FULL Apocalypse Spoiler.

G

Gizmo

How do they cast Terror on it? It`s black to begin with. They can`t even target Spiritmonger with a Terror unless the Spiritmonger has already changed color that turn.

C

Cateran Emperor

I don't follow there Mr. Elemental. How is the opponent changing its color, and why would they do it in response to a Terror that logically already had to be a legal target?

M

Multani

Sorry...
Not Terror. Exile.
Let's say you exile it, and they make it white, can you exile again?

Z

Zadok001

In response to the change? Sure. But they'll just pay G and make THAT Exile useless too.

I

Istanbul

Ways around Spiritmonger:

Wrath.
Counter (5 mana CC).
Block with a regenerator.
Pacifism (don't laugh).
Ensnaring Bridge (6/6? Good luck...)
Reprisal (Fear this no more!)
Shield Dancer (Yeah, I know, but...it *is* a rebel.)
Equilibrium/gater combo
Obliterate (the ultimate answer)

Spiritmonger is unfairly costed, yes. But there ARE ways around it...

H

HumanError

Everyone's pointing out ways around the Spirit Monger, and completely missing the fact that these are ways around ANY and EVERY creature. Any creature is going to be offed by a Wrath of God.

All these lists you guys are making are utterly worthless.

The problem with Spirit Monger is how good it is DESPITE the millions of ways to get rid of it. Those ways work on any creature. Spirit Monger is good because it's been ludicrously undercosted for its abilities. In this environment, is it really that hard to get the two colored mana to put him into play? At 5cc, he's certainly not cheap, but he's a bargain compared to your other options. He comes out fast, and even if you use a removal spell to get rid of him, that's one less removal spell you're holding for all of his friends to come and pound you into the ground.

We've been through all this before. People were making lists of how to get rid of Masticore and Blastoderm and it didn't really stop those two from going on and destroying people, did it?

D

Duel

Is blastoderm really that good?

Wrath
Route
Counter
Block with a regenerator
Block with 3 creatures
Block with a bigger creature
Pernicious Deed for 4
Defiant vanguard (BTW, this is the rebel to kill the monger)
Wave of Reckoning
Ensnaring Bridge
Shield Dancer
Obliterate

There are ways to kill any creature.
Is Morphling really that good?
Tap them out and then targeted removal
Block with a creature with power of 6 or greater
Wrath
Route
Counter
Obliterate
Jokulhaups
In extended, this list can go on forever.

Spiritmonger is not invincible. It IS environment-altering.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Duel
Is blastoderm really that good?
There are ways to kill any creature.
Is Morphling really that good?
Tap them out and then targeted removal
Block with a creature with power of 6 or greater
Wrath
Route
Counter
Obliterate
Jokulhaups
In extended, this list can go on forever.

Spiritmonger is not invincible. It IS environment-altering.
Yes. Morphling really IS that good.

Tap out a blue player? Not bloody likely, not if the blue player is smart.
Block with a creature with power>6? Doesn't work. Morphling's toughness is effectively limited only by the amount of mana available.
Wrath/Rout? Sure. Sneak that past a wall o' countermagic.
Counter? No wise blue player will play Morphling before he has a counter for your counter.
Jokulhaups? Never happen. Not at six mana.
Obliterate? Yes, that works. On everyone.

You forgot three.
Block with a flyer with toughness>5. Mahamoti Djinn will never die in combat with Morphling.
Block with a flyer that can survive any combat. Fog of Gnats, Fog Bank...
Reuseable Fog effects. Peacekeeper, Dawnstrider...Constant Mists, in a pinch...

Z

Zadok001

Just for the record, Defiant Vanguard doesn't kill the Monger...

H

HumanError

There. You went and made another list, Duel. Don't do that, it's pointless in the context.

Istanbul was on the right track when he was talking about Morphling but the bottom line is this...

Spiritmonger will have an impact on the environment comparable to Blastoderm.

Everyone made a list of ways to deal with Blastoderm and Spiritmonger, but if all of these ways are soooooo effective, explain to me why it is that people are STILL having problems with them. They're threats. Big ones. People are building decks with certain cards in them specifically designed to fend off BLASTODERM. Nightscape Familiar is all well and good but is making the rounds because it can defend against BLASTODERM.

