that "don't make sense". Like Terror-ing a Wall...

Interesting Angel... being an artifact creature suits the ability as she's susceptible to both creature and artifact effects (which is why Shatter is in, I guess). I guess rkoelsch is gonna want it ;)

N

Notepad

After some thought, I have to agree with Spidey. It seems silly to create a new card type to do something that can already be done by their current system. If they do something new it should be to do something they haven't done before...like split cards.

EXPECT A COMIC ON THIS!!! :D

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
I think the "Equipment" type is unnecessary; there's lots of things in Magic that "don't make sense". Like Terror-ing a Wall...
I always wondered about using Goblin Sappers on a Wall of Swords...

-Ferret

"How do they DO that?"

I

Istanbul

SeFRo - Illustrate it, I want a crack at wording it.
I think the "Equipment" idea is just another way of removing the Magic from Magic. First the new card faces, now new card types...what the hell?

"We've been enormously successful for 10 years, gentlemen, due to the way we've chosen to make our game. Now, let's THROW IT ALL OUT THE WINDOW AND CHANGE EVERYTHING! Why, you ask?! Because success JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!"

C

Chaos Turtle

The following is a cut and paste from a new member at mtgnews' rumor mill.

==============================================

A Greek site has put up an interview with Mark Rosewater from Worlds.
This is 100% true because I know the person who did the interview and He is the editor of the biggest PC magazine in Greece (Go Vagelis:p).
Among other things Mark talks about Mirrodin and reveals some things:

a) It’s going to be big. The cards work well together (something like tribal I presume) like Onslaught so the cards will probably be very artifact flavoured.
b) The most important sets in the game have been Legends, Tempest and Invasion, each starting a new age in the game and each having 3 years difference in their release. Mirrodin will probably start the 4th age of Magic.
c) Mark thinks Mirrodin will be a blast for everyone Jim, Johnny and Spike all have something to play with and that he will be shocked if people don't like it.
d) The important stuff: The main mechanic is going to be a rejected mechanic from Urza's Saga. Which he thinks is one the best he has ever created. He hints that it lets you customise a card in a unique way unlike anything we have ever seen before. So 2 people play with the same card and use them in completely different ways. The message for this mechanic is going to be “BE AS CREATIVE AS YOU CAN”. And these along with some other cards will make player say WOW, what card is that? Like when they opened the split cards from Invasion packs.
e) A theme players wanted back for some time will return in Mirrodin. We already know this but now it’s official. He goes on by saying that they are really into come backs these days and they will keep on bringing back old mechanics with new twists, like cycling.
f) Most of you will think “buyback” is the returning mechanic but the next question is “Which mechanic would you like to bring back in a future set?” and the answer is “Buyback”. I doubt that he would just give it out like this. So we should be looking for something else. Maybe the next block

About the new mechanic... It sounds like evo morph to me. But could he mean equipment? It allows you to be creative by putting equipment on different creatures. For example Blood Collector (that thing the vampire had on the painting) could give the creature the Sengir Vampire ability (when a creature that has been dealt damage from this creature is put into a graveyard… etc etc) . I’m not saying this card is real. Just speculating.
But equipment isn’t a mechanic so it’s probably something like evo morph. Maybe you make a choice when you play that creature. Who knows.

Once again unless Mark Rosewater was lying (which I doubt, since the reporter was there officially) this from a to f is all true. I hope I helped a little now that we slowy begin to have information about the new set. Go ahead and discuss people.

Mox_Misprint

P.S. To anyone who thinks just because I just registered the info is fake or something like that, I just didn’t have anything to say until now. So…

edit: The URL is http://www.rpg.gr/akindofmagic/10/akom.asp for anyone who is interested and can read Greek (it's written in greeklish)

==============================================

Enjoy.

N

Notepad

Buyback will be the mechanic, hands down. MTG.com had a vote on whether Whispers of the Muse should come back. What a dead giveaway clue...

Ferret

Staff member
Bringing back buyback in today's environment would be a bigger mistake than printing Storm cards. There are far too many ways to get infinite mana combos right now...In table-top games it's bad enough, but for those of us that play MTGO we grow tired of seeing guys take 20 minutes for one turn (thank goodness we can throw a timer into the mix!)

-Ferret

"I have a bad feeling about this"

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey I like storm cards!

And I LOVE buyback!

I can kind of see why it might be a pain on MTGO though...