Magic professional commits suicide

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Gizmo
I come back partly to rubberneck, and partly cos you`re all beep!holes, and I like to be among my own kind.
Poor Gizmo.

We're not beep!holes. Fact is, we're a tight-knit community, something that most of the rest of Magic doesn't have...and you never really fit in. You were always too busy waggling your prowess in our faces to try to be friendly, so while you gained respect (from some...it takes more than Magic skill to gain my respect), you never gained the friends that keep this site going.

I wouldn't trade the people I like here for a seat on the Pro Tour. And you and all the 'business before pleasure' Magic players can take that to the bank.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but he uses "ramming" to describe what's happening in the thread, while your use (especially without quotes) seems to imply that you agree with that descriptive, and while you may agree that the CPA deserves the bashing, all I was saying was that the CPA probably doesn't deserve that particular descriptive without further explanation of why.

Come to think of it though, I don't know what would sound better: Bashing? Mocking? Derisive? Oh well, it's probably not important enough to spend any more time on right now... :)

G

Gizmo

Isty.... do you ever actually read anything I ever write?

I never waved my prowess in anybody`s face. Go back and check if you like, and unlike September 11th I was friends with an awful lot of people here. Trouble is September 11th revealed most of them to be rightwing racists so I`m afraid Im not really interested in having them as friends.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It could be that that's not such a big deal since it was revealed that you are a <opposite of rightwing rascist> so perhaps they're not interested either.

Or if they'll still willing to put that behind them despite the ideological/political differences in that area, maybe you could try also.

Who knows...

A

arhar

Oh, the most popular tactic for all liberal whiners - when can't outwit the opponent, label them as something hated... "You disagree? Racist! Nazi! Commie!"

:rolleyes:

D

DÛke

Just my 2,000,000 dollars, but...

Gizmo:

Trouble is September 11th revealed most of them to be rightwing racists so I`m afraid Im not really interested in having them as friends.
And I'm on the same boat myself. Not that anyone was revealed to be a "racist" or anything (I already had known who's...uncivilized prior to 9/11), but...wow...the difference in IQ levels became ever so...clear. (My psyche was offended.)

As for people "ramming" the CPA or whatever choice of words you'd kill me to use...who cares? Again, I'll have to go on and agree with Gizmo: right here, right now, everyone is a stuborn oinkhole who has nothing better to do but complain about people complaining. The end. If you're all nice, big, happy family...just ignore it...

And not as if I'm friends with Gizmo or anything...but you gotta give him his credit: just because some of you are insecure (and...it shows...) around him, doesn't mean that *he* thinks he's a "Pro," after all, like he said, when was the last time did he talk about Magic? Face it, some of your are insecure...amazingly insecure. And in any case, who would even give a oink about the CPA to even try to pretend he or she is "someone special"? Jesus...get over yourselves.

And just for the record, the CPA would do "fine" with anyone gone...not just Gizmo. No one here is special in that matter. Sorry to bust the rock that is your brain.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to disagree that the CPA would do "fine" if anyone left. With the decreasing number of active users and posters, anyone who loeaves means another death knell for the CPA (more so if they actually contribute to any Magic talk).

R

rkoelsch

I am sorry to see that this site has deteriorated to this level. I have stopped coming here expecting any Magic talk. I come to see what some people have to say and for a few games that are going on. I have to give Gizmo some credit I think he was a good Magic player. Whenever he made comments about my decks I read them. He was often caustic but that is his attitude and everyone doesn't have to like me. But I can't help but feel that it is arguments like this one and the one on 9/11 that really hurt this site. This site used to have a party attitude but now you almost feel like you are walking through armed camps waiting for someone to jump on something you said and call you a loser. OH well I will continue to come here as long as any of the people I feel are friends post. Good luck to any who leave in hopes of finding a place where civility rules. That is not the way of the Internet. No such place exists. Learn to live with it.

D

DÛke

Spiderman:

I'd have to disagree that the CPA would do "fine" if anyone left. With the decreasing number of active users and posters, anyone who loeaves means another death knell for the CPA (more so if they actually contribute to any Magic talk).
...and so if you wanna think like that, than I guess if Gizmo leaves, the site would be hurt...since he *is* a contributing member...

rkoelsch -- sorry man, but you said it. "Good luck to any who leave in hopes of finding a place where civility rules." I agree. I have to say though, it's arguments like this and all those about 9/11 that really shows who was actually *civil* and who was just playing civil. And in this case, a lot of people have uncovered themselves as idiots, uncivilized, or racists...or all of those things even. In conclusion, this site's civility was built upon shaking foundations anyway: sooner or later something was to happen, revealing the stupidity and ignorance that this site truely offers. And it did. And now we know. I'm glad I know now, because if I didn't, I would be saying much more...but then I would be wasting my time and breath. Now, I just ignore 99% of the comments made in the CPA, because I know what kind of people are really behind them.

And I don't see any reason for my post to have been edited, especially with those lame, overused "oinks," because everything was censored anyway.

