For you new people: Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FoundationOfRancor

I was just thinking; We refer to each other using our names alot, so there should be some sort of legend for them new memebers.
so...

The Magic Jackal: Jordan
(Also know as "deathsicle")

FoundationOfRancor: Casey
(Also known as "ShadyMilkMan")

Almindhra: Doe or domenique.

Ed Sullivan: Mike

DUKe: Duke (Just in case you guys didnt pick up on that)

Dw: Is it dennis?

Multani: John

Thats all I can think of at this moment. Im sorry if I forgot someone! If you wanna post your name, do it!

D

DÛke

May I please ask why you call yourself "MasterOfDisaster"?
I'm just curious:).

N

nanokill

hmmmmm.....i am not sure i wish to reveal my identity at this time....i will enventually.....maybe another time....just not right now.......:D

N

Namielus

Well I'm peter and cuze zadok isn't here to stop me he is know as david

Oh yea and duel will ALWAYS BE CALLED DUEL EVEN IN RL!

T

Thrash Golem

you can call me joivcnpoeghargnpowtiaywpfijpnkfenfoian

or kevin

H

Hawaiian mage

Okay, so you don't believe there is a 4th demension. How do you know that?

Okay, take this for example. You travle to the second demension some how. But your still 3-D. So you decide to go grabb some unsuspecting 2-D guy and drag him out of his demension. Well the only demensions he has ever expiranced are up, down, left, and right. Well when you take him out, he's still 2-D. He cannot tell where he is, he cannot see that now he is 3-D becuase he is still flat and helpless.

Now, if you were somehow to expiriance this, you would probably never know. It is imposible for us to figure out if there is in fact a fourth demension. It's there, but we just can't comprehend it with useing only 25% of our brains(as you ourself quoted)

That's why I thought my quote was funny. It's so obviouse to you but the 2-D guy can't figure it out. How obviouse is it to the 4-D guy? How much is he luaghing at our stupidity? We will never know.

D

DÛke

...mind can not comprehend the fourth dimension.
I didn't say I don't believe in it, I said, it's called: Time. There's length, depth, hieght, and time, which is very hard to comprehend.

The 4-D guy is the guy that realizes the human brain AS IT IS, and not AS IT SHOULD BE.

G

Gizmo

Mathematics has already proven that NINE dimensions exist. The standard four we can percieve, and another fve that you only get in the realms of pure Maths.

One of the few instances where these dimensions become relevant in the 'physical' world is with sub-atomic particles. Sub-atomic particles have an attribute called Spin, which can be either 0.5, 1, or 2. A particle with a spin value of 1 has to rotate 360 degrees to return to it`s original orientation. A particle with a spin value of 2 only rotates 180 degrees before it returns to it`s original position. A particle with a spin value of 0.5 has to rotate 720 degrees, when it has rotated 360 degrees it is facing in the opposite direction to that which it began facing.

We, quite literally, only know the half of it.

D

DÛke

You are over exaggerating Giz.
We humans don't know not even 20 percent of it to begin with.
Humans tend to make rules for themselves - they treat them as a borders that can not be crossed. Once a "border" has been created, you will follow the normal and "logic" life of the rest of the society: you will accept what the others accept, you will reject and they reject, and you will do as your rules and the society wants. When you tend to see, hear, or do something that is unnatural to the world and to the laws of nature, you will classify it as an unlogical occurance and that it would never repeat again.
The rules humans made have made the humans a more complex, but yet, lower life form then the humans of the past.

Humans of the past, and by past, I mean by millions of years, did not follow rules; they didn't create rules to follow in the first place. In another word, they didn't have limites as to what physical and mental powers they had and obtained. They were mentally and physically powerful beings of this earth.

The current human state is not at its best at all. More and more rules are being created over time - more and more borders are being set up to stop us from reaching "outside" the border.

