In response to you casting Mirrodin, I'll play....

N

Nightstalkers

this thread!

I checked the magic arcana with the pics of the boxes and stuff, and noticed a lotus (and an Atog!) on the boxes. Now is this the legendary Black Lotus coming back to haunt the new generation of players? I do not know. But one thing I do know, is that it'll have an ability exactly like, or similar to the black lotus of yore.

So I rummage this old and delapidated question out of the vaults for you all to ponder quite thoroughly.

What effective strategy could you pump up or shape around Black Lotus if it were Type 2 legal?

Ferret

Staff member
I dont' even want to think of Black Lotus being Type 2 legal. First, it will be just normally legal (4 per deck!) and then it will become Restricted. However, with all of the search cards available (Wish away!) and graveyard recursion we can see lots of infinite combos that may not even have to wait for turn two to go off. This could be very bad if it is even remotely true...

-Ferret

"I don't even think that reprinting the Petal would be a good idea..."

N

Notepad

The Black Lotus will not be making a comeback. However, that is a blatant hint that something LIKE it will be.

Expect something a little better than Lion's Eye Diamond and a little worse than Lotus Vale, and a lot worse than Lotus Petal.

As for atog....HEEEELL YEEEEES!!!!!!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there's a Restricted List anymore for Standard; it's either in or Banned. But answering the question directly:

It would definitely go in any deck, no matter what. Four potential mana on the first turn (it and a land) is an awesome advantage. So good 4cc spells would probably be increased in decks.

It'd also help out three or more colored decks (well, any multi).

T

train

Actually - this is all goblins needs to beat the tar out of someone - since force of will isn't in anymore...

N

Nightstalkers

It would make the game very unfun...

But its a nice idea to bring us something like Mr. Lotus again... Even if the new team is trying to suck up to WotC and everyone else after 8th and (dare I say it?) Odyssey blocks oddities.

Ferret

Staff member
It would seem to contradict most of the decisions that WotC has made lately. It seems like they've been trying to slow down the game by not reprinting Dark Ritual, banning Lotus Petal, and not re-printing Mox Diamond. I think they might have learned from their mistakes...of course, we've said that before...

-Ferret

"It's about time I hit 1,000 posts!"

T

train

Congrats on the 1,000 Ferret!!!...

"See what happens when you spend more time with us at the CPA..."

N

Nightstalkers

well, its a good number... now If only I could get to 2003...

Okay, I don't want to start up a new thread, so I'll post the second question here:

What new abilitie(s) do you think will be tacked onto the new Lotus?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Doublestrike would make a fine lotus.

I think if they print anything of excessive power they will ban it immediately in Type II and Extended. This will be fun though.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Okay, I don't want to start up a new thread, so I'll post the second question here:

What new abilitie(s) do you think will be tacked onto the new Lotus?
Maybe they'll make it one of those Equipment Artifacts so that it can only be used as mana to power a creature's ability...

-Ferret

"...which would still be incredibly dangerous..."

N

Notepad

>> "...which would still be incredibly dangerous..."

How could that be dangerous? Except for Morphling, there hasn't been a dominating creature that would have benefitted from a lot of mana quick...

T

train

Masticore could use up mana...

But in all truth SeFRo - We may see the new "dominating" creature in Mirrodin!...:eek:

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by train
Masticore could use up mana...

But in all truth SeFRo - We may see the new "dominating" creature in Mirrodin!...:eek:
A new dominating creature? Great. Just what the Magic world needs: another rare that everyone will shell out their first born for...

-Ferret

"I hope I get a couple in my boosters! I could use a few kids running around to keep the cats company..."

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by SeFRo

How could that be dangerous? Except for Morphling, there hasn't been a dominating creature that would have benefitted from a lot of mana quick...
Remember I am Superman? oh wait, its called Pemmin's Aura!

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Originally posted by SeFRo

...though Nantuko Shade does a rather good job.

R

Reverend Love

WoTC has been very open about that fact that Mirrodin WILL contain cards targeted towards type one. Does this lead me to believe that our bus of salvation has arrived and decimated the entire play testing team..no. If they do introduce something Lotus related it'll be fruity, much like Lotus Vale is fruity. However we can all hope for a powerful card akin to Black Lotus which is quickly banned in type 2, being targeted to type 1 gamers. All things considered I pray they do this, reason being it'll get Type 1 players buying large quantities of packs, which Wizards will appreciate , thus more type 1 love. AND if by some miracle they do in fact bring La Lotus Dee 300 dollar Moxis back HOORAY!

Ferret

Staff member
I agree. If they bring in some good cards aimed at Type I it could make the format easier for people w/o massive bank accounts to play the format w/o feeling like dirt when they lose to yet another Power Nine (the) deck...

-Ferret

"...no more Fork reprints, PLEASE!"

R

Rooser

I'd just like to suggest that Black Lotus does not belong in EVERY deck, just like Dark Ritual doesn't belong in every 1.5 Black deck. Why? Because it's card disadvantage. Don't get me wrong, it's VERY strong, but control decks would rather fill that slot with a counter spell or a card drawer or a Wrath of God or something.

Casting, say, Erhnam Djinn on Turn 1 because of your Lotus is good fun, but it means something like Terror will nullify not one but TWO of your cards, (The Djinn AND the lotus you used to cast it).

With that said, I suppose I should come up with some responses.

4 lotuses in a land destruction deck? Hilarious!
Lotus + Goblins? Awesome!
First turn Zur's Weirding? Heh heh....
I can't duress anymore, but I can still Coercion on the first turn, ha ha!
First turn Archivist, or third turn Arcanis, can make up for the Lotus' card disadvantage.

To answer the second question, I think the drawback will probably be that it will actually have a casting cost. If it was exactly Black Lotus, except it cost 3 colorless to put down, it would be balanced, but useful as a sort of Mana Storage Unit. If I'm not mistaken, WOTC has a policy against printing any artifact that can produce mana and has a 0 casting cost, so not even Lotus Petal should come back. Then again, WOTC does notoriously contradict itself. Still, my guess at to its drawback would be that it costs mana to put down.

PS - The notion that Type 1 players can be won back by printing Type 1 remakes in new sets is absurd. Truly dedicated Type 1 players, (As in the ones that actually play in Type 1 tournaments on a regular basis), keep up with the new sets anyway; they want to make sure they don't miss anything. The afraid-of-change curmudgeons that sit around b*tch about how things used to be aren't gonna listen to reason. Judgement, with it's wishes, and Onslaught,with it's fetchlands, had the biggest impact on competitive Type 1 in a long time, but most casual old-timers were too busy complaining to notice/admit it. Anything short of reprinting Beta as the next Core Set isn't going to fully win them over to Type II.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Rooser
PS - The notion that Type 1 players can be won back by printing Type 1 remakes in new sets is absurd. Truly dedicated Type 1 players, (As in the ones that actually play in Type 1 tournaments on a regular basis), keep up with the new sets anyway; they want to make sure they don't miss anything. The afraid-of-change curmudgeons that sit around b*tch about how things used to be aren't gonna listen to reason. Judgement, with it's wishes, and Onslaught,with it's fetchlands, had the biggest impact on competitive Type 1 in a long time, but most casual old-timers were too busy complaining to notice/admit it. Anything short of reprinting Beta as the next Core Set isn't going to fully win them over to Type II.
Most Casual Players don't care about Type I and/or II when they're playing a game on their kitchen tables. They might have their own banned/restricted lists, but for the most part it's a "build your own decks and have fun w/ them" attitude that prevails...

-Ferret

"At least, from my experiences..."