Magic professional commits suicide

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Sorry if this has nothing to do with the thread, but it fits the whole "decay of everything" theme exemplified recently...

Let's just close this part of the forums now. I mean the General CPA Stuff section.
We hardly have enough posts to require a "catch-all" Magic forum anymore, and if we had mods who weren't involved in the sticky-substance-slinging anymore these threads would get moved to Off-Topic.

Magic is pathetically boring now that we've realized how pathetically boring Wizards is apparently wanting and expecting us to think it is; the advent of Invasion, the "let's give casual players gold cards to shut 'em up set," 7th Edition, the "let's give casual players Serra and Shivan to shut 'em up set," and Odyssey, the "let's give players an ordinary set to shut 'em up set," casual players have nothing to complain about.
As we all know (or perhaps are learning), this is BAD.
In fact, this site's original purpose is now a moot point... and its secondary purpose is being explored in a very... erm... interesting manner.

At this point, my assessment of this site is that primarily it is compelling. Not primarily interesting, or informative, or intelligent... compelling. I stay mainly because ... I stay. I don't know why.

People like Gizmo -- and TomB, who could technically leave just as fast as Gizmo could if he chose to leave (mods seem to be useful mostly for translating profanities into pig-speak now) -- show that the original idea behind this forum is not specifically a blessing for the Magic world. After all, it denigrated into this site, which is not useless, but which has little to do with the once-flagrant activism that seems to have dissolved completely from the Casual Players' Alliance. In any case, the Wizards at Hasbro seem to have done a magical job at crushing dissent the way the FDR and Truman administrations did so.

The problem was not that we cared too much, or that we cared too little, about the events of the Magic world; the problem is that we, through some apparent violation of societal physics, alternated between caring too little and caring too much with blinding (in)efficiency. Eventually we alternated so fast that we ensured our oblivion as effective agents for Magic social change.

After the first few months I joined I wondered whether it would actually achieve its mission. The answer is now a resounding NO.

This section of the forums is now obselete.

-------

By the way, Gizmo, I never thanked you properly for insulting me after I posted that stupid poem (probably because I never posted on that thread again).

I would like to thank you very, very much.

You actually helped the CPA when you did this

This statement was dead serious, to all those of you who would logically guess that I was sarcastic. It's too bad there's no emoticon for earnestness.

EDIT: If you're using forum defaults, forum jump to CPA/Magic Issues for a moment.

G

Gizmo

Im not sure what your point is. Surely the CPA has already won? Surely Magic now is exactly what the CPA was created to achieve?

"No more broken cards, no more combos, print more golds, bring back Serra and Shivan, no more powerful artifacts, print different win methods, print multiplayer-oriented cards!"

Wasnt that the whole point?

The CPA won, what you witness now is what happens when fighters have nothing to fight for anymore. They get lazy, fat and cantankerous.

Im not sure I disproved the idea behind this site, Im not sure I was ever really a part of that at all. At every step of the way I had to play devil`s advocate to some very naive suggestions about how Magic should progress. I dont think anything I wanted to see from Magic has ever come about over the past three years of my coming to the CPA... at each turn I was forced to retreat as the game ceased to be what I loved and turned into something more... marshmallowy (not a very good word I know, but it seems to fit the bill - sickly sweet, slightly unpleasantly soft, and about as filling as a breath of air).

And there was a poem? :confused:

M

MrXarvox

Perhaps you should read the thread before you spam, Gobo?

He didn't die, he was suspended from DCI events for cheating.

T

theorgg

Whoa, Gobo. Slow down. MTGnews might work like that, but here civility is a paramount.

Since there is another misetings post about Joe Kambroukis, a.k.a. Cheater Mouth I assume that it was my jumping to conclusions that made his death a "reality."

As for the CPA, Magic is doing well right now. If they ever screw up badly(like the Waylay ruling and other issues that have an effect on casual play in a very negative way)... The CPA will be there to voice its concern.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
People like Gizmo -- and TomB, who could technically leave just as fast as Gizmo could if he chose to leave (mods seem to be useful mostly for translating profanities into pig-speak now) -- show that the original idea behind this forum is not specifically a blessing for the Magic world.
And perhaps, in our own way, the changes we advocated in the game that actually happened were just a reflection of what many others were looking for as well, and our voices just joined with the others. I don't really believe WotC R&D took what just we said at face value and ran with it - do you?:rolleyes:

Besides, there are many other things we wanted to see changed in the game (well, at least I did) that never even came close to happening, and never will, which is why I got off the Magic bus. That's why I don't comment about Magic anymore - because I don't buy it anymore.

So you're right - I've given up the fight. At least I still come here and do things like edit profanity, and shut down spam. Most of our Founders stopped doing that months ago, and moved on with their lives...

And no, I don't use barnyard noises. When I edit a post I still just use stars...*** :p

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by Gizmo
And there was a poem? :confused:
Yeah, that remarkably stupid little ditty about "semantics" and whatnot. If everyone forgot it, good for them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by DÛke
......and so if you wanna think like that, than I guess if Gizmo leaves, the site would be hurt...since he *is* a contributing member...
I meant a contributing Magic member: why this site was put up in the first place. So yes, the site would be hurt a little by Gizmo's leaving, but since he hasn't done too much Magic stuff on the site recently, not as much as if others left (and I'm only saying this since you chose to single him out).

And I don't see any reason for my post to have been edited, especially with those lame, overused "oinks," because everything was censored anyway.
Sorry, when someone feels the need to use ASCII characters, that's not "censoring". Thus they get oinked...

Originally posted by Gizmo
Its not the Iraqi government who quote 5,000 dead each month. It is, as I stated, the International Red Cross and other charitable organsations attempting to save the lives of the many thousands of people starving in Iraq because the US wont allow the Iraqi government to have an economy of any kind, or allow anything but the most basic o medical supplies into the country.
Let's not forget about the Iraqi regime who chooses not to distribute any monies they get from the "oil for food" deal or whatever they have going and plow it into rebuilding their military and whatnot...

I also find it vastly amusing that Gizmo and DUke are telling everyone now that the casualty figures from 9/11 are 3000, not 5000... when I first raised that point in a thread in Off-Topic... Gizmo even questioned me on that :p

BigBlue pretty much has it down... Magic was the only common thread that brought us here, you didn't have to talk politics or religion while playing. Since no one who comes here hardly plays Magic anymore, you get to see everyone's views about everything else. Either it offends you so much that you can't stand being here, or you accept it, knowing that you're probably not going to meet these people in your lifetime so what does it matter?

I still can't believe that the CPA has to only do with problems and reacting to them; I think it should have been proactive and nipping stuff in the bud. But then, most of that stuff has to do with tourney stuff and "casual" kind of goes against it... at least that's my impression.

And none of the mods uses oink except me! Me, me, me! They have their own... Blame me! :p

G

Gizmo

I didnt question you on the 3000 figure. I was simply surprised that YOU knew it. I knew it, but I was under the impression American media sources continued to state 5000.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't say you definitely questioned it, but I seem to remember in that thread in Off-Topic whether it mattered if the song lyric had the same impact if the number was 3000 and not 5000 and you said yes? I can't remember if you questioned it there... like I said, it's not worth enough to go digging up again. I do know that was the first time anyone said it was 3000, not 5000 though.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

You're right.

Before, people said 5000, or 2700, but not 3000.