Merged: Terrorist Attack Thread

M

Mr.Gnome

I have already apolagized for this post in the other thread that i posted it on and will do so hear as well. I was thinking irrationally when I posted this and I would like to take back everything that I have said. I don't think that killing is the answer, besides that would make us as low as the terrorists that commitid this evil act. That is something that I never hope to do. Sorry to anyone who had to read that post.
:(:( :( :(

Z

Zhaneel

Apology accepted. I doubt anyone was clear-headed about this situation. I'm rather pacifistic, and happy to hear that you think killing is not the way.

Heyla, Apollo! I'm back... for now. I'll probably end up fading away again, but if anyone wants to reach me, my email is meganp@icdc.com.

W

Wonka

Bush said it was him and they got the evidence to back, it up. they found oout what group it was and they were connected to Bin Ladin.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I might read about it in todays paper then, because everything I've heard so far still is still establishing a trail back to him; they hadn't conclusively linked bin Laden yet.

Z

Zadok001

All we've done is say he is Suspect #1. No proof yet. I personally believe it was Bin Laden in all cases except one:

If we're dealing with VERY smart people, then it's not Bin Laden.

W

Wonka

It is a Terroist group. They were saying some Americans might be in it. The group is connected to Bin Ladin.

M

Multani

Being linked to Bin Laden counts for zip. It still doesn't prove Bin Laden was directly responsible.
Just thought I'd clear that up.

Z

Zhaneel

Last I heard, a lot of the hijackers were from/linked to Egypt.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Multani: Although it's true that "linking a group to bin Laden" doesn't mean that he was "directly" responsible, it's probably the same as "aiding and harboring terrorists" and I'm sure the US would like to have him anyway for the '93 bombing, the Cole bombing, and the African embassy bombings.

Zhaneel: I haven't heard ANY link to Egypt. Just Saudi Arabia and Germany (off the top of my head).

Z

Zhaneel

I'm pretty sure some were, tho i hadn't heard about Germany. I could be wrong.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just read something in the Washington Post that one of hijackers probably belonged to Egypt's Islamic Jihad, but that's about it so far...

W

Wonka

They are saying there are terroists in the Us.There are like 15 of them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think I've been reading that there are terrorist cells in the US. It's not that new; there had to be cells before the attack and I don't think any others would have packed up and left after the attack.

Z

Zadok001

Agree with Spidey. The person in charge of this operation was intelligent - And intelligent people don't waste an entire resource with a single act. In other words, there are probably still terrorists in the US as of now. The remaining cells are probably setting up further acts. *crosses fingers* I hope security stays tight...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just read in the Baltimore Sun that due to the crackdown and investigations of suspected terrorists, authorities think they have foiled several domestic and foreign plans, including bombing the US embassy in Paris and an attack on a military site in Brussels.

G

Gizmo

Well there are going to be links everywhere. Apparently as many as 15 of them were in Britain for several months this year, and Canada is the main base for the operations of arab terrorists in North America because of their liberal immigration laws.
The concerning thing is that there could be any number of terrorists cells in North American - from another 5 (seems ridiculously small) to as many as several hundred (seems more likely spread across the many cities of the US and Canada).

What I am personally concerned about is to what degree the terrorists have until now been pulling their punches. I think it is almost 100% likely that there has never been a concerted attempt by the terrorists to do as much damage as they could, simply because as soon as they launched a particularly devastating attack they would become the targets of the biggest manhunt ever and bring the whole of the western world`s military might down on their head. Exactly what HAS happened now, albeit unwittingly.

I think if you are in the position of the arab terrorist controllers you amass your resources for a large strike while occasionally picking off choice easy targets as they crop up, but always being careful not to kill too many people because that would potentially mean the end of your organisation in reprisals.
Right now you are probably thinking that 6,000 dead is perfectly warranted for reprisals. And you are right. BUT the terrorists had no intention of killing that many people, because it is a stupid move for them to have done so. They could not have known that the WTC was going to collapse - NOBODY knew that - and so if you put that into the mix you can see that the situation has gone out of control.
All they were going to do was take a cheap pop at a large vulnerable target. Maybe 500-1000 people (at the utmost would) have died, and although there would have been a huge manhunt and missile attacks and demands for Bin Laden`s head, the concept of a worldwide coalition to attack terrorism in Afghanistan would have been impossible.

Result: we dont know how much damage the terrorists can do if they get desperate.

It takes only a few thousand dollars to make a chemical weapon capable of killing a thousand people, and there have been thousands upon thousands of people who have passed through the US from arab nations on scholarships who were given the expertise and opportunity to do just that. For every man who pops up on TV explaining how he helped them learn to fly, there could be a biology or chemistry lecturer who taught the next terrorist how to make Sarin or Smallpox cultures, or at least gave them unwitting access to the means of making it.

My concern is that until now the terrorists have been holding WAY WAY back, and that over the top reprisals could be the trigger for them hitting out as much as possible while they still can. The next time you hear about a terrorist attack on the US mainland could not be when a plane crashes into a building. It could be when 20-40% (the mortality rate for Smallpox) of Seattle is dead.

