In response to you casting Mirrodin, I'll play....

N

Nightstalkers

How can you guys call it FAST when it costs 5 to cast and only makes 3?
Let me put it this way for ya Troll:

I have a friend that can quite literally "drop the bomb" (anything with casting cost of 7 or above) on the first to second turn with his deck.

I've seen a few complete n00bz make a deck that emphasized on throwing out Mr. Fatty on turn 4-6.

need anymore examples?

Ferret

Staff member
I can see how well it would work in my present favourite format: Emperor (1/1/1). People can get out land pretty fast in it - throw in fast artifact mana and it will get pretty sick, pretty fast...

-Ferret

"Why don't they bring back Dark Ritual while they're at it?"

N

Notepad

Dozen Eyes is really just a poor excuse for a puke bucket. After all, anybody who can ramp up so much mana would definitely prefer the dozen eyes of six wurm tokens...ala CRUSH OF FRIGGEN WURMS!

Hell yeah! :D

N

Notepad

Crush is only a little over two years older, which isn't even that old. Normally "the older stuff is better" means back in the days of Legends or Tempest and stuff like that...

T

train

well you're right... typically...

but in this instance - it looks like the crush - still a youngin to timewalk, etc - is better - and it just happens to be older...:)

N

Notepad

It is funny, because I friggen hate Crush, but in this case I got its back because Dozen Eyes is such a friggen turd.

Then again, back in Crush's day, mana was a little harder to get than it will be in Mirrodin, so, they are metagamed to be equal, I suppose... :rolleyes:

N

Nightstalkers

No kidding. That bigger is better crap is really kicking off now.

WotC has forever screwed T1 with "mega-man" giant stompy decks.

N

Notepad

Oh hell yes. I just wish Scourge could have come out "back in the day"...you know, Legends and the like. THAT would have been a true golden age of Magic, with all those fun fatties. :D

*cough* rant coming *cough*

T

train

But screwing type 1 with stompy is great!... it means more newer players can compete in a type 1 environment...

N

Nightstalkers

Younger players don't have a lot of cash, thusly, no way to pay for the older cards.

By what you say train, we're just prolonging these tikes little games of "follow the big black bouncing ball" and I'm just a little upset that I can whip these children with a deck, someone off the street, and a prerecorded message.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They don't necessarily have to pay - they can trade for the cards. Commons still go for almost nothing and a lot of current cards are equal or greater in value to a lot of older cards (like Exalted Angel).

T

train

Or they could sell themselves...

just kidding...

Though I'm sure some Magic junkies would seriously consider it...

As for the cost of the game... I still believe a non-rare deck can whup the type 1 decks being run now...

"I made a pimp of world champs deck, and I can make a pimp of type 1 also!..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think a non-rare can beat certain types of Type 1 decks, but I don't think there's one that can beat all of them consistently (ala The Deck).

T

train

I think I've heard a challenge!!!...(;) :D )

I shall rise to the occasion... well... maybe I'll just sit here on my keister...

either way..

I'll find something!!!...

But is the deck I make supposed to beat "The Deck" also - or just the main type 1 decks...(I seriously need clarification on this issue... it would entail more research)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess all the main Type 1, that's what the question seems to be. I mean, a common Sligh/Stompy can probably beat a couple of Type 1 decks but fall to others... so the goal would be a non-rare deck that can beat the majority of the field (we can even count sideboarding).

T

train

I guess what I was meaning to ask is - Is "The Deck" a type 1 archtype or something that only Rakso works on... I don't see it at all around here - nor in Lubbock or Abilene, so I'm not sure how big that style of deck is on the type 1 scene...

I do understand that the deck I would come up with would need to beat most if not all of the field - including the deck - but if the deck is mainly a regional thing or just a Rakso thing - I could plan for it in the sideboard...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Beats me... is there a big Type 1 scene down there? rakso seems to play online alot along in person in his country, so I don't know if your area is just missing out or if it's just "local" to him.

It does use a lot of the power cards though, so it's pretty expensive...

T

train

Well - we're running 1.5...

Lubbock has type 1 and a lot of the play in Lubbock Abilene and San Angelo is type 1...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I do remember an article in an early Duelist about a guy from Texas, maybe one of those areas, attempting to make the Pro Tour his "job" and living off the winnings... way back when the Tour was first starting...