First few Darksteel cards revealed

R

Reverend Love

Spiderman

Or use that white guy that makes artifacts untargetable...
Good idea. He'd make great blocker while setting up the cards as well...maybe even dare a little Exile madness as well?

*Yea, I'm currently fixated on Exile..I do that every so often. Come across a card that interests me and make all possible efforts to put it into a deck*

hmmm...

I

Istanbul

I like it with black. Ebonblade Reaper, Headhunter, Cabal Executioner, Woebearer...oh, baby...

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Reverend Love
*Yea, I'm currently fixated on Exile..I do that every so often. Come across a card that interests me and make all possible efforts to put it into a deck*

hmmm...
Me too, its a great card! Its extemely efficient and it totally catches your opponents by surprise. Best use of it so far has been against my friend's TnT deck (Welders, Anger, big beef), he tricked out and attacked me with his hasted Phy Colossus.

"Not only is he remove from the game, but I gain 8 life sucka!"

M

Mikeymike

Blah...(on both the card and the name).

I suppose its not horrible, as it will most likely (at the least) get to swing once as a 5/5 or 4/4, but its not a very inspiring card (compared to something like Skullclamp or Chimeric Egg).

Attachments

N

Notepad

I hate that card. It is bad. The name is bad. The art is bad. It's like its just demanding to be flushed down the toilet upon sight. If I ever get one of these foil in a pack, I'll have it stapled to my butt, Jackass style.

...oh, wait...that means I'm gonna have to do that...

I mean, if I get a foil one in a pack, I'm gonna...er, um...take a picture of a dog taking a dump on it, ala that famous SCG picture of a dog dumping on Psychatog. And if the dogs won't cooperate, then I know the cats will! :D

This poor crappy card will only be mildly useful three years from now when everyone stops playing artifacts due to Odyssey Block II being in print.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess there isn't a card preventing artifacts from coming into play :)

I don't know what you can do in the Type 2 or Mirrodin block environment to offset the liability. I guess give him haste so we can swing right away and hope your opponent doesn't have any of those "play as an instant" artifacts.

N

Notepad

In tournaments this guy will likely not see too much play. However, in casual it will be a ball-buster, lemme tell you!

With all the artifact mana out there, you can play this sucker on turn two or three, consistently. So the opponent gets their own early turns to react. How likely is it they'll even be playing removal in casual? How likely is it that this thing beating on them before they can even cast a Ravenous Baloth is gonna be a problem?

See what I'm getting at? The solution is you have to play removal. The end result is we play a little more like tourney folks...having to carry answers in every deck.

T

train

I'd run it in tourneys, mainly because all the fst artifcats will be out before he's cast, and you can always make sure he had haste, and bounce/slide him to rejuvenate his counters...

I

Istanbul

Train has the right of it. He'll generally show up after everyone is done playing their blindingly fast artifacts, and will be slow to shrink. Even after your opponent has played two artifacts, he's still a 3/3 for 2GG, and that's not terrible. And against goblins, he's ugly and undercosted.

R

Reverend Love

Yea but at least with Blastoderm you got some sort of useful ability with your criiter. All this dude does is get smaller....and thus suck harder.

Suck it long...and suck it HARD Trebek!
SNL

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by SeFRo
The solution is you have to play removal. The end result is we play a little more like tourney folks...having to carry answers in every deck.
I like to play control decks, so I do that anyway. Plus, even in casual, you should have removal :)

M

Mikeymike

This guy might not seem too exciting at first (and in reality he's not), but I think this is a pretty nifty card.

In a mono-black beatdown deck he is a 3-power creature on turn 3 (though only costing 2), with evasion, and can get around Story Circle/CoP Black. Not bad.

What I don't like about this (along with the other "Affinity for Basic Lands") is that it does not want you to anything but those basics. In type 2, that means no artifact lands. In Type 1/ext that means no early game Ports, Lake of the Dead, LoAs, etc. (though usually if you are playing with those cards you are packing more dangerous stuff than Dross Golem). Though I do like that a Turn 1 Mox/Sol Ring gets him out on turn 2, there is crazier stuff to be done.

Anyway, I think its a nifty idea, especially nice in a common cycle.

By the way, the list is up to 94

Attachments

N

Nightstalkers

Yay! Point for our side! (BLACK)

Nightstalker Lazarus

R

Reverend Love

would've been nice if they'd kept these critters within each color's respective tribe.

N

Nightstalkers

I was just thinking about using a Breeding Pit and this new mirrodin card together.... could work, but not too fast though.

Nightstalker Exterra

Attachments

M

Mefta16

The Spawning Pit looks good. I think it'd best work in a weenie rush deck. It seems too me that there'll be alot of charge counters in the darksteel set.

N

Nightstalkers

Just got a look at another card=

Nuisance Engine
Type: Artifact
Non-Foil Uncommon
Artist: Stephen Tappin
Edition: MD

2, T: Put a 0/1 Pest artifact creature token into play.

All Auriok children know the tale, "Bolgri and the Long Day of Squashing."

Now you have a T2 workable machine :)

Nightstalker Exterra