U

Ura

Canada is the main base for the operations of arab terrorists in North America because of their liberal immigration laws.
Actually its not the imigration laws so much as the god awful refuge policies that the government doesn't bother to enforce. We have the Geneva agreement to thank for that one, we had the most extra space so we can take the most people and make it easy for them to get in. Its not because of Canada either, the people here really dislike the way our refugee and immigration policies work but we've got some a**h*l* in office whos only reason for being there is he wants to have his 40th anniversary in politics in office. He's been incompetent for years but we can't get rid of him.

The concerning thing is that there could be any number of terrorists cells in North American - from another 5 (seems ridiculously small) to as many as several hundred (seems more likely spread across the many cities of the US and Canada).
The RCMP and CSIS have actually confirmed agents from almost 50 seperate orginizations living in Canada's borders. The problem is that guilt by association is illegal under the justice system so until they break the law we can't technically get rid of them.
burns the immigration and refugee laws and re-writes them to so NO VACANCY

Exactly what HAS happened now, albeit unwittingly.
Are you being dense on purpose? Why else would you hijack a passenger airliner and then deliberatly crash it into the most heavily crowded and largest structure in New York. Maybe they though they could just park it there with the 80th floor valet and pick it up later after getting coffee? There is nothing unwitting about this.

I think if you are in the position of the arab terrorist controllers you amass your resources for a large strike while occasionally picking off choice easy targets as they crop up, but always being careful not to kill too many people because that would potentially mean the end of your organisation in reprisals.
Actually you want to do the opposite. You make strikes where they will deal the most damage, have the most crippling effect, and/or make the biggest political statement. You do it as cheap, untracable, and efficiently as possible. Terrorist organizations have limited resources unlike some governments and must be highly efficient in their attacks.

Right now you are probably thinking that 6,000 dead is perfectly warranted for reprisals. And you are right. BUT the terrorists had no intention of killing that many people, because it is a stupid move for them to have done so. They could not have known that the WTC was going to collapse - NOBODY knew that - and so if you put that into the mix you can see that the situation has gone out of control.
Uh-huh, and I suppose they just meant to say kill 100 people? As I said above, you don't attack the most heavily crowded place in New York and not expect to kill that many people. To even think the opposite is being stupidly nieve.
FYI the terrorists did exactly intend for the buildings to collapse, not only because that would make the most profound statement then just a hole that would be patched up and forgotten in a couple months, but by the exact jets they chose. The aircraft were all 757 and 767 boeings. The WTC was designed to withstand and easily be able to handle a direct hit from a 707 which is the next smaller class down. There are lots of 707's flying each day, but they chose what they knew would bring the towers down. The only reason they didn't hit lower on the towers was because the NY city skyline is too high for it without hitting something else and maintaining controlable trajectory and air speed. There was no missed points here, they knew exactly what to pick as their weapons and how to use them and what the effects would be.
You want to kill a few hundred insted of a few thousand you crash into a sports stadium when the NY Jets are playing.

All they were going to do was take a cheap pop at a large vulnerable target. Maybe 500-1000 people (at the utmost would) have died, and although there would have been a huge manhunt and missile attacks and demands for Bin Laden`s head, the concept of a worldwide coalition to attack terrorism in Afghanistan would have been impossible.
Actually the coalition was starting being formed when only about 1200 were estimated as being dead and the buildings collapsed. The death toll has grown significantly since then. There would still be a man hunt and worldwide coalition against terrorism because alot of countries are sick of it but none of them could be the spear head as well as the US.
Terrorists don't take cheap pops, they take effective ones.

It takes only a few thousand dollars to make a chemical weapon capable of killing a thousand people, and there have been thousands upon thousands of people who have passed through the US from arab nations on scholarships who were given the expertise and opportunity to do just that. For every man who pops up on TV explaining how he helped them learn to fly, there could be a biology or chemistry lecturer who taught the next terrorist how to make Sarin or Smallpox cultures, or at least gave them unwitting access to the means of making it.
Actually I could take $120 down to the local hardware store right now and get the ingredients to make a crude chemical weapon minus the delivery system, its not that hard. Any 6 year old with the internet and a few functioning brain cells can get the information and follow the step by step instructions. I've got instructions and guides to make almost 400 different explosive and incendery devices on my bookshelf. Knowledge on that kind of stuff is easy to get.
Though do you have any idea at all how difficult it is to make things like sarin gas and smallpox cultures without special equipment for cotainment and storage without getting caught or dying yourself. Thermite plasma is safer and it'll eat through literally anything within about 5 minutes of it being blended together. The sarin gas attack in Japan could have been worse if it wasn't for the poor quality of the gas and crude delivery. But you need special laboratories to refine things like this to great effect.

My concern is that until now the terrorists have been holding WAY WAY back
Yeah. . . I suppose there's a group of them sitting in an apartment with a backpack nuke being used as a coffee table. Conventional explosives are much more efficient and easier to attain with less chance of getting caught then with weapons of mass destruction, chemical or biological means. They're also a hell of a lot easier to store until the time is right.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the next attack come in some place like Las Vegas or Reno or another big gambling city. A place like that would be a huge snub at their Allah and worthy of destroying to them because it would make a huge statement, kill lots of foreign white devils, and have a huge level of property and collateral damage.