Why do humans assume? What are the rules? Do we, humans, already, know all the rules? What are the rules? Define them? There is no definition. Overtime, the rules have accumelated to an extent that lowered the human being into what we are now; give it millions of years, and the human being will be the lowest life form on earth.

Humans will never be able to fly, in anyway, it's just not right; in another word, it's against the rules that we made ourselves! God dang it, we made the rules ourselves! Can humans fly now? Yes. In many ways: planes are the most common.

What? You mean you're telling me that the Earth is a round sphere rather than flat? You are an insane man. You are crazy, in another word: you are not following the rules we created over time.
Well, guess what, Earth is a globe, a round sphere! How could that be possible? Sorry, it is.

You mean that this little brown box can have pictures and sound coming from it representing the events in another place? You are obsecure. This is impossible. Or is it? Come now, and see the televisions and dvds and say it's impossible!'

You see that? Most rules are made upon logic. If anything "wiered" happens, even if its seen with ones own eyes, it will be classified as an "impossibility".

Humans don't know nothing.
Until people start breaking the laws, and passing the borders that they, themselves have created, the humans will discover nothing! Nothing! Sure, go ahead, make whatever you want with that nueclear bomb, but still, you'll know nothing...Go ahead, come up with the next big thing...You'll know nothing.

Nothing will happen and nothing will change until the rules are broken and the laws are denied. Nothing will alter until the bordres have been erased.

G

Gizmo

"Humans of the past, and by past, I mean by millions of years, did not follow rules; they didn't create rules to follow in the first place."

You don`t play 'Mage', do you, I can tell.
;)

Humanity`s history is one of imposing rules on the universe. I don`t think you can say that mathematics and physics are entirely creations of the human mind. You began by making the 'Mage' point, that we exist in a purely consensual reality and impose order on chaos by a shared paradigm. And yet although this point is a pure one, it is very hard to make a case for considering it in our everyday lives - if it were the case then it wouldn`t matter if I stopped breathing or not as oxygen-dependency is entirely a creation of my own mind.

Arguing the consensual reality position is actually another way of choosing not to have a position to take - it is not a form of argument rather it is the anti-argument to my argument, only serving to destroy both rather than seek something new.

Interestingly you switched tack completely and moved to argue against yourself by suggesting that aeroplanes and television in some way denote mankind moving beyond barriers or breaking rules. Far from it, these are simply examples of humanity learning what the rules are and playing the game as best they can.

But you are correct, I slightly misworded my closing statement. I heretofore change it to:
"We, quite literally, don`t know the half of it."
Which is what I meant to say originally.

Having re-read what I just wrote it might sound like I was flaming you, which isn`t the case. These sort of discussions are really hard (only Mage had a bunch of philosophy courses has prepared me for them) and it`s very easy to get your argument backwards, which is what you seem to have done.

H

Hawaiian mage

Well now I'm thouroly confused. Is that highschool stuff, of is it what you lean in colledge? My primitive mind can't quite grasp the concept of a sphere that has to turn 720` to spin once.

Ow. I think I just blew a fuse...

D

DÛke

...this is not high school or college stuff. It's not even schooling. It's basic mind construction that makes you say what I and Gizmo just said:).

And Giz, no, I don't play "Mage":).

I think you are kind of wrong Giz.
Learning about the future, for example: the making of the first air plaines and the first TV is NOT advancing in the future: but it's basically a recall. We already know what's going on, it's the borders that keeps us from reaching outside. There's no teacher that can teach you something new...Teachers simply show us what we "already" know. We go to school to "recall" what we already have learned and what we already know, but in a step, or two, we have "forgoten" those concepts, therefore, we need tutors/teachers to lead us and "RE"open our minds to them.

Humans already know everything, but, again, it's the rules and stupidity that keeps us from advancing. What are the rules? And that's my question. What is the rule? What, when you jump you must fall back? When you get hit you must feel pain? What is the complete list? I need to know...Until then, I'm sticking to my own reality:).

