For you new people: Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DÛke

...you have a good point Apollo, but, you have to admit, that, no matter what we screw up, NOTHING would be as fearful as technology:).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Now another guy has jumped in (Apollo). It's a good thing it seems he agrees with me on most points or I'd have to resort opening another window so I can keep cutting and pasting and referring to this thread ;)

Multani: I agree with you that at this point, this does seem like a lemon. However, any good debate starts out with opinions with facts or different sources to back them up. The way I see it, if one side has more evidence supporting their side, it has a greater realm of possibility. So far "my" side has offered other sources (brain myth) and "common sense" (of course I'm biased :)) to refute the other side's claims. I really haven't seen their evidence yet.

DUke: These should more be titles "Fact or Opinion".

1. Humans are more intelligent than they think.
-I think this is a fact because humans do posses undiscovered talents. I think that what's covering this talent(s) is the technology, since we over use it, which is ok, since it's our nature.
This is not a fact per se, but I agree with it in that there are always more to learn and thus become "more intelligent". "Undiscovered talents" is an iffy statement though; I recognize the possibility of it but it's definitely not a fact.

2. Technology caused human to think less in some catagories:
-I think this is a fact. Humans depdend on technology too much now a days.
I'll agree with this but still am hesitant to label this a fact. Of course, the flip side of the statement is that techonolgy has caused humans to think MORE in some categories, which I think is true also. So honestly I think this category is negated.

3. Technology is the key to success.
-Fact. Yes, if it isn't, we wouldn't be here, at the CPA, discussing this over the net. Heck, we might not be a live.
Key to success at what? Life? Work? Again, it's too broad... I might characterize it as a PATH to success.

4. Technology, also, is the key to disaster.
-Fact. Yes, as we develop, there's no telling as to what might happen. It could be good, it could be bad, but, since nothing could be classified as completely "perfect", we can't call
technology "perfect". One wrong step, and it will all get out of hand. If abused, technology is the master of all disasters.
Strictly technically, this COULD be true but as I said before, I believe it is humans themselves that would misuse the technology to cause disasters. Technology is a tool, nothing more, and it's up to the user to decide how it is to be wielded.

5. Humans are not the perfect species.
-Fact. Unless, that is, we're egocentric.
I think this is the only one I will agree as fact :)

D

DÛke

...ok, so, based on you, Spidy, we are nothing but an opinion?
That's very true.
I agree with you to the fulliest.

Technology is not the success
Technology is not the distruction
There may be news to learn
We maybe stronger than we think
BUT we will always be not perfect

How's that?

D

DÛke

...not at all...

We just have to see the other points of view and try to "influence" but not "change" them.

I guess we said all that is said:)!
We're done, whoooooooooooo!

*reaches for his medicine hoping to recover a long headache:)*

W

Whimsical

I thought that argument would never end. <sighs gustily> At least it's over now from the look of things. <puts down the mallet with which she was about to bip every participant of the thread with>

No more posting on this thread about technology and its various merits and flaws, gentlemen... <waves the mallet with a grin> I mean it. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We don't want you to go around bipping people, now do we? :)

Although on a semi-serious not, Thallid Ice Cream Man (TICM) hasn't replied so it may not be over yet...

M

Multani

Glad that's over.
Spidy: Your right. Some debates do eventually end. :D

G

Gizmo

I knew the Mage: The Ascension rulebook would have something to say on the subject:

"...the moment you open your mouth to say one thing about the nature of reality, you automatically have a whole set of enemies who have already said reality is something else...Writing a metaphysics is, in the strictest sense of the word, a degenerate activity."
-Robert Persag, Lila

Duke, and anybody else who has been keeping this provocative thread alive, you should read the Mage: The Ascension rulebook - you`d love it. Even if you aren`t a roleplayer try to borrow a copy and read it through because it provides a great framework into which you can organsise your own beliefs about reality. I`ve lent my copy to several friends who aren`t roleplayers or games players of any kind and they have all enjoyed it (and several took up Mage afterwards).

"We like to think that the universe is simple and comprehensible, but the universe is under no obligation to live up to our expectations."
Joe Primack, theorist at the University Of California

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

All I want to say is that in my personal opinion, the reason why I think technology is not all it is cracked up to be is that a huge amount of technology is redundant, based on negating other technology. I agree with the compromise in that a large portion (nowhere near all of it, though) of technology is either extremely handy, or so close to being necessary that anyone who tried to forgo using it would probably die.
That's it. I don't need to type the large rebuttal that was forming in my mind, as few would listen anyway.

D

DÛke

...are those quotes from the book! They're great:)!
I'm gonna buy the book, although I don't read at all, I'll try and see what I could come up with.

"We like to think that the universe is simple and comprehensible, but the universe is under no obligation to live up to our expectations."
Is that quote take from the book?
It EXACTLY resembels my thoughts about the universe and reality as a whole...Great!

N

Neil Rigby

My name is Neil Rigby which is why my user name is Neil Rigby. A novel idea I know but someone had to try it. :smile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
... incurring the wrath of others for keeping the thread alive and maybe being pelted with rocks and stones... :)

In response to TICM, without any specific examples to go from it's hard to say where you're coming from, but I would say most technology has improved existed technology; thereby making it redundant but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

D

Duel

Spidey, I learned long ago not to argue beliefs when either you or your counterpart use self-sustaining arguments. Nobody will be settled.

what I am proud of is that this thread has done what I learned to do. People said what they thought should be said, and then, stopped. when there's not more to say, nobody should say anything.

I don't give my name out online, but you can just call me "That Freak." Everyone else does.

T

Thrash Golem

this is off topic!!

off topic alert the pony police will eat your face off

Status
Not open for further replies.