A

arhar

Ok I think I figured it out.

The decline of CPA is all arhar's fault!!

After 9/11 happened - and not mention that it happened because racist American Jews like arhar were oppressing the poor arabs for quite a while, and America deserved it anyway, - everybody was so disgusted by arhar's comments like "we should not let them get away with killing 5000 of Americans" that everybody saw what racist oink arhar was, and that all CPA members are just like him. I mean, how dare those Americans on the CPA express their emotions after 5000 have been brutally murdered in NYC! Of course, for everybody in their right mind, who's not a racist, first reaction should be "yeah, yeah, whatever, people suffer a lot more in other countries, who cares if 5000 people get killed in your backyard"

G

Gizmo

Arhar.

Its a little under 3000. I repeat. A little under 3,000. Has this not got through to you yet? I mean it`s been general knowledge for around 4 months now.
By contrast 5,000 Iraqis die EACH MONTH because of privations imposed upon them by unjust US-led economic sanctions (its the UN, Amnesty International, and the International Red Cross that calls them unjust, not me).

By contrast about that many arabs were killed in recent fighting in the West Bank. The US sent a peace envoy (you remember, they sent the guy who kicked the crap out of Iraq, what a shining symbol of peace). He went over, looked at what was going on, slapped the Israelis on the back and told them to carry on, and was there anything they needed?

Hopefully the terrorists will learn their lesson that killing 3,000 people was simply too small a gesture - a mere pinprick - and it failed to actually get their point across, all it did was enrage the bully further. Next time they`ll hopefully strike significantly harder, and maybe then the US will take notice of the concerns of the rest of the world.

Personally I dont side with the terrorists in their eventual aims - I think that the extremist Muslim cause is not one that should prevail. but while the US continues to act as such an oppressive global economic, social and political bully the extremist cause will find no end of willing martyrs.

Look at the lessons learnt from the (touch wood) successful Irish peace process, and see how the US policy towards the Muslim world is the exact opposite, and can only bring about an increasing spiral of violence.

for everybody in their right mind, who's not a racist, first reaction should be "yeah, yeah, whatever, people suffer a lot more in other countries, who cares if 5000 people get killed in your backyard
Yes, it should. I realise that you meant this as sarcasm but that just shows how twisted your worldview is. American peoples lives are worth, what, 3000 times as much as the lives of brown people on the other side of the world are worth? More innocent civilians die EACH MONTH in Iraq ALONE than have died in America throught the history of this East/West conflict.
HOW ARE YOU POSSIBLY THE GOOD GUYS?

B

BigBlue

I have to say, this isn't a CPA problem.

It isn't even a Magic Problem.

Virtually every place I visit which used to be primarilly geared towards one thing or another has degenerated into mostly offtopic chatter. Human nature I think. the Internet was a cool new thing where we could get together with fellow geeks and nerds to discuss geeky nerdy things together. Now virtually everyone is online and sites are diluted with people who feel that each place they go should be about everything in the world. September 11 only brought this to a head. you couldn't NOT talk about it wherever you went, that is how you resolve your personal fears and doubts, you talk them over with people you feel comfortable. Problem is the only tie we have here is a game, and we aren't all the same outside of that "love" for the game. So dividing lines are drawn which shouldn't be there. I saw the exact same activity happen on sports sites and other places too. At least in the offseason of football season we feel more at ease to discuss non-football things, whereas there really isn't an offseason for magic. Also, believe it or not the game is on the decline now. The pinacle of it was around Mirage in my mind, now I just see players quitting or leaving town, their only replacements are young kids who don't fit in with our age, or don't want to. I'm pretty easygoing and can get along with most anyone, but some of these up and comers are either too cocky or idiotic to invite over for casual games. I think the game will be around for the long term, but I could be wrong. How many "new" people do you see picking it up in the older age group? many more leave than join as they graduate college, get married, and move on in life.

I barely have enough time to get together and play anymore let alone stir the juices building decks. Plus there's always the doldrums between expansions. It used to be a new expansion could last me months of enjoyment, now I get bored after a couple weeks.

I submit decks when I'm in that mode and participate in discussions, etc when I feel I have something to add. I would bank on some of the non-appearances here being due to the Online game as well. Those chatrooms see a lot of discussions and I know a good number of us are participating there, which eats up our "internet" time.

A

arhar

Gizmo,

We've been through this a million times, with nobody changing their views and no result except you throwing a fit, declaring that your'e leaving CPA forever (for the n'th time) and proclaiming me a grand wizard of KKK and eater of babies.

Yes, I support was Israel is doing right now (and should've done a long time ago) and I support what America is doing after September 11th. I'd like to see the sources of your "facts" that 5000 Iraqies die each month BECAUSE OF THE USA, but I doubt you could provide them.. Who told you that, the Iraqi government?

I explained my position a long time ago. I'm human. I care about what happens in my town a lot more than what happens across the world.

