Hey baby, whats your sign?...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

It seems like it should be a classic question, and since i'm not on here I'll let it out....i'm a scorpio, and i resent that thing you said about scorpios being evil and nasty Almindhra(that doesn't mean its not true it just means i resent it:D)

J

Jake74

I'm an Aquarius, raw happiness unleashed on the world...

About Scorpios- my best friend is a scorpio, they're really cool;
my ex-girlfriend is a scorpio, they suck! The thing is that they are so much alike it isn't funny, but one I like and the other I don't...

C

Chaos Turtle

Almindhra
My sun sign is Virgo.
My moon sign, if that means anything to you, is also Virgo.

Spiderman
The association with dates comes from the sun's apparent location relative to you when you were born. (Obviously, it's you that's doing the moving, not the sun). For example, I was born on August 31, 1970. At the time, the sun was in Virgo, meaning that it was travelling through that constellation that day (it entered sometime around the 22nd).

Sun signs only present the general picture, though. All of the planets are located in certain constellations when you are born, and an expert astrologer can construct a chart for you, explaining the influence of these planets in your life. (Interestingly, the sun and our moon are considered planets for this purpose.) The reason why the sun sign gets the most attention is (duh) because it's so big and has the greatest influence (gravitationally speaking) on us. The moon naturally comes second, and the planets follow, with relative influence according to size and distance.

You might be able to tell that I've dabbled a bit in astrology. ;) For me, I've found that astrological descriptions can be very useful in understanding some people's behavior (I have a very "Virgo" outlook, for example) I don't find much use for the day-to-day astrological forecasts that seem to be everywhere these days (okay, for the last few dacades, whatever) mainly because all these "experts" often give vastly differening interpretations. I know a good astrologer personally, though, and she often gives useful general advice, usually along the lines of how people in general are going to be feeling/acting. That kind of information really comes in handy when you have a job dealing directly with lots of people veryday -- waiting tables, in my case.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
It is a Classic Question, and I'll move it to the Classic Questions Forum right now.

Spidey: The Signs relate to their dates because that's the time of year when the Sun is "in" those Signs (constellations) in the sky. Hence, you are said to have been born with said Sign "looking" upon you.

When someone is said to have been born "on the cusp" of a Sign, that's around the time when the Sun is "passing" from one sign to another. And that whole "Mercury rising, Venus in Scorpio, etc." jibba jabba is something I'm not about to get into here...

BTW Almindhra, I'm a Capricorn too! :eek:

[edit]It looks like me and CT posted at the same time (virtually) on this one - LOL! - TomB[/edit]

L

LlanowarGoblin

It depends what magazine I look at. Most of them say I am Virgo but some say I am libra. I was born in the year of the Dragon :cool:

F

fuzzy510

It seems like this would be a classic question. Which explains why it's here.

I'm a Taurus. But you probably looked at the calender and found that out.

If anyone cares, I'm a rabbit. (Or hare, whatever it is.) Kind of an oxymoron, ain't it?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the explanations, guys. Now where were you last year when the thread was created? I pretty much forgot what I had asked... ;)

C

Chaos Turtle

I saw it last week and assumed it was a new thread. :p

LlanowarGoblin: The reason for the discrepancy you're seing is that the dates are not constant, since our calander is imperfect (we lose about 6 hours a year, made up for on Leap Year Day). It would depend upon the year of your birth, and a decent astrology book or website shuold be able to provide the exact time for you that the sun crossed houses.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I am the only Aries to post here. Hmm... I wonder what that means.

T

terzarima

Mmmm... Tauros.....

Yes, CT, I understand. My Sun sign is Tauros, and my moon sign is (I'm forgetful, but I think its) Virgo? Maybe Cancer.... I'm going to have to steal that "All you need to know about astrology" book from my teacher again....

I'm in the third sign of Tauros, if anyone understands that.

So apparantly I'm a stubborn bastard, which I'm sure anyone would tell you.

Astrology is cool.

T

terzarima

They are faithful and generous friends with a great capacity for affection, but rarely make friends with anyone outside their social rank, to which they are ordinarily excessively faithful. In the main, they are gentle, even tempered, good natured, modest and slow to anger, disliking quarreling and avoiding ill-feeling. If they are provoked, however, they can explode into violent outbursts of ferocious anger in which they seem to lose all self-control. Equally unexpected are their occasional sallies into humor and exhibitions of fun.

Although their physical appearance may belie it, they have a strong aesthetic taste, enjoying art, for which they may have a talent, beauty (recoiling from anything sordid or ugly) and music. They may have a strong, sometimes unconventional, religious faith. Allied to their taste for all things beautiful is a love for the good things of life pleasure, comfort, luxury and good food and wine and they may have to resist the temptation to over indulgence, leading to drunkenness, gross sensuality, and covetousness.

Let me type in something from an article I cut out.

"You haven't had sex until you've had a tauros"

Hmm....

M

MrXarvox

I was born in the "cusp of beauty" which, according to a friend's astrology book, is between Virgo and Libra.

Is it any surprise?

T

terzarima

Hah....

I'm in the third decante of Taurus :) Something about being stubborn....