First few Darksteel cards revealed

N

Notepad

I pulled these from various posts at MTGnews.com, and they said they pulled them from SCG, so go figure. ANyway, here are some new cards coming in Darksteel:

Purge
1W
Instant
Destroy target artifact creature or black creature. It can't be regenerated.
For the first and last time, the horrific creature experienced terror.
Uncommon
Illus. Pete Venters
12/165

Darksteel Colossus
Artifact Creature
Trample
Darksteel Colossus is indestructible ("Destroy effects" and lethal damage don't destroy it.)
If Darksteel Colossus would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal Darksteel Colossus and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.
11/11
Illus. Carl Critchlow
109/165

CARDNAME
Artifact Creature - Golem
Flying
Affinity for islands
2/3
(part of a cycle of cards)

Arcbound Bruiser
(as attached image)

I like the new ideas. Purge bothers me in this block, and has inspired me to write a rant about the Color Wheel.

Attachments

N

Notepad

It reminds me a lot of the Visions set Chimeras, except this Modular thing is waaaaay more abusable! :D

T

train

I'm counting 4 cards... guess i'll have to view the other sites for the 5th...:cool:

N

Notepad

there's been five cards revealed so far? wowza, me's wants to know the full spoilers, I does...

N

Nightstalkers

Screw the modular ability, I can so abuse that colossus!

11 mana and its an artifact, Hmm.... I"ll just pull of a "bulletproof monk" deck. Only without the monks.

Nightstalker Habuki

N

Nightstalkers

What is the set icon? it looks linda like a ring or something.

Nightstalker Exterra

N

Notepad

There's a zoom in image at MTGnews.com (and I'm too lazy to cut and paste upload it here), and it looks rather like a helm, or a golem's head.

I did a double take on that Darksteel Colossus. Definitely abusable. Right now it "looks like a casual card" but since its so powerful I wonder if players will attempt to put it into tourney decks. Can't be used with recursion, can't be cheapened...but for some reason I have an itch that somebody's gonna struggle to fit this sucker in alongside the "formerly analyzed as casual" Broodstar.

BTW~ I still have my foot in my mouth about Mirrodin brining a bigger meaning to the false trample of 8E. I'm gonna stick with that opinion and say that Darksteel is gonna be the thing to make that happen. That way, when I'm proven wrong again, I get to put BOTH of my feet in my mouth!!! :D

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Mr_Pestilence
I like "modular" with Power Conduit.
Based on the wording of modular, I'm assuming that it moves whatever counters are currently on the creature when it dies. We'll have to wait and see. With Power Conduit, this would be insane otherwise. Use it 3 times to kill the creature and get 3 more to distribute? I suspect that's not how it works, though.

H

Hetemti

I wonder if there will be a stupid combo built around it...like a rare that comes into play, kills all modulars, and takes their counters or something.

Or an artifact Spike so you can keep reloading it with the Mods.

I

Istanbul

Spike Rogue (or whatever, the black guy that eats +1/+1 counters) + Arcbound Bruiser = a minimum of a 6/6.

R

Reverend Love

I wonder if you could make a deck using the Colossus, Plated Slagwurm, Molder Slug and Living Hive (cards I just tossed in there) along with Gate to Aether... That would be interesting indeed. Once the CC portion is removed while yes your opponent gains advantage of GtA as well your slapping these fatties into play which otherwise would be nigh impossible.

EEeh, anyways Colossus looks awefully spiffy.

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Istanbul
Spike Rogue (or whatever, the black guy that eats +1/+1 counters) + Arcbound Bruiser = a minimum of a 6/6.
Spike Cannibal
1BB
Spike Cannibal comes into play with one 1/1 counter on it.
When Spike Cannibal comes into play, move all 1/1 counters from all creatures onto Spike Cannibal.

That would make Spike Cannibal a 4/4 with the Arcbound Bruiser, not a 6/6 and not a 7/7.

Of course, as stated previously, this could be wrong based on the ruling for Modular, but the way I read the reminder text, this is what is implied.

B

BigBlue

Even if it did give an additional 3 counters... Spike Cannibal isn't an artifact creature...

I

Istanbul

It doesn't matter. I misread Modular (as I imagine a lot of people will at first).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by SeFRo
BTW~ I still have my foot in my mouth about Mirrodin brining a bigger meaning to the false trample of 8E. I'm gonna stick with that opinion and say that Darksteel is gonna be the thing to make that happen. That way, when I'm proven wrong again, I get to put BOTH of my feet in my mouth!!! :D
What are you gonna eat when you predict it'll be in the third expansion? ;)

T

train

I like some of the cards coming out so far... I've said this would be the black and red set - but white is looking mighty interesting...

W - 1/1 - 2/2 First strike if equipped - oh look it gets another +1/+1 and can't be targeted by spells and abilities - beef...

Glad I have my peacekeepers...