First few Darksteel cards revealed

I

Istanbul

No. That artifact is AWFUL. It is NOT a free mulligan.

You remove the cards in your hand *from the game*.

No.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Spiderman
What are you gonna eat when you predict it'll be in the third expansion? ;)
I think after the shoes, one has to eat their socks. I'll make sure to hike for like five hours beforehand, though.

Not sure what comes after socks, though. Maybe somebody knows...

A

Apollo

Eh, I'm not impressed at all by that list. I didn't see a single card that made me immediately say "I want that!" Maybe the rest of the set will change things.

I've gotta question though...

If I've got an Echoing Courage ("Target creature and all other creatures with the same name as that creature get +2/+2 until end of turn."), can I name "Squirrel token" or some such? Do tokens have names?

What if I name all my squirrels Ethel?

H

Hetemti

At least Indestructibility explains the need for Sword of Kaldra, since the Remove effect will kick when the damage doesn't send the critter packing.

M

Master Shake

tokens and face down creatures do not have a name.

Sorry Apollo.

H

Hetemti

Token creatures have both name and type. They are always the same. Hence a Squirrel Token is a Squirrel named Squirrel.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Apollo: If you're serious (which I'm not sure since you threw in that "Ethel" line), there's actually strict rules now on what you can "name" as a creature type on cards like these.

SeFRo:
Not sure what comes after socks, though
Kneepads? Leidenhose? :D

T

train

From the comp rules:

216. Tokens

216.1. Some effects put token creatures into play. A token is controlled by whomever put it into play and owned by the controller of the spell or ability that created it. The spell or ability may define any number of characteristics for the token. A token doesn’t have any characteristics not defined by the spell or ability that created it. The spell or ability that creates the token sets both its name and creature type at the same time. A “Goblin creature token,” for example, is named “Goblin” and has the creature subtype Goblin. If a token’s name is two words or more, it has the creature subtype for each of those words. For example, a “Goblin Scout creature token” is named “Goblin Scout” and has two creature subtypes: Goblin and Scout. Once a token is in play, changing its name doesn’t change its creature type, and vice versa.

216.2. A token is subject to anything that affects permanents in general or that affects the token’s type or subtype. A token isn’t a card (even if represented by cards from other games or Unglued cards).

216.3. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist. This is a state-based effect. (Note that a token changing zones will set off triggered abilities before the token ceases to exist.) Once a token has left play, it can’t be returned to play by any means.

;)

as for what's after socks - toe-jam!!!...

:eek:

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Istanbul
No. That artifact is AWFUL. It is NOT a free mulligan.

You remove the cards in your hand *from the game*.

No.
Actually I think it might be pretty strong. In the right kind of build, playing with a 53 card deck can potentially be quite good. I doubt its going to be anything close to a chase rare, but I suspect it will prove its usefulness.

It is most definitely aimed towards competitive play, and I can see post sideboard someone throwing a hand away to allow themelves to get that much closer to their sideboard hate. I.E. you don't get your CoP Red, so you pitch the hand giving you another shot with 7 fewer cards to dig through this time.

Affinity might be able to use it as well, being that it is artifact mana at the worst.

T

train

you can always wish for things later - great for type 1 when you don't get the hand you need right off!...

Oh yeah - i said it - type 1!!!...

M

Mikeymike

List up to 48.

The newest 12 can be found here

New Highlights include:

Arcbound Ravager - 2
Artifact Creature (R)
Sacrifice an artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on Arcbound Ravager.
Modular 1 (This comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it. When it's put into a graveyard, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
0/0

Chromescale Drake - 6UUU
Creature - Drake (R)
Affinity for Artifacts
Flying
When Chromescale Drake comes into play, reveal the top three cards of your library. Put all artifact cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.
3/4

Memnarch - 7
Artifact Creature - Wizard Legend (R)
1UU: Target permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
3U: Gain control of target artifact. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
"In the blur between metal and flesh, Memnarch found madness."
4/5

T

train

another blue wizard...

and don't say he's not blue...

it's not white mana stealing the creatures...:rolleyes:

T

train

Although it's stealing creatures...

He was the preacher... and white also had land destruction - armageddon... and artifact destruction - disenchant, and the most powerful removal - swords, and ...

But this is preposterous!!!

"White Power, Down with the Blues!!! White Power, Down with the Blues!!!"

"Where's the clan when you need a few members of it working for WoTC!!!"

:rolleyes:

:p

N

Notepad

I think even the clan got scared away by the sheer cheapness of the lying bass turds already working there.

Imagine, being such trash you scare away the trashiest of rednecks...

Simply sad.

R

Reverend Love

Preacher was cool, I just picked up four Witch Hunters, in my opinion the shinning star of The Dark's white offerings. This dude is WAY outta the pie chart...and for those of you unfamiliar with the hunter of witches here he is:

Tap: Witch Hunter deals 1 damage to target player.
WW,T: Return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
..a Prodigal Sorcerer AND Temporal Adept all rolled into one..but cheaper to activate!

R

Reverend Love

Eater of Days

Artifact Creature - Leviathan
Flying, trample
When Eater of Days comes into play, you skip your next two turns.
When Mirrodin's varied civilizations developed ways to fight the levelers, Memnarch upped the stakes.
9/8
Think this guy is good enough to make it into type one's Masknaught?

==============Edit===========

Or you could even use his "drawback" towards your advantage. An example would be Stacks (sorry to lazy to write it out).

Go ahead and tap 3 permanents while sac'ing one..ooh and do it twice. After that I'll be coming over with my 9/8 flying trampling fatasauraus
I could really see this guy being used in combo to make your opponent "Time Stretch" into two painful turns with upkeep/turn sensitive effects(during your opponents turn).

Yeessss...mussst combooo *slithers off*

T

train

Or you could make sure you fireshriek him, lightning greaves him, and just stifle his ability!...;)