Spiritmonger doesn't have untargetability, which makes it moderately weaker. But it's got regeneration, it gets bigger when you chump it, and you can rotate it's color. On top of that, it's a 6/6 coming out WAY too early in the game. THAT'S why it's so ballyhooed, and no amount of lists is going to stop it when it comes for you. (Geez, that sounded very, very WWF.)

C

Captain Caveman

How about a casual/Multi-player review of some of the new cards? I picked out a few and made a comment or two.

(note: This is strictly a short Casual/Multi-player review of a few cards and my first thought.)

Symbiotic Deployment 2G
Enchantment
Skip your draw step.
1, Tap two untapped creatures you control: Draw a card.
Rare

Its going to be quite abit of fun with Awakening and maybe Aluren.

The Penumbra guys should be good for Multi-player.

Suppress 2B
Sorcery
Target player removes all cards in his or her hand from the game face down. At the end of that player's next turn, that player returns those cards to his or her hand.
Uncommon

My first thought was the Blue Avatar. Then I thought, is this a semi-Time Walk?

Necravolver 2B
Creature - Volver
Kicker 1G and/or W
If you paid the 1G kicker cost, Necravolver comes into play with two ? counters on it and has trample.
If you paid the W kicker cost, Necravolver comes into play with a ? counter on it and has "Whenever Necravolver deals damage, you gain that much life."
2/2
Rare

This is almost a Black Kavu Titan.

Ice Cave 3UU
Enchantment
Whenever a player plays a spell, any other player may pay that spell's mana cost. If a player does, counter the spell.
Rare

This should be real crazy in Multi-player.

Ceta Sanctuary 2U
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a red or green permanent, draw a card then discard a card from your hand. If you control a red and a green permanent, instead draw two cards, then discard a card from your hand.
Uncommon

Its probably a really bad card but the first thing I thought of was some kind of Reanimator deck.

Emblazioned Golem 2
Artifact Creature - Golem
Kicker X
Spend only colored mana on X. No more than one mana of each color may be spent this way,
If you paid the kicker cost, Emblazioned Golem comes into play with X ? counters on it.
Uncommon

I'll probably put a couple of these in my casual Domain deck. It really depends on whether
it as any power and toughness to begin with.

Dragon Arch 5
Artifact
2, T: Put a multicolored creature card from your hand into play.
Uncommon

Should be interesting with the Invasion and old school Dragon Legends.

Quicksilver Dagger 1UR
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has, "T: This creature deals 1 damage to target player. You draw a card."
Common

This might be a lot of fun on that Urza's Saga crab.

Z

Zadok001

I find it fairly amusing that Spiritmonger appears to be the 'solution' to Blastoderm we've all been looking for. Too bad it's an equally big (well, really, +1/+1 bigger) problem in an of itself...

M

Mundungu

The bigest problem I see with Spiritmonger is its doubly undercosted nature.

Not only is he undercosted by himself, 5 cc for a 6/6 with exellent abilities, but it is in both colors that have access to mana acceleration.
Green with the birds / elves
Black with Dark ritual.

that guy could potentially come out on turn 2 with a "god" draw.
Forest-bird
Swamp or forest, Dark ritual, Spiritmonger. Start the clock, you won't have long to live ...

N

Namielus

Spiritmonger is just good. It's just good. It's not invincible, but it will be the best creature in the format when it comes out.

[Ooops. This is actually posted by Duel - Namielus forgot to sign out. You can blame Duel for all the insulting stuff I just edited into this - Erm, nevermind. --Zadok001]

Z

Zadok001

We've got it all figured out. Thanks directly to the brillance of Sean Pearson and Russell Sherman (aka Duel), we have discovered the true meaning of Pernicious Deed's flavor text.

"'Yawgmoth,' Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, 'now you will pay for your treachery.'"

Obviously, what this REALLY means is that, in response to Treachery, Pernicious Deed was activated, removing the targetted creature. Since Treachery never entered play, it was, indeed, not free. :)

God, we have too much spare time. Save us.

C

Cateran Emperor

[slaps Zadok around] That was just pathetic ;)

Of course, here I am responding to that, so what does that make me? :eek:

D

Duel

Hey, that was a perfectly maniacal use of five minutes of school time that could be spent having people in Social Studies yell at me....

A

Apollo

You know what? Spiritmonger may be very good, but at least everyone is complaining about a creature ruining a format instead of some Academy/Replenish/Memory Jar gobbledygook.:)

Z

Zadok001

Apollo, congrats. You just made my day. :) (Of course, it's been a sort of crappy day, but still!)