Hopefully the terrorists will learn their lesson that killing 3,000 people was simply too small a gesture - a mere pinprick - and it failed to actually get their point across, all it did was enrage the bully further.
Hopefully their next target will your town... I'll love to hear you say "Oh, well, it really doesn't matter, a lot more people die all over the world all the time!" when your friends and relatives have been brutally murdered. And I hope it's going to happen EVERY DAY, like it happens in Israel for the last 50 years.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I come back partly to rubberneck, and partly cos you`re all beep!holes, and I like to be among my own kind.

In fact, if you listen carefully, you can hear the Cheers jingle playing in the background.
This makes it sound like you like coming here...

But:
Go back and check if you like, and unlike (until?) September 11th I was friends with an awful lot of people here. Trouble is September 11th revealed most of them to be rightwing racists so I`m afraid Im not really interested in having them as friends.
And:
Any ramming the CPA gets it deserves. Personally I know for a fact that I have the respect of pretty much every person who commented on that thread, because we have discussed it privately. But if they want to ram the CPA for being crap Im afraid i`m with them all the way.
This makes it sound like you don't really respect anyone else here. In fact, you could take it a step further and extrapolate that you in fact "like to be among your own kind" wallowing in the "crap" that is the CPA. :eek:

You are what you eat, my friend, and this site is merely a reflection of the input of all of it's members. If we are indeed "crap", as you put it, then we are crap because people like yourself haven't been doing enough to make the place "not crap".

D

DÛke

TomB:

If we are indeed "crap", as you put it, then we are crap because people like yourself haven't been doing enough to make the place "not crap".
Or, because you're all full of crap...therefore this place is crap.

And Arhar -- did you notice that whenever someone says something you don't like, you instantly run to your *only* defense: "I want sources"? It's so stupid. Obviously, you don't know *anything* about this subject matter because you still state that more than 5000 people have died on 9/11, when the *fact* is, only 3000- did die. Pardon me when I say, but anyone who's that much unaware does not deserve any extra time from anyone else. I suggest you get your act together and stop asking for sources and start looking for them yourself...because obviously, it's your fault that you don't know. (5000 died? Dunno where you live...)

And it's not terrorism. It's a *war.* If it's terrorism, then Israel has been committing acts of terror for some time now, hence *all* it was doing is killing innocent people and...children, and was not opposing any army. You can't call that a "war," but call the 9/11 thing...terrorism. That shows how many limits your willing to push to be stupid...

G

Gizmo

Its not the Iraqi government who quote 5,000 dead each month. It is, as I stated, the International Red Cross and other charitable organsations attempting to save the lives of the many thousands of people starving in Iraq because the US wont allow the Iraqi government to have an economy of any kind, or allow anything but the most basic o medical supplies into the country.

And, out of interest, how many of your friends and relatives were 'murdered' in the WTC? Im curious here, as you ascribe your reaction as being to one of somebody who lost close personal friends in the attack.

Im sorry, but the US and the Arab Extremists are playing the exact same game, and both are the bad guys. You have a president who cheated his way into office and is determined to go after anybody he doesnt like because it`s the only way he has of shoring up his otherwise weak internal popularity.

You stand for truth, justice, and dead brown people.
Thats the American way, isnt it?

In fact, you could take it a step further and extrapolate that you in fact "like to be among your own kind" wallowing in the "crap" that is the CPA.
You COULD extrapolate that. I mean it IS what I said, after all.

T

theorgg

Lotus Mox and Rathian:

Stright from Rizz's response to me, at least the relative parts, uncensor'd in the spirit of Rizzo.

WARNING: Contains strong language, quoted from e-mail:

My text is in front of the >s.
> I'm torn between two things here: A big "fuck you" for trashing a
> forum
> that has had twelve people venture off to colledge in the past six
> months,
> taking much of its lifeblood, or a big, and heartfelt "Goodbye"

Yeah, I figured you'd take offense to that. But the funny thing is that
I
didn't mean to trash it at all. It was very difficult to come up with
tangible reasons when The Ferrett emailed me, and my general depression
about sort of feeling like an outsider at the CPA (not exactly sure why,
but you know I've been uncomfortable about it for about the last year or
so) just popped up in there. Also, I had no idea The F was gonna
friggin'
post that.

I hardly ever apologize, ever, but consider this me apologizing to all
the members for what I wrote about the CPA.

~later in the three-page e-mail~

> Goodbye, Rizzo,
>
> and Fuck You.

Later, Orgg.

And yep, I guess I had that coming. Still, if the phrase "out of
context"
was ever relevant, or "letting off steam" was either, then they are in
regards to my comments. I apologize if anypone got bent or pissed or
anything else. It wasn't the intention. Hells, community is community
and
it's all good.

Take er' easy, and, well, thanks for being a part of a couple of great
years.

And that's the last you'll hear of me quoting rizzo to us. Y'know, I miss Wakefield more than ever...

G

Gizmo

Has Rizzo said something about the CPA then? I guess he had to get round to it eventually, he`d talked about every other topic but magic in his 'articles' (and I use the word very loosely).