Mirrodin Card Preview

T

train

So Naturalize is even stronger...

Sad thing is - these can run with Academy decks...

Just more boost for the old Blue monster huh?!!!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but Academy is still restricted and since these are lands, you can only lay one a turn, unlike the no limit on regular artifacts... I don't think they'll be much of a factor in that type of deck.

T

train

That's okay - I had thought about laying 1 land per turn... but then I thought:

someone drops the artifact land, 2 moxen a fast bond and another artifact land - or tolarian academy... then they begin their cycle... and off they go...

As long as WoTC doesn't make a land that untaps whenever mana is added to a mana poll - we'll be fine...

N

Notepad

Turn One:
Artifact Land, Neo Mox, any Myr...

Turn Two:
Artifact Land, and any really fun Affinity stuff you wish to cast...

So much for the game getting slower...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
train: You're still talking Type 1-ish though, where Academy is at least Restricted. Sure you might get a "god hand", but then, you might not.

I think the pendulum has swung the other way to speed up the game a bit faster; I don't recall them saying the game was going to be slowed down permanently. Every couple of blocks, they switch the tempo of the game.

T

train

I think they're both interesting... Both great Utility...

4 mana for a 3/2 first strike - I bash artifacts... great utility and inherent characteristics...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Affinity Mechanic more discussed in this thread, but this just combos with the Artifact Lands alone at a disturbing rate... this could be one of the stronger Constructed cards, perhaps making it all the way to Type 1 as an alternative/additional card drawer to Ancestral Recall.

Attachments

T

train

Tell me that won't be restricted in type 1!!!

(and I'll laugh at you... ;) )

R

rkoelsch

but still at sorcery speed which the type 1s hate. I doubt it will make much impact

T

train

They don't necessarily hate the sorceries... It comes down to the use of the card...

all I'm seeing is another Ancestral - no matter what speed...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ooo, didn't see it's a sorcery. Well, it might still make an impact; rakso uses Brainstorm a lot as a first turn play in his logs, so who knows...

T

train

I'd definitely use this in place of brainstorm... you get to keep each that you draw... so you don't have to stall yourself by sticking junk back on the library...

R

rkoelsch

I think the Scepter would work better for Type one than the card drawer. I could be wrong. You can't fetch it with cunning wish or merchant scroll. doesn't work with the scepter. I just don't see it as a big deal. But I am a scrub.:D

T

train

I don't know of any of us here with pro-points... so in a lot of eyes we're all scrubs...

but I keep a decent eye on the tourney scene - judging and all...