By the way, Giz, you know how to talk about that stuff...I want someone who could understand this stuff to talk to. Some people, in here, don't even know what "THEY" are talking about:). We need more people in the CPA to compensate for the losses...

[Edited by DÛke on September 16th, 2000 at 03:51 PM]

H

Hetemti

Think if it this way...

I normal Magic 8 ball is a sphere with a icosahedral die inside a can filled with a dyed solution.
Lets make a Hyper Magic 8 Ball, one with a 4-dimentional icosahedral die inside.

A Hyper Magic 8 Ball is a single entity with a Spin Factor of ½.
You look in the window and the icosahedron says "Today you will be proven wrong."
You turn it 360 degrees. You look at the iccosahedron and it says "Today you will be proven right."
You turn it another 360 degrees. You look at the iccosahedron and it says "Today you will be proven wrong."

Why? You spun the ball in a two dimentional plane, but the icosahedron inside is not a normal icosahedron, but a hypericosahedron, has 400 sides. Instead of passing 20 in one spin as normal, the hypericosahedron only spun 200 sides through our space. Therefore, the Hyper Magic 8 Ball had to be spun again for the orginal portent to return to it's original position.

Groovy, huh?

[Edited by Hetemti on September 16th, 2000 at 03:56 PM]

H

Hawaiian mage

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow...

N

Namielus

I'm not a supersmart person with a PHD and a doctorate and I don't understand the 'way' that spin is defined but the way that a human mind analysis all of it's sensor input, there will be gaps. If a person looks at a mircowave cooking a small item of food that has very little water in it or none, and you didn't know it was a mircowave/how one worked you would think that all that happens is that a small light goes on and then nothing happens.

I'm gonna claim (however wrong this is) that there is only 4 dimensions, mostly because the other dimesions only exist in a magical plane that supposible has no properties and that that plane doesn't exist in way that we can see in reality. Now there most likey is many more dimesions that 9 or whatever you think but trying to understand them is completely beyond humans.

Example; a man that live in only 3 dimesions (length, width, and height) can never move from the place he is at, he knows that there is other things around him but that they will always stay where they are (lets just say that thought doesn't need time). He would never think of the objects around him changing postion, rotational face, or of being able to move himself his world is still and that is the way it is to be. If this man were to be put in our world of 4 dimesions he would have a complete system shock because the whole way him thinks of object location being static and the idea of him moving would be insane. Also he simply would get the idea of 'moving', object at point a takes 10 seconds to get to point b, you most likey couldn't even think of an explaintion for how to think of a 5th dimesion that could be demostrated in reality (sorry math wizards).

In closing the human mind limits how we think of our world so to us there can only be 4 dimesions. And if you say there is more that show me the connection between this dimesions and the others.

"Alien :Can you create energy based multiplies of yourself?
Tick :Whoa, nope.
Alien :Can you destroy the earth?
Tick :Ee gad I hope not that is where I keep all my stuff!"

G

Gizmo

"There's no teacher that can teach you something new...Teachers simply show us what we "already" know. We go to school to "recall" what we already have learned and what we already know, but in a step, or two, we have "forgoten" those concepts, therefore, we need tutors/teachers to lead us and "RE"open our minds to them."

I prefer:
"I do not teach, I simply reveal."
- Enlightened Tutor
:)

So, Duke, your paradigm is that the laws of Physical reality are a construction that has limited the potential for humanity? Hmm, not sure if I could bring myself to believe that because I take a scientific approach to understanding my reality and it goes against all empirical evidence thus gathered. It`s a denial of consensual reality, which seems to be in the realms of pure theory as opposed to something you can attempt to prove or disprove.
But I do need to write all this down, it would be a wicked paradigm for an Ecstatic mage.

As for where I got the Sub-atomic bit from it was in the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I used it in pubs for days, to a generally "Wow, makes you think dunnit." response. Then I told my brother, who`s studying Physics at Edinburgh University, and apparently it`s 101 stuff on their pure maths course.

Status
Not open for further replies.