Invasion... too powerfull?

T

terzarima

If you didn't know mtgnews has the invasion spoiler up and running. Today I took my first glance at the cards to come... they seemed super powerful take for example
Reya Dawnbringer
6**, Creature - Angel Legend 4/6, Rare
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to play.
Crazy eh? or maybe
Lotus Guardian
7, Artifact Creature 4/4, Rare
Flying
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Maybe I am just crazy, which doesn't come as a surprise but this set seems almost too powerful. I think that casual players will be overwhelmed by these cards. But this is only my opinion...

D

DÛke

...it's no where near broken:).
It's just too cool and powerful, but not broken.
It's balanced.

Notice how the cards you mentioned cost so much:).
Fun, but not that powerful.

T

terzarima

I said nothing about broken cards.... but you have to imagine a casual player (like me....) Who buys like 3 packs a month against a 16yr old who buys boxes (no offense Zadok) I mean we can't compete against huge cards like that!

Killer Joe

Nothin' says, "How do you do?" better than a good 'ol counterspell. Go ahead, bring on the new stuff, "Counter, counter, etc..."

Z

Zadok001

Personally, I believe Invasion is brilliantly balanced. Think about it. We're looking at spells and abilities that have amazingly powerful effects, at high costs, as well as some Uber-cards that rely on a bunch of lands of different types. :) Cards with high casting costs and strange requirements are inherently more powerful in multiplayer.

That's life, it's been true for many sets in the past. Most notably, cards like Congregate, Multani, and Syphon Soul have extremely enhanced effects in multiplayer. But they aren't nessesarily dominant. A key issue with casual play is that _nothing_ can truly dominate. Think about, when was the last time someone played a single deck for months on end in multiplayer? Last never, yes? A deck can dominate, but never forever. More like an day or two.

Yes, cards can be too good in multiplayer. But with a good bunch of people to play with, who cares? They aren't gonna work forever, someone will shut 'em down, or they'll go away of their own accord. Score, neh?

T

terzarima

touche Zadok.... Invasion Is balanced, that is true... but still take the casual player into account... Everything is improve in this set Dual Lands have returned the multicolores have returned and are as powerfull as ever. And ways to get the many different colors have been increased... but I think this set really outweighs all the others (maybe excluding IA, but anyways) I still think that maybe Invasion is a tad too powerfull... at least for the normal Casual player

M

Mr_Pestilence

The set as a whole seems kinda weak, but I agree that Reya seems broken. What if you could get Reya and Diplomatic Immunity going? That would be cool!

C

Cerberus

there is no getting around it WOTC real out did them self Invasion Is balanced it is a miracle

N

Namielus

So you other casual player (I guess me a zadok don't count), think that if we have all those creatures your helpless?

I would like to get to know 2 of my good friends one is Terror and the other is Shatter. Both cost 2 mana and there are more that one variation for multiple colors. That angel can't save herself and at 8 mana, unless your oppenet is playing sols rings up the wazu, you've got that angel dead before she can bring anything back. Same goes with the artifact creature.

None of the cards that are coming out are imposible to stop even obliverate. If your playing agaisnt an opponnet that has a paralax tide out your not gonna cast obliverate unless you think you know what your doing. paralax tide would by a blue player at least 2 turns to figure out a way to deal with it. there is many more solutions to that problem also.

You just have to know the stuff your opponnet is gonna try and do and stop it. So if you have purcassed 3 bosters of invasion, where as others purcase in the boxes you still have the same old solutions all over the board. And you still have 50$+

P

Purple_jester

Were people complaining about Urza's Saga being too powerful before it came out? In my opinion, that set was much more powerful and unbalanced than the others, even Invasion.

Invasion is slower and costs more in mana, despite the powerful effects. Urza's was the king of overpowered, undercosted and fast. Remember Voltaic Key, Grim Monolith, Masticore, Morphling, Rofellos, Gaea's Cradle and let's not forget Tolarian Academy? The only thing Urza's was missing was Moxes which produced 2 colored mana.

I like Invasion. Powerful, but easy going and well treated. It remains to be seen which card is broken. I'm not saying that there are no broken cards, because one card in every set is meant to be shattered. Even if it takes time for people to notice (ex. Necropotence, Lion's Eye Diamond, High Tide). ;)

E

ErinPuff

My friend is going to love Invasion more than anything else on this planet.. "WHOA, LOOK AT ALL THOSE BIG CARDS!!!" ;)

That's not to say I'm not gonna love it.. I'm sure I am! But I generally play fast decks except in multiplayer, so some of those big cards aren't gonna see much use from me.. they'll just sit there in my binder and look big. :)

Z

Zadok001

Purple Jester, you are correct. No one walked around saying 'Saga is broken' before it was released. But there's a good reason for that; no one had to! See, before Saga's release, no one was really too worried about 'overpowered,' or 'broken combo.' Saga started all that, thus, no one had a precedent to compare its brokeness to. So no one said anything.

Now that we have known (and often enough, hated) Saga, we obviously get nervous when anything else threatens to repeat the fiasco. Thus, we worry about broken cards and decks and combos and ideas. Think about it, _every_ set since Saga has been analyzed to see whether or not it is 'broken.' Nemesis was quickly labelled 'broken' when someone saw the error in the wording on the Parallax cards. Prophecy was all 'Avatar of Woe is too powerful!' before the release. Masques, it was Squee. There's always something for someone to be scared of due to its possible brokenness.

There are some great cards in Invasion, but I don't think we have to worry about it being broken. Well, wait, that's not right. I think Invasion is balance, but I think we have to worry about it being broken, lest Saga repeat itself. :) We'll always worry about a new set being broken, that is Urza's real legacy.

G

Gizmo

It`s the worst set ever printed.
:(
I mean it. There are probably no more than a dozen tourney-playable spells in the set.

*Yawgmoth`s Agenda*
Prohibit (huge for extended)
Wash Out
Scorching Lava
Skizzik
Kavu Chameleon
Death Or Glory
*Recoil*
Absorb
Undermine
Overabundance
Fires Of Yavimaya
All the 2/2 creatures with Protection for U/B etc are good as well.

I

Ihsans Shade

My reply to this thread, BS! After all the crap that WotC has given us, this is just equaling out the difference. I mean, the MM block is proof enough. Masque sucked, Nemesis, was one above, and prophocey is just a noch up, but Invasion... This might be a new Alliance from the looks of it, but don't hold your breath.

Just my opinion...
Ihsan's Shade

G

Gizmo

Umm, I think that a lot of the set is utter drivel. But no doubt that almost all the Gold cards (and most Rares overall) are good for casual play. But I worry whether or not they might be too good and overpowered. You get some real big effects if you want to fork out for them, so I think this might be a case of a set being too weak at 1cc-4cc and too powerful at 5cc+.
But then what I know about Casual Play you could write on the back of a veeeeeeery small stamp.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious and I don't know if you've mentioned it in the past: Do you build decks around wacky cards that other people might consider "casual"? I cannot come up with any examples at the moment... uh, Manabarbs or Power Surge or something? Or theme decks?

I don't believe you've commented on the thread Rando started about the Dojo article by Aaron Forsythe either... I think it's called Lookie here. What do you think?